Author Topic: Throwing weapon upkeep issue - intended?  (Read 1028 times)

Offline Shpongled

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
  • Totally shpongled, mate...
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Shpongled, Merc_Shpongebob_Tightpantsh, Merc_Shpongtastic
Throwing weapon upkeep issue - intended?
« on: January 18, 2011, 04:54:26 am »
So as I have been playing around with my lances, it seemed that they were breaking at a ridiculously high frequency. Then two broke in one match and I realised the problem.

Each stack of throwing weapons is treated as a unique item with its own chance to break.

This makes the effective cost of throwing lances from an upkeep perspective in the region of 45,000 gold.

Is this intended?
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

"I gotta turn down my merc application as i was in a pub and would be of no use to you. Maybe it's good for you in the end, although i was motivated to see the first merc's defeat ever in strategus."
 --- Beauchamp

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
Re: Throwing weapon upkeep issue - intended?
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2011, 04:56:48 am »
So as I have been playing around with my lances, it seemed that they were breaking at a ridiculously high frequency. Then two broke in one match and I realised the problem.

Each stack of throwing weapons is treated as a unique item with its own chance to break.

This makes the effective cost of throwing lances from an upkeep perspective in the region of 45,000 gold.

Is this intended?

From everything the devs/mods have said:  Yes, this is intended.  This is how they are balancing throwing weapons cost/damage relationship.  It makes sense imo, especially if arrows are working the same way.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2011, 05:09:54 am »
The upkeep for throwing shit is way too low, such as the prices itself.

A 1h axe costs more than 4 throwing axes.

Spawning with 4 1h axes doesnt make sense.

Spawning with 16 throwing axes, does.

Just throw 15 in the direction of the enemies, get some easy kills, and then fight with the last axe in melee, kill the guy, pick up the rest of your axes then kill the next group of enemies.

Throwing lances, you get 8 for a very low price, seeing that each of them is a 1 hit kill.

On a side not, the amount of throwing shit should be reduced. Only 1 item for each slot.

How the hell would someone run around with 16 heavy throwing spears or axes?

Lastly, the upkeep is no problem for footmen. You can spawn with 8 throwing lances and some decent armor all the time and still make profit.

Offline Tornkik

• Noble
  • Renown: 10
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2011, 05:37:28 am »
Throwing lances, you get 8 for a very low price, seeing that each of them is a 1 hit kill.

I made a thrower with 10pt and around 100WPF, had lances. Not always 1 hit kill. ;)

Even on something low as heraldic, if you hit them in the body they could survive.

Offline Seawied

• Knight
  • Renown: 45
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player
  • Climbing in yo window, snatching yo people up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2011, 06:12:04 am »
Finn, you also aren't factoring in that one axe only has a 4% chance of breaking each minute. To use a full set of throwing axes like most dedicated throwers, you would now have 4 individual shots of weapon degradation every minute.
So with PT >10 stones become simple too effective
:lol:

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2011, 06:51:35 am »
The upkeep for throwing shit is way too low, such as the prices itself.

A 1h axe costs more than 4 throwing axes.

Spawning with 4 1h axes doesnt make sense.

Spawning with 16 throwing axes, does.

Just throw 15 in the direction of the enemies, get some easy kills, and then fight with the last axe in melee, kill the guy, pick up the rest of your axes then kill the next group of enemies.

On a side not, the amount of throwing shit should be reduced. Only 1 item for each slot.

How the hell would someone run around with 16 heavy throwing spears or axes?

Lastly, the upkeep is no problem for footmen. You can spawn with 8 throwing lances and some decent armor all the time and still make profit.

Alright, now you know this is not true. It is true that at 5x you can make money in a gambeson and 4 stacks of throwing lances, but it is marginal.
The amount of people using throwing lances is pretty much none now, thank god. But just like people pull out plate and heavy horses for special occasions, they also pull out throwing lances. Also, I survive at least one throwing lance before I go down my self, or 3 javelins. (unless they super stacked to 11+ PT) Although, I am a strength heavy character.

For the record, If my team is getting wrecked by heavy cavalry I'll pull out throwing lances to remove them quickly and even the field. Thank god they are not sustainable to use even half of the time.

Also: Yes, the upkeep on throwing is intentional, and I approve of it as a thrower. Too much throw spammers.
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline paraxis

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Assyrian, Taymon
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2011, 10:23:53 am »
(As a thrower) I think the high upkeep is fine. I do not intend to fight in melee so my armor is cheap and upkeep goes mostly into weapons.
And to be honest : theres no need to be able to walk around with a bunch of throwing lances all the time. Thats what the upkeep is trying to do.
U still can use the stuff but nobody said that u have to be able to make money with it.

Assyrian

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2011, 11:05:53 am »
Upkeep is fine and you can't upkeep 4 stacks of lances indefinatly. It's intended and working as it should.
I can upkeep low armour and 4 stacks of axes just fine. I'm saving for milanese, so I can pull out milanese plate+throwing lances for the hell of it. Full gear would exceed 90k gold to upkeep :P

And finished's comment doesn't make any sense.

Especially this line:

Only when 2h/polearm/1h weapons get a 25% chance to break when blocked.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2011, 11:07:08 am by Spawny »

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)