Author Topic: What We're Reading  (Read 38519 times)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1383
  • Infamy: 682
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
Re: What We're Reading
« Reply #435 on: February 12, 2016, 09:46:23 pm »
Qui dicebas in corde tuo: in caelum conscendam, super astra Dei exaltabo solium meum, sedebo in monte testamenti, in lateribus Aquilonis.

For thou hast said in thine heart, I will ascend into heaven, I will exalt my throne above the stars of God: I will sit also upon the mount of the congregation, in the sides of the north:

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 682
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
« Reply #436 on: February 12, 2016, 11:30:33 pm »
I just finished reading Star Wars Battlefront: Twilight Company. It was quick read so a good beach book or one to take on vacation. They create new characters and bring them in contact with background characters from the original trilogy. I've never played Star Wars Battlefront but I'm guessing a lot of the weapons they mention are in the game so that's the tie-in.  8/10

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Also recently finished The Best Digital Marketing Campaigns in the World II. It spotlights a bunch of creative advertising campaigns and lays out how they were carried out and talks about the agencies behind them. It took me a long time to make it through this one because I kept on stopping to look up the agencies mentioned in the book and seeing what they were currently up to.  8/10

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 13, 2016, 06:20:28 am »
Looking for graphic novels/comic book series. Stuff I've read recently, past year or so:

Star Wars: Legacy
The Authority
The Invisibles
Sandman (Neil Gaiman)
Orbiter
Descender
Transmetropolitan
Crossed
Preacher
The Multiversity
New 52 Future's End
Saga
Black River
Two Brothers (and some other stuff by the duo that writes it)

And honestly a ton of other stuff I'm not mentioning or have forgotten, sorry. Looking for one-offs or series, old or new, to check out. I hope you've got some recommendations Kalam.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #438 on: February 15, 2016, 04:43:24 pm »
+4
I recently read Blindsight. It's definitely a niche taste in sci-fi, because it blends hard scifi with some over the top elements. Still, it manages to explore the nature of human decision making, our relationship with technology, and philosophy of mind through the frame of an otherwise classic first contact story. The protagonists themselves are transhumans that are alien enough to entertain...so it's pretty crazy that the author manages to deliver something more alien for the actual, you know, aliens.

Looking for graphic novels/comic book series. Stuff I've read recently, past year or so:

Star Wars: Legacy
The Authority
The Invisibles
Sandman (Neil Gaiman)
Orbiter
Descender
Transmetropolitan
Crossed
Preacher
The Multiversity
New 52 Future's End
Saga
Black River
Two Brothers (and some other stuff by the duo that writes it)

And honestly a ton of other stuff I'm not mentioning or have forgotten, sorry. Looking for one-offs or series, old or new, to check out. I hope you've got some recommendations Kalam.

Okay. Based on that, try:

Gotham Central
Southern Bastards (especially if you like you BBQ and sweet tea)
Planetary (though you might be Warren Ellis'd out. if that's the case, don't check it out)
The Garth Ennis/Steve Dillon Punisher MAX and/or Hitman
Letter 44
The Manhattan Projects (if you don't like the first issue, don't continue. it's a typical Hickman convoluted stuff, but if you liked Multiversity...)
Prophet (21st century one, not the nineties original)
The Wake
Top 10 (Alan Moore/Gene Ha/Zander Cannon)
Astro City (probably the recent stuff)
Transformers: More Than Meets the Eye (really. it is beyond anything the subject matter deserves)

Addendum: The Wicked + The Divine

I just finished reading Star Wars Battlefront: Twilight Company. It was quick read so a good beach book or one to take on vacation. They create new characters and bring them in contact with background characters from the original trilogy. I've never played Star Wars Battlefront but I'm guessing a lot of the weapons they mention are in the game so that's the tie-in.  8/10

Also recently finished The Best Digital Marketing Campaigns in the World II. It spotlights a bunch of creative advertising campaigns and lays out how they were carried out and talks about the agencies behind them. It took me a long time to make it through this one because I kept on stopping to look up the agencies mentioned in the book and seeing what they were currently up to.  8/10

I'll check it out.

You may also like 'Hey, Whipple, Squeeze This'.

Passage of Darkness: The Ethnobiology of the Haitian Zombie

Covers the pharmaceutical mechanisms of creating a "zombie" as well as in-depth reasearch on the  folklore, social structure, and history of Haiti. It's informative but not dry and boring. If you like pop culture zombies check this out, Haitian zombies are point of origin for our stories of the undead over the last 100+ years.

Holy crap Witchcraft, how do you even find these books.

Offline Sandersson Jankins

• King
  • Renown: 1450
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CSA Apologists
  • Game nicks: fnord
  • IRC nick: "There's always a bigger nerd"- Qui-Gong Jim, Star Trek IV: Electric Boogalo
« Reply #439 on: February 15, 2016, 04:54:37 pm »
+4
I wish I would've peeped this thread far earlier..goodness, going through my recent history of books would be just tiresome.

However, I was recently made aware that Rhalzo and myself have damned near identical tastes in books. This nigga knows about some Dick, Heinlein, Herbert, Asimov, Clarke, etc.

