Poll

Anyone else think it's time for a West Coast NA Server?

YES!
51 (53.1%)
NO
21 (21.9%)
brbrbrbrafk
10 (10.4%)
yes and no
7 (7.3%)
I would host it!
7 (7.3%)

Total Members Voted: 96

Author Topic: Time for a NA West Coast Server?  (Read 7357 times)

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
  • Timing that sidestep is key to the 1h battle axe
    • View Profile
  • Faction: NORD
  • Game nicks: Araios, Pallas, Hammer. Formerly DRAC & Duke_of_Hazard
Re: Time for a NA West Coast Server?
« Reply #30 on: January 23, 2011, 07:26:50 am »
Hate having to do this - but I gotta pull out a map.  Wow you guys have alot of states.

Ok, considering the position of the current map unless every NA server would actually move to a central position as suggested I don't see the point in placing more servers merely 2 states over.  If that were the case then I would suggest keep the current east coast hubs, with more based out of say Utah.  That would make more sense to me if we were trying to make two centralization points.  But ya, if it were moving everything to one hub, then right in the middle seems the obvious best spot.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:34:35 am by 1slander »
Float like a butterfly sting like an axe

Offline bleyz

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 23, 2011, 07:58:48 am »
Hate having to do this - but I gotta pull out a map.  Wow you guys have alot of states.

Ok, considering the position of the current map unless every NA server would actually move to a central position as suggested I don't see the point in placing more servers merely 2 states over.  If that were the case then I would suggest keep the current east coast hubs, with more based out of say Utah.  That would make more sense to me if we were trying to make two centralization points.  But ya, if it were moving everything to one hub, then right in the middle seems the obvious best spot.

Nice to see I brought someone around  8-)

I take it you are somewhere in British Columbia? How's the free health care working out for ya?

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 23, 2011, 08:22:54 am »
Nice to see I brought someone around  8-)

I take it you are somewhere in British Columbia? How's the free health care working out for ya?

Nothing is free.  We pay huge taxes.  Hst, income tax, hidden taxes, carbon taxes, hidden taxes.  We also have to pay for medical, but ya the burden is on the tax payer - aka - the citizen.

Meh, it's an ok place to live.  Too cold, too wet.  Sometimes I think of moving south.

Offline Bull

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2011, 08:24:41 am »
I heard lots of Seattle votes, and then bleyz and his negativities. Screw him!

Seattle FTW! I'd donate. I live 15 minutes outside Seattle.

Offline Gristle

• Duke
  • Renown: 560
  • Infamy: 130
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BRD
  • Game nicks: Gristle_BRD
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2011, 08:48:12 am »
Living in Jersey, I usually get 60+ ping on the current NA servers. I hate to think what my ping would be on a server in Seattle. If there's to be a West Coast server, we should also get an East Coast server. That way we can properly split our already small community.

Why not somewhere in South Dakota or Nebraska? Somewhere right in the middle that would make players on both coasts even.

Offline bleyz

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2011, 09:27:27 am »
Nothing is free.  We pay huge taxes.  Hst, income tax, hidden taxes, carbon taxes, hidden taxes.  We also have to pay for medical, but ya the burden is on the tax payer - aka - the citizen.

Meh, it's an ok place to live.  Too cold, too wet.  Sometimes I think of moving south.

No truer statement can be made...

But at least it frees your mind of worry if you catch an illness or get injured. Most people drown in debt while fighting cancer or other illnesses and this is even if you have insurance!!! Quite sad really. And I can't quite rap my head around the idea floating around the States that Socialized medicine would bring about  the downfall of society, but somehow our Socialized mail system, schools, etc (I could list shit all day) isn't bad. Go figure.

I live among the pines and snow; and I love cold weather. To bad we don't have Moose this far south!

I heard lots of Seattle votes, and then bleyz and his negativities. Screw him!

Seattle FTW! I'd donate. I live 15 minutes outside Seattle.

From the looks of the Poll Seattle isn't losing out. But the results show what I intended them to. A middle ground should be met!!!

If perhaps you think of others and not just yourself you might come to terms with the idea of a more Centralized Server location. On that note, I'm not fully against a Seattle server location, it's Gorath's deal and if that's where he wants it that's where it will be. I just believe there is a better option for everyone.

Living in Jersey, I usually get 60+ ping on the current NA servers. I hate to think what my ping would be on a server in Seattle. If there's to be a West Coast server, we should also get an East Coast server. That way we can properly split our already small community.

Why not somewhere in South Dakota or Nebraska? Somewhere right in the middle that would make players on both coasts even.

I'd love to get 60 ping!!!! I'm stuck with 100-170ping with spikes into the 300's on those Chicago servers.

