Author Topic: What We're Reading  (Read 38454 times)

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
What We're Reading
« on: February 16, 2011, 06:15:22 pm »
+3
Just as the topic says, since we've got one for music.

I'll start off.

Imagined Communities - Benedict Anderson

The Escapement - K.J. Parker

I think the latter is something a lot of Warband enthusiasts may like, actually, since this community seems to favour medieval settings without magic and references to 'realistic' medieval combat and such. The author claims that every combat scene is a recreation of a historical account.

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
Re: What We're Reading
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 06:39:37 pm »
+2
since you call yourself Kalam I am going to assume you have been reading Steven Erikson.

The enitre Crippled God Series : Steven Erikson
speaks for itself.... its great.  nothing more needs to be said

Anything by K.J Parker
I have read everything he has published so far, and I think he is a very level author when it comes to presenting a tory.  He definately doesnt play favorites, and likes to show his readers how ugly he thinks human nature can be.

Here is a HUGE list of favorites....
I read too much.  seriously.

Series:
The Sun Sword    6 books total.   Michelle Sagara West
Book 1 is: the broken crown
Awesome series.  The first book is a little slow, but very necessary to the overall plot and understanding of the different factions, and WHY they are fighting
Series ends the plotline very well.  Leaves many many story lines still open and waiting to be finished.  But those will be in a different series.  This one is about the sun sword.
Starts AND finishes very strong.  Good reading.   

Perdido Street Station    China Mieville
One of the best F’ing novels you will read
Very good steampunk/horror book.  Once the scientist gets the butterfly, its pretty much not put downable.  I like the spider.

The Scar    China Mieville
Same universe, different char
Fantastic novel.  Love the possibility engine.  Uthor Doul.  UTHOR DOUL!!!!!  Floating cities are awesome.  The end.
Don’t really bother reading the third book (the Iron Council)  not even the same caliber.  Some cool ideas about golems, but not cool enough to read again.

Pandora Star            Peter F Hamilton
Judas Unchained         Peter F Hamilton
Bad. Ass. Series.  Man vs aliens.  There are more books in this universe, but they get all existential like the ender books did after the first one.  These 2 are a must read.  This dude has such a good grasp on science fiction, it’s a shame these are the only 2 out of the 7 books of his I have read that I am recommending.  The second book ends really well, and is totally action packed.  Both space and personal combat.  Its great.  Good wrap up.  I love the wormhole transitions, and the progress to space travel (re-progress, I should say).
His other series that I read was the Neutronium Alchemist books.  Awesome plot lines, and some of the best ideas for realistic space combat I have ever read.  WORST.  ENDINGS.  EVER.  EVAR!
Seriously.  The Stephen King of shitty endings.  If you are going to be writing about Sci FI, then don’t give me a deus ex machina.  I would bet all my future paychecks that he couldn’t figure out how to end this meandering beast, so he shot it with a godlike event horizon with superpowers and called it a day.  What a copout.  Read at your own peril.

The Snow Queen       Joan D Vinge
The Summer Queen    Joan D Vinge
Not really advanced reading, but some really cool ideas.  I loved the biotechnology, and some of the ideas about nanoware getting out of control.

Snow Crash   Neal Stephenson
Read this book.  Its really outdated in terms of actual technology, kinda like how Tron relates to modern computing.  But really entertaining.  Well worth the read

Series:
First Law    5 books     Joe Abercrombie
Book 1 is:  The Blade Itself
Read all the books by Joe.  They were very entertaining.  Even though First law only has three books, there are 5 books in the setting so far.  I liked them all.  You will like the Bloody Nine.  I did.  Cool setting, cool sword fighting, subtle magic.  Very good combination. 

