Author Topic: chadz, we want the classic version of CRPG  (Read 15602 times)

Offline Stabby_Dave

• Count
  • Renown: 197
  • Infamy: 34
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stabby_Dave, Squelch, Dave_The_Longbowman, Faggy_Dave
  • IRC nick: Stabby
Re: chadz, we want the classic version of CRPG
« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2011, 11:29:02 am »
The game is very balanced as it it. The problem is that more people play a ranged/ranged hybrid class than anything else and getting shot/killed by ranged is far more frustrating than getting killed by melee so rage makes people scream NERF NERF NERF when if you look at it objectively, there's no need.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #31 on: December 13, 2011, 11:53:34 am »
+1
I'm quite sure they mean the xp/gold rewards for being near the action. Personal rewards for kills is a horrible system and I don't think anyone wants that back.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2011, 11:56:54 am »
+1
personal rewards for kills is a horrible idea. Even if it was just 1g 1xp for a kill, people would go apeshit to get killing blows.

There's nothing competitive about people madly swinging like crazy among teammates just to get the last hit. In any case, if it were to be implemented, it would have to come with the exponential TK penalty we had.. :D

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 13, 2011, 11:58:56 am »
Can't we have both? A small reward for being near the action and the normal tick? Or am i being stupid?

(Maybe tweak the values a bit to prevent getting too much xp and gold)
I don't like it. If you're not near the action it will allways feel like you miss something/do something wrong.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #34 on: December 13, 2011, 12:00:12 pm »
+2

personal rewards for kills is a horrible idea. Even if it was just 1g 1xp for a kill, people would go apeshit to get killing blows.

I take it your only playing on duel server ??

Try joining eu1 right now an come back an say to us that people dont go apeshit to get the killing blows...  sameshit with or without gold... bad argument for against personal reward..

Dont take me wrong i don't mind the current system but it wouldn't be so bad if we had something else then the current total random broken valour system for showing some reward for skill.
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #35 on: December 13, 2011, 12:08:34 pm »
+2
I'm not arguing it's more fair or anything, just more fun. People like getting them gold and xp ticks. There is something satisfying in being part of / near a big massacre and seeing the xp and gold ticks go nuts for a minute. I kinda miss that. I remember in the old system just standing near the action, trying desperately to survive the onslaught as long as possible, seeing the ticks roll in.

And to be fair, the current system of multipliers does kinda encourage an passive approach to battles. If you are at x4 or x5 on a hilly plains map, for example, the best strategy is often a very passive approach of hilltop camping, because well... defence works and you also want to prolong the round as much as possible to maximize the gold and xp you get.

Building in a little reward for kills or for being near the kills isn't that bad. The trick is to make it balanced in such a way that it doesn't impact overall xp and gold gains too much but still give the satisfaction of seeing and knowing your team is doing good.

The multiplier system rewards teamplay and wins. That is great. But why not allow for a little bit of 'hey, you just smacked a guy over the head and killed him, here's a cookie'? ;)

Offline BlameMeForTheNoise

• Count
  • Renown: 189
  • Infamy: 21
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guards
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Sonjarr
« Reply #36 on: December 13, 2011, 12:09:04 pm »
I take it your only playing on duel server ??

Try joining eu1 right now an come back an say to us that people dont go apeshit to get the killing blows...  sameshit with or without gold... bad argument for against personal reward..

Dont take me wrong i don't mind the current system but it wouldn't be so bad if we had something else then the current total random broken valour system for showing some reward for skill.

I wholeheartedly agree with this man pair of moving bewbies.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #37 on: December 13, 2011, 12:11:27 pm »
Please Don't Troll

This isn't the thread for it.  This is serious.

he's serious. chadz said that after the big april patch. check it.

Offline MadeForFighting

• Knight
  • Renown: 75
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Wabbajack
  • IRC nick: TrueThing
« Reply #38 on: December 13, 2011, 12:11:51 pm »
The old exp system was terrible for newbies (as one in those times I remember how annoying it was trying to stay alive when elephants and tincans with swords were jumping around and annihilating eachother -.-) and being new-player friendly is propably what crpg needs to grow. It also encourages huge mobs of people just to stack up and beat the crap out of eachother in the middle of the map, eliminating any forms of spreading/flanking/etc. I remember those times as terrible and propably I wouldn't give the mod a chance if not the old Shogunate + the exp per tick change.
Exp ticks, slot system and upkeep system are propably the best things that have been done to crpg, taking that away is just plain dumb. Also, if a server on a old version would be hosted people would just hit their faces against the nostalgia wall, see again for themselves how it really looks and turn around. Waste of time. :P

Can't we have both? A small reward for being near the action and the normal tick? Or am i being stupid?
A way to discourage people from playing ranged is exacly what would be awesome now :P, but making leveling up even faster than now is not the best idea. The normal ticks would propably have to be cut a bit if a bonus to being near the kill would have any right to exist.

It is a good argument and you just helped it - now just imagine those crazy-for-kills people when they will be actually rewarded for it? Double the rampage.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 12:18:21 pm by MadeForFighting »

Buboes, phlegm, blood and guts! Boils, bogeys, rot and pus! Blisters, fevers, weeping sores! From your wounds the fester pours!