Technically Lebanon, Kansas is smack dab in the middle of the US.

I'm all for coastal servers but we're talking one server right now for the West.  And as I've pointed out a more mid-west server would better suit the community right now. Somewhere around oh you know Boise or SLC...

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2011, 09:33:14 am »
I would love to see a Seattle server. I would be willing to donate some cash to see such, and if you are looking for some admins, I would be willing to do some admining for you.

Offline Balton

• Knight
  • Renown: 56
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
  • Divine Being
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Death God
  • Game nicks: GoD_Balton_the_Buff
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2011, 09:40:05 am »

Because we already have Chicago servers that aren't going anywhere anytime soon.
Wherever I tread, only chaos & destruction follow.

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2011, 09:43:04 am »
You guys really think NA has the population to support another NA server? We already have 4 of them, and they are rarely full, except for 1.
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline BlackMilk

• Polearm Lover
  • Earl
  • Renown: 370
  • Infamy: 144
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: el_Banduri
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 10:10:44 am »
I'm sitting in Bornheim-Hersel, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany. Ping on EU_6 : 80+. You see : Its time for a EU_Germany_Nordrhein-Westfalen_Bornheim-Hersel Server  8-)

Offline bleyz

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2011, 11:57:53 am »
You guys really think NA has the population to support another NA server? We already have 4 of them, and they are rarely full, except for 1.

Yes I do.

I believe that a lot more people would play this mod if they had servers that suited their needs. Who knows how many have players have quit over bad latency?

« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 06:18:54 pm by bleyz »

Offline Heroin

• Baron
  • Renown: 135
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • cRPG NA Server Admin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: MB
  • Game nicks: BlackHand_Heroin, Heroin_ATS, Heroin__JaBoNRA, Heroine_Heroin_MB, F8
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2011, 05:39:14 pm »
I think people are over-valuing a server closer to the west coast. If you're west coast and you're getting pings of 120+ to the chicago server, with spikes of 300+, it's likely your ISP and not the server. I'm east coast, and I get the same ping to the chicago servers as I do to the native dallas servers.

I don't think you'd see a notable improvement in gameplay unless you got a server in your neighborhood somewhere.

For reference, the "same" ping I get on both dallas and chicago servers is between 30 and 50. I know, I'm blessed with a good provider, apparently.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 05:41:24 pm by Heroin »
Quote from: Godfrey of Ibelin
I once fought for two days with an arrow through my testicle.

Offline bleyz

• Beggar
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 23, 2011, 06:51:50 pm »
I think people are over-valuing a server closer to the west coast. If you're west coast and you're getting pings of 120+ to the chicago server, with spikes of 300+, it's likely your ISP and not the server. I'm east coast, and I get the same ping to the chicago servers as I do to the native dallas servers.

I don't think you'd see a notable improvement in gameplay unless you got a server in your neighborhood somewhere.

For reference, the "same" ping I get on both dallas and chicago servers is between 30 and 50. I know, I'm blessed with a good provider, apparently.

No one is over valuating anything! You are living on east coast and being served decent ping times. Stating that it's an issue with someone's provider, when it's a well known fact that distance causes latency, is a bullshit argument.

What State on the East Coast are you located in? Looking at a map there are plenty of states that are about equal distance from Chicago and Dallas, no doubt you are living in such an area.

Offline 1slander

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2011, 07:43:11 pm »

Can't imagine the current EC servers being pulled?  We're talking about new servers being introduced as well as what's existing.  Though I'm sure after a month or so the playerbase would settle and maybe one of the EC servers wouldn't be needed anymore.  Like say the 80 man?

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #44 on: January 23, 2011, 07:47:35 pm »
There are so many people in south & west NA, and wow at some of these arguments. When it comes down to the hosting of servers you have best results to put them on the main hubs (that most traffic ends up going through anyways), which happen to be Chicago, dallas, San jose, and bleh i'd have to look at a map of all the big pipes to remember the less important ones. Sure, you can host one in Seattle, LA, Salt lake city Utah, or some other place as they get OK hosting, but you'll get best results off of the main spots.
Also, Chicago has some of the best latency for east coast (and everywhere close to it). You can't argue that one, it is true. Pretty much anywhere on the east coast, sin florida due to being far away, is going to have 70 or less ping to Chicago. However, anyone west coast is going to have a ping of at the least 80 but usually higher to Chicago.

I say all this but nobody cares. Just do some tracerouting and see the hubs they go through, you'll see.

tl;dr  If it is for specifically west coast you want it hosted in San Jose. Most west coast traffic passes through San Jose anyways. It gives the best latency to anyone in the southwest excluding the option of it being hosted in the specific town you live in, which is greedy, etc.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2011, 07:53:54 pm by Marathon »
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.