Series:
The Prince of Nothing    5 books.  So far.   R. Scott Bakker
Book 1 is:  The Darkness that Comes Before
Let me preface this by saying I absolutely HATE Khellus.  Very good series.  The Mandate Schoolman is my favorite character.  When you finally see what he is capable of…. Its awesome.  The three book series ended in a way that made me rage and want to do evil things to bad people.  It makes for GREAT reading.  Its not over yet after this series.  He is only half way through the second series in this cycle.  It starts with The Judging Eye (the Aspect Emperor), and the second book comes out this month.  Continues where the first series ended.
The use of magic in this series is compelling.  And the way normal people look at magicians makes for a really cool setting.  Not to mention the sci-fi aspects only hinted at throughout this entire series.  The ark from heaven??  The spear of light??  Yeah…. Judge for yourself.  I loved these books. 

Series:
The Crossroads   3 books   Kate Elliot
The Crown of Stars   7 books  Kate Elliot
I have liked everything that I have read by Kate Elliot.  Nothing spectacular, but 2 very solid series by Kate.  I like the crossroads better, but the crown of stars kept me interested the entire time.  I could write a ton about these books, so you will just have to read them.
Books 1 are:  Spirit Gate, and King’s Dragon

Banewreaker    Jacqueline Carey
Godslayer          Jacqueline Carey
Fantastic mini-series.  Probably the only thing she has written worth reading.  A little similar to LOTR, but WELL worth the reading.  This series is great, and so tragic.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:02:57 pm by jspook »
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 06:48:14 pm »
Simon Sechter's fundamental-bass theory and its influence on the music of Anton Bruckner by Frederick Stocken
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Kalam

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 07:44:43 pm »
since you call yourself Kalam I am going to assume you have been reading Steven Erikson.

The enitre Crippled God Series : Steven Erikson
speaks for itself.... its great.  nothing more needs to be said

Anything by K.J Parker
I have read everything he has published so far, and I think he is a very level author when it comes to presenting a tory.  He definately doesnt play favorites, and likes to show his readers how ugly he thinks human nature can be.

Here is a HUGE list of favorites....
I read too much.  seriously.

Series:
The Sun Sword    6 books total.   Michelle Sagara West
Book 1 is: the broken crown
Awesome series.  The first book is a little slow, but very necessary to the overall plot and understanding of the different factions, and WHY they are fighting
Series ends the plotline very well.  Leaves many many story lines still open and waiting to be finished.  But those will be in a different series.  This one is about the sun sword.
Starts AND finishes very strong.  Good reading.   

Perdido Street Station    China Mieville
One of the best F’ing novels you will read
Very good steampunk/horror book.  Once the scientist gets the butterfly, its pretty much not put downable.  I like the spider.

The Scar    China Mieville
Same universe, different char
Fantastic novel.  Love the possibility engine.  Uthor Doul.  UTHOR DOUL!!!!!  Floating cities are awesome.  The end.
Don’t really bother reading the third book (the Iron Council)  not even the same caliber.  Some cool ideas about golems, but not cool enough to read again.

Pandora Star            Peter F Hamilton
Judas Unchained         Peter F Hamilton
Bad. Ass. Series.  Man vs aliens.  There are more books in this universe, but they get all existential like the ender books did after the first one.  These 2 are a must read.  This dude has such a good grasp on science fiction, it’s a shame these are the only 2 out of the 7 books of his I have read that I am recommending.  The second book ends really well, and is totally action packed.  Both space and personal combat.  Its great.  Good wrap up.  I love the wormhole transitions, and the progress to space travel (re-progress, I should say).
His other series that I read was the Neutronium Alchemist books.  Awesome plot lines, and some of the best ideas for realistic space combat I have ever read.  WORST.  ENDINGS.  EVER.  EVAR!
Seriously.  The Stephen King of shitty endings.  If you are going to be writing about Sci FI, then don’t give me a deus ex machina.  I would bet all my future paychecks that he couldn’t figure out how to end this meandering beast, so he shot it with a godlike event horizon with superpowers and called it a day.  What a copout.  Read at your own peril.

The Snow Queen       Joan D Vinge
The Summer Queen    Joan D Vinge
Not really advanced reading, but some really cool ideas.  I loved the biotechnology, and some of the ideas about nanoware getting out of control.