Two of my most recent favorites that I'd be forced to recommend to just about everyone; The Moon is a Harsh Cold Mistress  and JOB: A Comedy of Justice both by Heinlein were simply phenomenal.

If anyone wants 2 circlejerk about books, come up in our TS sometime if I'm there or hit me up on steam!

the administrator of this forum is the Internet Keyboard man? Can only play "authority" in the virtual world?Can you tell me why?

Offline WITCHCRAFT

• Highborn
  • King
  • Renown: 2174
  • Infamy: 227
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen
  • get hexed
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WITCHCRAFT, A_Hot_Elf_Princess, Yurnero_of_the_High_Plains, and secret alts
« Reply #440 on: February 15, 2016, 07:52:22 pm »
+5
Holy crap Witchcraft, how do you even find these books.

I work in a library  :wink:

irl something shorted on the shuttle and laika overheated and died within a few hours of liftoff and for a brief while one could look up to the stars and see a light shooting across the sky that was actually a warm dog corpse slingshoting about the earth at thousands of miles per hour which was arguably humanity's greatest achievement so far

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos
« Reply #441 on: February 16, 2016, 02:03:32 am »

Currently reading the Imperial Radch series by Ann Leckie. Not quite perfection, but ranks very high as scifi on my lists. I haven't read scifi this good since the Revelation Space universe books by Alastair Reynolds.
The twist with this one is that the main character is a cyborg slave inhabited by the consciousness of a murdered star ship. And then things turn really sour.

Some time ago I read Flow My Tears, The Policeman Said by Philip K Dick. The story was good and interesting all the way to the end, but if you require at least some hardness of your scifi, don't wander this way. For everyone else this should be an enjoyable book.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 02:49:29 am by Rhekimos »

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: February 17, 2016, 03:27:44 am »
BOOKS!

Thanks Kalam! Other than my library not having book two of Astro City, the rest were mostly there- Planetary I have already gotten through, wish there was more.

The only one I can't figure out is Wake. I'm assuming that it's by Jean-David Morvan, illustrated by Philippe Buchet? Dang Minneapolis library system yields no results, but the rest should keep me occupied for a good few months while I'm sitting on my butt at "work".
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PeaceNiks
  • Game nicks: Archibot, MongolKhanTheBeerThirsty, Yerowbix
  • IRC nick: Archibot
« Reply #443 on: February 25, 2016, 01:18:27 am »

good story, supposed movie in development.
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut

Offline Rico

• King
  • Renown: 1021
  • Infamy: 158
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rico, Mila
« Reply #444 on: February 25, 2016, 01:33:02 am »
+3
Streaming cRPG, Supreme Commander and Age of Empires II on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/c/HeavenTV

Offline AwesomeHail

• Earl
  • Renown: 477
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • Blaze it nerds
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries.
  • Game nicks: Hail, lol, Kankerhoer etc
« Reply #445 on: February 25, 2016, 09:02:30 am »
+1
Prometheus Rising?
Your binary primitive low capacity of thinking is not relevant.

Offline Artyem

• King
  • Renown: 1218
  • Infamy: 264
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • SODOM Shaman
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Dracul / Raven / SODOMY
  • Game nicks: Artyem
« Reply #446 on: February 25, 2016, 10:27:28 am »
Picked up the Dunk and Egg novellas by GRRM, pretty great read if you're into the ASOIAF universe and want something to read within the  while you're waiting for Winds to come out.

I was inspired to look further into GRRM's writing, I went and checked out some of his older sci-fi stuff.  Dying of the Light was pretty good, falls into some of the classic fantasy tropes that you'd expect from a 1970s scifi novel.  Worth reading if you want to get into the 1000 worlds series.

Now I'm reading some of the free novels on the Kindle market, Dan Jones has a couple good historical novels about the Plantagenets and the War of the Roses if you're into that.  I imagine they'd be enjoyable regardless, they almost read more like fiction than they do nonfiction while remaining informative.

Sordida asinum latronibus sumus

Offline Rhekimos

• Duke
  • Renown: 672
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • ふふふふふ
    • View Profile
    • Forbiddena
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Rhekimos
  • IRC nick: Rhekimos

Offline Snufalufagus

• Earl
  • Renown: 320
  • Infamy: 21
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Snuffy, Snufalufagus, Sexy Cupid, Charlie_Sheen Sir Lord Gentleman Snuffy
  • IRC nick: Snufalufagus
« Reply #448 on: February 25, 2016, 08:45:58 pm »
+2
The Bruce Trilogy
Book by Nigel Tranter

Best historical Faction i have ever read.  Fact mixed with fiction for the parts we don't know.  Its like game of thrones meets the real world.
Im your imaginary friend...

Offline Drunken_sailor

• Duke
  • Renown: 517
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • schwing
    • View Profile
  • Faction: PeaceNiks
  • Game nicks: Archibot, MongolKhanTheBeerThirsty, Yerowbix
  • IRC nick: Archibot
« Reply #449 on: February 25, 2016, 09:14:46 pm »
I just got into historical fiction after finishing the Mongoliad series, it was a collaboration project with a bunch of different authors which at times was weird, but some of the fight scenes were very well written.

Ill have to look into the Bruce Trilogy next.
Always do sober what you said you’d do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut