Author Topic: fair cav behavior on battle servers  (Read 23951 times)

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
Yeah, i try this soooo many times. I walk up into melee fights, doing a 2v1 with one of my teammates.

And many of the times a very ego centered cav will just go for the kill. And many of the times that they try that, they will end up killing me or my teammate/ or bump me and my teammate so we are unable to defend and the enemy got a free hit.  :|

I rly hate how many cav dont give shit about infantry. Specialy looking at infantry which improved alot, there is alot less random teamhits. Which is awesome since the infantry is fighting close to eachother 24/7. But cav is still lacking way behind, when it comes to this. Same goes for all the archers shooting into melee fights.... because hey ? why not, they might just end up with another kill.  :rolleyes:
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 09:13:13 pm by _GTX_ »
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Bulzur

• Earl
  • Renown: 465
  • Infamy: 102
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild.
  • Game nicks: Guard_Bulzur
i tend to attack group of enemy cav in the beggining of the round, when i die early in such scenario is it bannable ?

I don't know. Do you feel like it's suiciding in thoses cases, or do you feel like it's playing ? I'm pretty sure no cav can be banned because of a suicide-reason if they face other cavs, since it's often "kill or be killed" in one hit.

Yes, i answered your post as if it wasn't a troll. Anyway, i doubt any cav can be considered as "leeching" considering the cost of their horse. But this suicide matter is something else, time-based, and not gearcost-based.
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
[19:32] <@chadz> if(dave_ukr_is_in_server) then rain_chance = 98%;

Offline Torben

• King
  • Renown: 2011
  • Infamy: 352
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • still prepare to get sexed
    • View Profile
  • Faction: by my overly nerfed heavy lance.
And come on, what's this nonsense "having the balls to defend..."', i have the balls to attack his playstyle too, don't I ?!

very true.  i kinda have a helper syndrome i guess.  made me feel bad that everyone is hating on him : D  but fuck this,  back on opic now,  i would suggest?
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes
Flame I am - that much I know!

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
But cav is still lacking way behind, when it comes to this. Same goes for all the archers shooting into melee fights.... because hey ? why not, they might just end up with another kill.  :rolleyes:

i tend to disagree.  i do a lot of melee fighting lately and get teamstuned and than killed by enemies regularely.  I would say that every class has its new players,  and its ok that they make mistakes,  have to get used to the game etc.  i just want to encourage everyone to play with caution regarding the rights of their fellow gamers
Yes, I know from whence I came! Discontented as a flame, Upon myself I live and glow. All I grasp like lightning flashes, All I leave behind is ashes

Offline _GTX_

• I <3 Shemaforash
  • Duke
  • Renown: 535
  • Infamy: 960
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • O===((:::::::::::::::>
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Kalmarunionen
  • Game nicks: GTX
  • IRC nick: GTX
i tend to disagree.  i do a lot of melee fighting lately and get teamstuned and than killed by enemies regularely.  I would say that every class has its new players,  and its ok that they make mistakes,  have to get used to the game etc.  i just want to encourage everyone to play with caution regarding the rights of their fellow gamers

Might be me moving out of the clusterfucks by pure reflexes, since i played melee for quite some time now. Or youre just rly unlucky compared to me. But yeah every class got its new players, which is trying to learn the game.

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
i tend to attack group of enemy cav in the beggining of the round, when i die early in such scenario is it bannable ?

no.  actually suicide chargeing is only banable if you use it as a leaching tool, a la vicious.  aka u just run into enemies without rly trieing to do anything reasonable.  if anyone,  a ninja,  a cav,  charges into masses of enemies slashing and slaying and trying to take down as many foes as he can,  it aint a bad thing.

now a reminder:  this thread is not about justifying your actions,  not about accusing anyone of anything.  just some well meant advice for cav players. 
so if anyone has anything he always wanted to ask the cavs to do,  bring it up. 

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
i am waiting for comments like:  shoot youre horse.  ; )

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Suicide has no point for cav. You have to win more rounds than you loose to break even. Nobody would suicide on purpose on a horse.

Also, cav behavior is highly dependant on the map and the enemy players. I think most cav prioritize targets, so tunnel-visonning archers near a building you can hide behind are the first thing they will kill.

If there are no better opportunities, a cav will likely start doing borderline thing like "helping" 2 teammates killing an enemy, or switch to completly dumb mode like charging a thrower straight on, because they are bored.

Offline MrShine

• Ragdoll Basher
  • King
  • Renown: 1156
  • Infamy: 193
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Fear the stache
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: MrShine
So you're just going to NOT take the kill if you catch someone at spawn?  That's silly.

Other stuff I agree with but it applies to all classes.  Don't be greedy/ watch your friendly fire.