Snow Crash   Neal Stephenson
Read this book.  Its really outdated in terms of actual technology, kinda like how Tron relates to modern computing.  But really entertaining.  Well worth the read

Series:
First Law    5 books     Joe Abercrombie
Book 1 is:  The Blade Itself
Read all the books by Joe.  They were very entertaining.  Even though First law only has three books, there are 5 books in the setting so far.  I liked them all.  You will like the Bloody Nine.  I did.  Cool setting, cool sword fighting, subtle magic.  Very good combination. 

Series:
The Prince of Nothing    5 books.  So far.   R. Scott Bakker
Book 1 is:  The Darkness that Comes Before
Let me preface this by saying I absolutely HATE Khellus.  Very good series.  The Mandate Schoolman is my favorite character.  When you finally see what he is capable of…. Its awesome.  The three book series ended in a way that made me rage and want to do evil things to bad people.  It makes for GREAT reading.  Its not over yet after this series.  He is only half way through the second series in this cycle.  It starts with The Judging Eye (the Aspect Emperor), and the second book comes out this month.  Continues where the first series ended.
The use of magic in this series is compelling.  And the way normal people look at magicians makes for a really cool setting.  Not to mention the sci-fi aspects only hinted at throughout this entire series.  The ark from heaven??  The spear of light??  Yeah…. Judge for yourself.  I loved these books. 

Series:
The Crossroads   3 books   Kate Elliot
The Crown of Stars   7 books  Kate Elliot
I have liked everything that I have read by Kate Elliot.  Nothing spectacular, but 2 very solid series by Kate.  I like the crossroads better, but the crown of stars kept me interested the entire time.  I could write a ton about these books, so you will just have to read them.
Books 1 are:  Spirit Gate, and King’s Dragon

Banewreaker    Jacqueline Carey
Godslayer          Jacqueline Carey
Fantastic mini-series.  Probably the only thing she has written worth reading.  A little similar to LOTR, but WELL worth the reading.  This series is great, and so tragic.

Yup. Erikson is one of my favourites.  I've been looking for some fiction to read, so I'm going to go through the authors on your list I haven't read and give one a go.

K.J Parker is one of those authors that I can't get enough of, much like Erikson. It's not...entertainment like Erikson is, in that there's not as much poetry, wry humour, or sheer prosaic style, but it still packs a philosophical punch in stories that are terrifyingly gripping. I like the sense of realism that she conveys, and the characters are all stunningly real. Once I'm done with the Engineer Trilogy, I think I've only got the Fencer trilogy left.

Neal Stephenson is phenomenal- if you liked Snow Crash I'd suggest The Baroque Cycle and the works of William Gibson, especially Pattern Recognition. Stephenson's Mongoliad is an experimental multi-platform work I'm interested in checking out, too. Thankfully it's mostly free unlike Modernist Cuisine, which I've been wanting to get my hands on.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:50:19 pm by Kalam »

Offline Fluffy_Muffin

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 429
  • Infamy: 122
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Tribunal
  • Game nicks: Vivec_the_Poet
  • IRC nick: Umbra
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 07:50:45 pm »
+3
A Song of Ice and Fire - George R. R. Martin.

Read alot of epic fantasy novels but this series is just brilliant, best reading i had so far.
Defy me, and you will know what it is to stand against a god.

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 08:13:03 pm »
Once I'm done with the Engineer Trilogy, I think I've only got the Fencer trilogy left.

One of my all time favorites was "the Company"
I really wish there was more of that book.  when I was finished, I just wanted more of everything.   so yeah, parker is awesome
oh, and I just finished "the folding blade" last week.....  heh.  I want the new one that comes out in march.  I have it on pre-order

Oh, and I would have included George RR Martin on my list, but I am SOOOOO F*ING PISSED AT HIM for leaving me hanging for over 6 years on the end of the Feast for Crows and not bothering to finish the series.  If Dance for Dragons EVER gets released I might be happy with him again.
good author, IMO
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 08:15:28 pm by jspook »
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Kalam

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 08:15:50 pm »
Yeah. Alternate clan to Bridgeburners: Linebreakers.