Offline Okkam

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2011, 01:08:55 pm »
+4
The old exp system was terrible for newbies (as one in those times I remember how annoying it was trying to stay alive when elephants and tincans with swords were jumping around and annihilating eachother -.-) and being new-player friendly is propably what crpg needs to grow. It also encourages huge mobs of people just to stack up and beat the crap out of eachother in the middle of the map, eliminating any forms of spreading/flanking/etc. I remember those times as terrible and propably I wouldn't give the mod a chance if not the old Shogunate + the exp per tick change.
Exp ticks, slot system and upkeep system are propably the best things that have been done to crpg, taking that away is just plain dumb. Also, if a server on a old version would be hosted people would just hit their faces against the nostalgia wall, see again for themselves how it really looks and turn around. Waste of time.

1. I see more than enough tincans today. Since you can trade your loompoints, money for upkeep is not a big problem. Also, there are too many possibilities to fool this system.
2. I do not see «shieldwalls» or simple «spreading-gathering» at the battle servers. There are no tactics at all today. And «Flanking» was developed in old version. Remember young Thomek, Khorin and other old and cranky ninja?
3. Doubt, that current version of cRPG is friendly for new players. There are too many decent players with godly equip. You need months to even this overwhelming odds. Also - 50%  of all opponents have at least 30 level. Doubt that prejanuary version of cRPG has same statistics. It's not about exp, but about no fun game.
4. Paradigm of current gameplay - grind... grind.. grind... retire... trade loompoint...make full str character in lordly looms... play a god for generation.

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 13, 2011, 01:12:50 pm »
I'm tired
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:15:45 pm by The_Bloody_Nine »

Offline Teeth

• King
  • Renown: 2550
  • Infamy: 1057
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 13, 2011, 01:22:10 pm »
+3
Actually, I might give this one a try. See how long it works out until it crumbles from plated knights on elephants.

Not saying we're doing it, but if we do, understand that:
- support will be almost nonexistant,
- same for updates,
- strategus obviously won't work with it either,
- website will be the old, horrible one

and some other things. We'll discuss it and see if it could hurt the cRPG we actually like to continue improving.
This would be awesome. Just to play it like it was. I think it would do the community some good. If only to prove that the current system is much better. Ooh the nostalgia. Actually the old cRPG version could work, but only if you had like a bimonthly wipe.

I think the current system has its flaws too, but its hard to think of an alternative. The constant leveling was very cool in the first version, but very new player unfriendly. Oh and also the gamebreaking stats.

Still it might be interesting to think of maybe implementing some sort of catch-up system, and bringing some elements from the old system back. That there is indefinite leveling, but that new players gain xp relatively faster, so that they can eventually close the gap.

That's why it got removed. People would just move around in big blobs and clash into each other :D
Still it provided more of an incentive to use tactics and such then now, people needed to stick together, something which is missing now. Cavalry was less spawnraping and all over the place. It kept things focused, it also made roofcamping less of a thing. Mostly there was one roof that both teams fought over. Not several filled with archers.

The old system had its charm, with some rethinking, and using elements from both systems I think this game can be vastly improved. Thats why I think this classic server should be created.

Offline MadeForFighting

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 13, 2011, 01:35:33 pm »
It is pretty friendly for newbs. Skip the fun characters allow for build testing/getting to know the game before creating a dedicated main character that will catch up to that 30 lvl pretty fast. Looms are something that I never liked and while I disagree with the 'god mode' concept (even a full lordly tincan can go down) it is true that looms help a lot and give a pretty decent edge over players that do not have them...but its still friendlier than the ''old'' cRPG, where newbs had to stack a bunch of arena shields and pray to God that noone will notice them in the huge clusterfuck.

edit: typo
« Last Edit: December 13, 2011, 01:43:50 pm by MadeForFighting »

Buboes, phlegm, blood and guts! Boils, bogeys, rot and pus! Blisters, fevers, weeping sores! From your wounds the fester pours!

Offline ManOfWar

• Count
  • Renown: 243
  • Infamy: 36
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • No crutches at all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Remnant_ManOfWar (Formerly Takeda)
  • IRC nick: ManOfWar
« Reply #43 on: December 13, 2011, 01:39:41 pm »
+1
It is pretty friendly for newbs. Skip the fun characters allow for build testing/getting to know the game before creating a dedicated main character that will catch up to that 30 lvl pretty fast. Looms are something that I never liked and while I disagree with the 'god mode' concept (even a full lordly tincan can go down) it is true that looms help a lot and give a pretty decent edge over players that do not have them...but its still friendlier than the ''old'' cRPG, where newbs had to stack a bunch of arena shields and prey to God that noone will notice them in the huge clusterfuck.

I remember that "peasants guide to surviving" guide

Stick with the big tin can! They will get you gold and XP!
Just a soldier

Offline MadeForFighting

• Knight
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 13, 2011, 01:45:48 pm »
Also, the multipliers are a great way to keep people playing. Im hearing something along the lines of "I really gotta leave but goddamn this x5 wont go away" etc. all the time on ts :P