Author Topic: Gold inflation ?  (Read 2780 times)

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
Re: Gold inflation ?
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 03:57:45 pm »
+3
First of all, some inflation is good.  It keeps the market moving.  The reason there are new items being traded, offers being made, and any "fresh-ness" in the market is because people think they can buy items low, and sell them high (or trade items and "trade-up" to a nicer item) through wheeling and dealing.  If there was no inflation at all, the traders would stop trading to make a buck, and people with shitty items would be stuck, while people with good items would have less reason to trade or sell.

That being said, the inflated prices lately are really ridiculous.  This is due to supply, in my mind.  No, people are not deleting their looms...but there are less people playing than last fall.  There is less on the market.  The market has become sluggish, and shows early signs of solidifying.  What keeps it moving now is (1)traders with patience who can wait for a sale or trade, and (2)"re-balancing" game mechanics (nerfs and buffs) that prompt people to sell or trade because certain items have become more desirable.  There are also just those people who want to try different items for actual use, but that's a smaller percentage of of sellers and traders.

What can we do?  It's impossible to really regulate a market like this...and deflation would be very bad (because people would not sell or trade at all, risking a loss).  One easy step would be to allow people to offer gold with their trades, instead of just demanding gold.  This will be a shot in the arm for the market as people can really express the trades they want to make.  This has been suggested a couple times...it needs to be put in!  It's the easiest, most practical thing to do in order to help the market and keep it fun.

Other tentative suggestions:
-Make selling loom points an "official" part of the market.  Regulate a min/max price for the loom points only...this will help affect other loomed item prices, but not directly control them.  It's like putting a soft cap on prices.

-Allow alts access to the market, rather than a sacrifice.  This will bring more items in to play, and boost market vitality and movement....lowering or maintaining prices for a while.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 03:58:52 pm by Garison »

Offline Thomek

• El Director
  • OKAM Developer
  • Renown: 1372
  • Infamy: 481
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • Ninja Guide Wiki
  • Faction: Ninja_
  • Game nicks: Ninja_Thomek
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 04:20:56 pm »
Allowing people to offer gold for items is an upcoming feature. This will help attaining reasonable prices.

Buying and selling loom points should be allowed. It will make it safer and make pricing better.

Trading with alts should not be allowed because it will make people stop retiring and just fill up their mains with looms from alts. Fighting lvl 33-34 veterans with fully loomed sets will be even more of a pain for newbies.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

That Thomeck-delay-kicking bussiness is like that asshole-retard dude that fucks your sister sometimes.

Offline BlameMeForTheNoise

• Count
  • Renown: 189
  • Infamy: 21
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Varangian Guards
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Sonjarr
« Reply #32 on: January 18, 2012, 04:40:03 pm »
A problem I've notice in the market as it is, is the fact that you are not allowed to offer gold for a certain item. What this does is cause ONLY the sellers to dictate prices (which will ALWAYS be higher than what most people are willing to buy for). The only time sellers lower their prices is when they see other sellers selling the same item for cheaper. This is a bad system, plain and simple. If we allowed players to offer gold for certain items the sellers could see what prices people are willing to pay, which would make the market actually move. Right now, it takes weeks to make a sale or weeks to buy an item at a decent price.

this.

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420
« Reply #33 on: January 18, 2012, 04:45:41 pm »
I'm gen 4 (just retired) and I retired about a month ago with my 2nd gen.  I'm certainly not a buyer, but I was able to make some good money on the marketplace my first 2 retirements, AND still get the +1 items I was going to loom anyways, with an additional 100k in my pocket each time. 

Right now (after buying lots of items and going a full gen at 50k in gear) I have around 100k.  I used my 3rd loom to make an item +2.  This 100k will easily last me this gen, plus the next. 

I don't see the marketplace as being bad for new players, in fact when looms sell for 500-600k, you can really make a good chunk of money if you are a new player and keep you eye open for the item you want to loom (so you can sell the loom point and sometimes buy the item you want for under 300k depending on the item...that's awesome for new players).

And +100 for the white lotus...buyers being able to offer gold for items would be fucking awesome...
 - Stolen from Macropussy

Offline Sir_Ironlake

• Baron
  • Renown: 144
  • Infamy: 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 18, 2012, 05:18:26 pm »
Personally, Im having lots of fun trading.

Not only because i can play with loomed items as one class, then another (without having to grind the new items) and then back if i dislike it, but also trading itself.
I feel more bored when I got no offers up / looking for offers.

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #35 on: January 18, 2012, 05:20:53 pm »
So uhh... Why is no one mentioning strategus and converting strat gold to crpg gold by sending gold to relatives? This basically is the closest we'll ever get to "printing money" in the literal sense. It doesn't matter how much you play crpg or what gear you use, everyone has an equal footing in strategus and with so many clans going for peasant-medium gear, there's a lot of surplus gold that people are just converting into crpg gold.

Converting gold directly, rather than having a player buy strat goods with crpg gold doesn't add gold to the system, it just moves it around. This is probably why prices were stable during strat 2.0. If you could remove gold from the system somehow, maybe by buying looms from an "npc" or converting both ways(to and from strat), you'd see prices normalize.
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #36 on: January 18, 2012, 05:22:28 pm »
+1
So uhh... Why is no one mentioning strategus and converting strat gold to crpg gold by sending gold to relatives?

Because the Devs disabled that feature. Likely a bunch of people have forgotten about it now.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 05:24:17 pm by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Herkkutatti

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 18, 2012, 05:24:28 pm »

(click to show/hide)
/l
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ Nerf archery ,please!

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #38 on: January 18, 2012, 08:44:49 pm »

(click to show/hide)

oh shiiiit....
Lemme get 400k gold man, I'll be your friend.  Seriously.

Offline Herkkutatti

• Permanently Banned
  • Renown: 292
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 18, 2012, 08:48:35 pm »
oh shiiiit....
Lemme get 400k gold man, I'll be your friend.  Seriously.
  :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
(click to show/hide)
/l
(゚、 。 7
l、 ~ヽ
じしf_, )ノ Nerf archery ,please!

Offline Chris_P_Bacon

• Count
  • Renown: 195
  • Infamy: 37
  • I'm a pig.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Astralis
  • Game nicks: Ser_Chris_P_Bacon_Astralis, an_angry_piglet, A_Canadian_Seal_Clubber_Eh
« Reply #40 on: January 18, 2012, 08:54:28 pm »
Ugh... yea... read my sentence right below that....
I musta missed that one, I apologize

Offline CrazyCracka420

• Minute Valuable Contributor
  • Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 1950
  • Infamy: 794
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Welp
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vaegirs
  • Game nicks: Huseby
  • IRC nick: Steam name: crazycracka420