I just finished The Folding Blade two weeks ago, lol. It was very sad.

Offline Draedan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • wat?
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Draedan_PxC, Heavy_Set_PxC, Pure_PxC, GoreHead_PxC
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 04:02:45 am »
+1
HOLY SHIT I WENT TO THE BLOG OF MY FAVORITE BOOK AND THE SECOND IS COMING OUT!!!!

In descending order of how bushy their beards are
The Name of the Wind Book I - Patrick Rothfuss BEST AUTHER IN TEH WORLD
The Wise Man's Fears Book II - Patrick Rothfuss March 2011
I recommend everyone to read these and anything that comes from him^^^^

Raymond E. Feist and his incredibly long series of 28 books, I'm only on 22

The Sword of Truth Series - Terry Goodkind Currently on #6 out of 12 books
In chadz We Trust.
Hint #4: You can invite more men to your party at the tavern
(click to show/hide)

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 04:25:49 am »
Read
Waiting to read
Read
Read

Didn't include any of them because I'm a hater.
I won't even get into why I don't like goodkind.  Meh.  To each his own.....

Edit:  I like kvothe, I like the plotlines.  I just think the story needs work.  All in all its a great first novel, and I hope he develops into a great author.  Its promising, to say the least
« Last Edit: February 17, 2011, 04:37:13 am by jspook »

Offline Warcat

• Earl
  • Renown: 396
  • Infamy: 40
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Mappers Guild
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Warcat_ Village_Elder Merchant_of_Tulga Tavern_Keeper Guild_Master Ramun_The_Slave_Trader
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2011, 04:57:25 am »
Currently I'm reading a thread about books. However I do really like the various WWII books by Stephen Ambrose.
In memory of Fallen_Warcat_, member of Fallen Brigade, ruler of Zagush
Tavern_Keeper #1 NA shielder
Strategus City Improvement Project

Offline Kalam

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2011, 05:16:41 am »
HOLY SHIT I WENT TO THE BLOG OF MY FAVORITE BOOK AND THE SECOND IS COMING OUT!!!!

I liked The Name of the Wind. It was very...readable and Kvothe was very relatable. Used to read Feist's Rift War stuff when I was a kid, and Jimmy the Hand, etc. Definitely enjoyed them then.

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 682
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2011, 06:43:18 am »

I just finished The Clumsiest People in Europe, Or: Mrs. Mortimer's Bad-Tempered Guide to the Victorian World by Todd Pruzan

It's the funniest excerpts from a series of kids books written by a cranky British woman in the 1840's.  She basically had something nasty to say about people in every country in the world.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2011, 11:14:02 pm »
I just finished The Clumsiest People in Europe, Or: Mrs. Mortimer's Bad-Tempered Guide to the Victorian World by Todd Pruzan

It's the funniest excerpts from a series of kids books written by a cranky British woman in the 1840's.  She basically had something nasty to say about people in every country in the world.

Sounds like a hilarious read to check out. :D

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2011, 04:28:10 pm »

Yeh, i just started reading Raymond E. Feist's books  again starting from the beginning and I am at Into a Dark Realm right now, even beat the first computer game made based on his books again thinking of playing the second.  Will probably read all of Isaac Asimov's books again for fun next.

I am also reading The Gift a translation of Hafiz's poetry, a 12th century sufi poet (think whirling dervish), The Holographic Universe a take on the basic makeup of the universe, and I usually try to read a passage or two just before falling asleep from the Bhagavad Gita, or any of the writings from the Greek or Roman philosophers like Epicurius, Marcus Aurelius, and Epictetus, though I tend to favor the Stoics.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo

Offline Kophka

• Baron
  • Renown: 92
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
  • for the final ride
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Remnants
  • Game nicks: Kophka/Koschei
  • IRC nick: Kophka
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2011, 05:05:59 pm »
Warriors of the Steppes, by Harold Lamb. These are collections of Harold Lambs short stories featuring Khlit the Cossack, aka the Wolf of the Steppes. If you've never read them, I highly recommend them, starting with Wolf of the Steppes.