Doesn't need to be a cav manifesto.
Holy crap I have a youtube gaming channel! https://www.youtube.com/user/MrShine12345

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
actually the 'dont kill the enemy fighting your teammate, bump him' that many people say, is, imo, not the right choice.

The horses aren't very manouverable and inf tend to circle around each other and move a lot while fighting, so if you go for bumping the enemy, you mgiht aswell hit your teammate, and you won't be able to stop since you're already at speed and very close when they circle.

A lance, on the other hand, is easier to control, you can quickly change direction and if your teammate gets between you and the enemy, you can cancel the attack.
Also, a lance can not hit both, where you can easily end up bumping both if they are positioned in the wrong way.

EDIT:
ofc this doesnt matter if thge enemy is outnumbered or it is your top player vs. a peasant and other situations where your team clearly has the upper hand. Dont even think about 'taking' the kill here, just find another place where you can help your team more.

Edit again:
Same goes for all the archers shooting into melee fights.... because hey ? why not, they might just end up with another kill.  :rolleyes:

as an archer i often shoot into melee fights if i see the outcome of the fight being 50/50 for both player or if i think the enemy has a higher chance of winning than my teammate. Why? because there is a bigger chance of me (if you are a decent archer, that is) hitting the enemy than the teammate, so in the long run, shooting into fights like those helps your team. Ofc it goes wrong very often, but if it goes right just a tiny bit more, it is worth it. If my teammate has the largest chance of winning the fight, i wouldnt dream about shooting into it - why risk getting your teammate kileld when he can easily win?
For me, this game is about having your team win, so if shooting into a melee fight works out more often than not, it will increase my team's chance of winning more often than it decreases the chance, which will make my team win more in the long run - so that is exactly what i will do; shoot into melee.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 10:24:22 pm by Torp »

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
Overall I'd say I've helped out more by interfering in melee fights than hindered, but I may be biased. I've also shamelessly killstealed though.
Cav can also be great help for engaged inf. In 3+ vs 1, especially if it's a lone shielder, the enemy will be entirely focused on killing him. Perfect for couches or driveby lancings, killing one and knocking over as many as possible. Any that do notice you peel off from the main gangbang and make threatening gesticulations at you (I also like to imagine they hurl bitter insults), buying some space for the inf to fight back.

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
guys please note that all my examples are hints to make people think.  if you pass a melee fight,  the kill being a sure thing,  of course you take it as a cav,  as this frees the two or three friendlies to take on the next target. not different than a pikeman taking the kill.  i dont care about who took the kill i the end,  i wanted to make the point that u should not put youre teammates in peril of damage or death if they have the situation under control. i was just way too lazy to come up with perfect formulation for all my points.

please everyone, dont understand the points i made as spot on,  just understand them as a general theme that every man with sound mind can interpret in the right way.  like oberyn mentions,  just analyze given situations and act accordingly.

i mean:  this is quite general,  isnt it:

-stop rushing into melee fights where u are not needed.

and it dosnt say anything about kill stealing and what not.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:38:41 pm by Torben »

Offline Dezilagel

• Marshall
  • Renown: 722
  • Infamy: 209
  • cRPG Player
  • (X) probably goes well with Nutella
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Guards, Guards!
  • Game nicks: Dezi_the_Bagel
  • IRC nick: Dezilagel
as an archer i often shoot into melee fights if i see the outcome of the fight being 50/50 for both player or if i think the enemy has a higher chance of winning than my teammate. Why? because there is a bigger chance of me (if you are a decent archer, that is) hitting the enemy than the teammate, so in the long run, shooting into fights like those helps your team. Ofc it goes wrong very often, but if it goes right just a tiny bit more, it is worth it. If my teammate has the largest chance of winning the fight, i wouldnt dream about shooting into it - why risk getting your teammate kileld when he can easily win?
For me, this game is about having your team win, so if shooting into a melee fight works out more often than not, it will increase my team's chance of winning more often than it decreases the chance, which will make my team win more in the long run - so that is exactly what i will do; shoot into melee.

No, this is flawed thinking.

Loosing a fight because you messed up - nps.

Loosing a fight because some dumb archer hit you in the back and got you stunned = sux balls.

That 2h fighting in front of you is actually a human being, not some robot calculating win percentage.

Show some respect man.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2011, 11:46:02 pm by Dezilagel »

Quote from: Rumblood
You fuck, or you get fucked.
Valour Multghulis - All Krems Must Die

Offline Torben

• King
    • View Profile
Show some respect man.

actually this sums up my thread quite nicely...

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
For battling infantry, just having cavalry nearby affects combat.  If you don't want to TK and there's not much room, just run around the infantry.  It's sort of hard focusing on your enemy when you know there is some horse running around nearby.  Hoof beats are very scary, and you gotta keep looking behind you which definitely gives an advantage (or disadvantage I guess).