Author Topic: why is range so good  (Read 5923 times)

Offline Stokes

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Stokes52, ArcherStokes, and now by popular demand: ThrowerStokes
Re: why is range so good
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2011, 03:17:42 am »
lol
i wanna play a game where skill matters, warband melee is amazing because it takes the most skill out of any game i ever played, archery ruins it because anybody whos bad at the game can play an archer and zerg down any player whos already fighting someone else.

i dont care what is done, just fucking nerf it, its annoying to get close to someone, pull out your shield and get insta shot by 6 different archers every fucking rounds.

a big damage reduction would be awesome, a speed nerf would help, an accuracy nerf would be terrible, making upkeep cost less could also indirectly help (melee focused with 5 IF getting 2 shotted is REALLY fun)

the thing i HATE about archery is the fact that any retard can point and shoot and kill anyone and they cant do shit about it unless they are an archer themselves. i hate everything that removes skill, i hated magic in darkfall, i hate archery in warband, i hate variance in poker, get it?

Archery is part of the game. It seems to me, what you are suggesting here is that if six (COUNT EM, SIX!) archers simultaneously target AND hit you, it should have little or no effect and you should be able to continue attacking the enemy you just went after?

What you really want is to remove archery from the game. That's pathetic, not very conducive to balance, and it won't happen.

P.S., everyone hated archers in real life too, get over it.

Offline duurrr

• Knight
  • Renown: 65
  • Infamy: 97
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: kekeeke
« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2011, 03:21:01 am »

Archery is part of the game. It seems to me, what you are suggesting here is that if six (COUNT EM, SIX!) archers simultaneously target AND hit you, it should have little or no effect and you should be able to continue attacking the enemy you just went after?

What you really want is to remove archery from the game. That's pathetic, not very conducive to balance, and it won't happen.

P.S., everyone hated archers in real life too, get over it.
what im saying is theres so many of them its getting retarded, and the real life comment made me laugh, just saying

Offline Cyclopsided

• Duke
  • Renown: 513
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Formerly "Marathon". #sluttiestAdmin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
  • Game nicks: Cyclopsided_of_Chaos, CYBD, Brunchlady
  • IRC nick: Cyclopsided
« Reply #17 on: January 17, 2011, 03:21:23 am »
I Kill archers just fine, I just don't see why there are so many of them.
No really why are there so many archers & throwers.
I'm a skirmisher, melee+throwing (I'm aware), But why are there so many archers now? They did get nerfed compared to before.

What is really confusing is that archery is less accurate now, but seems to have homing arrows so skill matters less. You can't dodge them as well anymore.

Honestly, I just think archers finally realized that if there are more of them, they each are more effective?
Also, I have declared myself #1 NA hybrid thrower
Formerly known as Marathon.
As an NA admin, I am the most laid back and concerned with the ~fun of the game~ above all other factors. I've also been super inactive since Summer 2012. University takes most of my time, but I still find some time to play when i can.

Offline ShinySpoons

• Baron
  • Renown: 143
  • Infamy: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RS
  • Game nicks: AltOfSpoons
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2011, 03:30:40 am »
Lol, all the archers got together and made a pact to continue as they are in order to kill the melee players lightly armoured enough to catch them, and run from those too heavily armoured to be hurt till the poor bugger dies laughing and dies from the arrow induced tickling.

But seriously, it is both easier to die and to kill as a melee player. An archer might not get the same kills as before but they're still hard to kill due to them moving in packs and generally being faster than the average melee player. So, my guess is lots of archers still because people prefer to plink away for 5 minutes rather than chilling for 4 cause you got oneshot by a Great Bardiche.

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:32:10 am by ShinySpoons »

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2011, 03:32:06 am »
Archery isnt that overpowered any more. Its fine.

Before the patch, some no-lifer could play his ass of, grind his archer to level 40 and simply stand there and 1 shot kill half of the enemy team.

These times are gone, archery is now no one man show any more, so obviously the archers who understand to use their head work together.

The Druzhina archers did this already before the patch, one of the reasons why they pwned.

Throwing is now really easy to do, you need investment in power throw and some points in athletics to run away from melee, thats it.

Crossbows, not really powerful because of long reload time, and its still hard to hit a zick-zacking-target.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2011, 03:44:55 am »
ARCHER, one of the only classes you can play one handed. Which means I can stuff my face with doritos now while I go pew pew pew
so think about that the next time an archer guns you down, he clicked with one hand and was reaching into the half empty bag of chips with the other.

edit : I'm just joking, I know archery takes some skill just trying to make a funny don't hate

btw I started one today :) see you on the battle field pew pew pew
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 03:52:55 am by Memento_Mori »

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2011, 03:51:49 am »
Well, of course you can play archer while laying in bed and still have some hits. I did. But you will find out as long you are low level its not that easy any more. Every higher level archer will shoot you. Throwers will spam you. Not to forget back-stabbing cavalry. Ninjas. These days, its opened season on archers.

If I might give you some advice, start with only power draw 3.

A lot of people make the mistake to get power draw as high as possible, doesnt work.

Start with 3, when its okay for you, then 4, then, perhaps 5, under no circumstances go higher than 6.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Memento_Mori

• Count
  • Renown: 187
  • Infamy: 32
  • cRPG Player
  • I use these forums to hook up with hot ladies
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Memento_Mori, Sengo_Muramasa, Born_Of_Osiris,
« Reply #22 on: January 17, 2011, 03:57:53 am »
Well, of course you can play archer while laying in bed and still have some hits. I did. But you will find out as long you are low level its not that easy any more. Every higher level archer will shoot you. Throwers will spam you. Not to forget back-stabbing cavalry. Ninjas. These days, its opened season on archers.

A lot of people make the mistake to get power draw as high as possible, doesnt work.

Start with 3, when its okay for you, then 4, then, perhaps 5, under no circumstances go higher than 6.

Lol thanks, I'm finding that out real quick, I was just being silly with that comment aha.
and yeah I already am sticking with my nomad until I get some more WPP into archery.
I'm thinking probably 5 power draw as the final, and still use the khergit for it's added shooting speed (I'm a spammer, still not so pro at the aiming thing :P I'm sure that comes after Spamming) & switch to strong when I feel I can hit better.

Pretty sure with the new patch PD increases your accuracy as long as you have the WPP to use the bow
Just what I've been reading & looking at screenshots of other peoples reticles to compare.
So I'm trying for a semi-high wpp and medium PD so I'll be in the middle and can just use the strong bow if what I've been reading is false. Thanks for the advice btw :)

Offline Nemeth

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Nemeth
  • IRC nick: Nemeth
« Reply #23 on: January 17, 2011, 10:15:53 am »

Based on testing Kesh did and posted in other thread, PD no longer destroys your accuracy, but boosts it. I have PD 6, 139 wpf and have no problem with accuracy using warbow. I'm going for PD 7 to get even better accuracy with it. Maybe PD 8 after I see how it looks with 7.

Offline Brutal

• Baron
  • Renown: 91
  • Infamy: 24
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Pecores_Brutal_le chacal Cold_stone Bazooka
« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2011, 11:45:06 am »
  but they have been nerfed so much they rarely kill unless headshots.

:rolleyes:

Quote from: Keshian
7 pd, 6 weaponmaster all in archery (154) (8 converted skill points) and went 6-0, it is highly effective because I would say 2/3rds were one-shot kills

Quote from: Keshian
Used my khergit bow the next round, actually enjoyed it more and got 3 kills before dying (had to shoot people twice at least)

Sincerely, I tried to play archer i didn't go past lvl 10 as it was simply not fun for me. I was amazed how small the aiming reticule was, even as a low level archer.   

Bow need to be way more inaccurate at long range and a little at medium range, like it was just after the first patch.

Offline Jambi

• Earl
  • Renown: 410
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Walks with God.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Jambi
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2011, 01:07:57 pm »
lol
i wanna play a game where skill matters, warband melee is amazing because it takes the most skill out of any game i ever played, archery ruins it because anybody whos bad at the game can play an archer and zerg down any player whos already fighting someone else.

i dont care what is done, just fucking nerf it, its annoying to get close to someone, pull out your shield and get insta shot by 6 different archers every fucking rounds.

a big damage reduction would be awesome, a speed nerf would help, an accuracy nerf would be terrible, making upkeep cost less could also indirectly help (melee focused with 5 IF getting 2 shotted is REALLY fun)

the thing i HATE about archery is the fact that any retard can point and shoot and kill anyone and they cant do shit about it unless they are an archer themselves. i hate everything that removes skill, i hated magic in darkfall, i hate archery in warband, i hate variance in poker, get it?

If your gettign targetted by 6 different archers.. its your problem.
1. Your away from your team... making you stand out.
2. Your trying to cross an open field, with no care for cover.
3. Your the only guy left on your side.
4. Your think your skilled enough too pull off a round house kick like Chuck Norris.

Its a team game, if you want too play solo... go fkn play pacman or something.

I dare you too make an archer, and have no complaints..

Useful tip for a lot of players is.
Stop trying too be like your favorite anime hero.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 01:13:21 pm by Jambi »
Love will tear us apart.
Also, most fucked up brain of the year award goes to jambi. Well done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cX9Cpuj4igk

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2011, 01:50:42 pm »
Archers are fine. Throwers are the new problem. It isn't a problem when considered by itself, but when you enter a server and realize that you, as a non-thrower, are in the minority, well, that's when it's a problem. Hell, one thrower single-handedly broke all the shields in a huscarl shieldwall advancing a siege tower.

I can't seem to attack anyone without seeing them pull out a throwing axe, jarid, or javelin and flinging it into my stupid face.

I'm fine with with throwing the way it is, if it required some sort of specialty. However, strength builds are the new trend (at least on NA servers- with good reason, I'm strength now, too) and throwers work well with this. Here's an awesome build for you: load up on power throw and power strike for a barmace wielding axe chucker of doom! Miss that melee guy who's running toward you? Pull your barmace out and crush through his block!

Whatever the real reasons are, there are too many throwers and something needs to be done.

Offline StanleyPain

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: (>'.'<)(*)(*)(¯`·._) LLJK (¯`·._) (*)(*) (>'.'<)
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2011, 03:32:58 pm »
But that's the point Kesh! Archery has been nerfed into mainly a support role but a large section of crpg players continue to play as an archer. The question is why?

Because it's fun to play? Same question can be asked to why SO MANY players play cav, or 2hander, or ninja, or... For fucks sake this crying about every aspect of the game is godamn annoying. Just play the fucking game to have fun.

I personally enjoy playing an archer because it actually takes skill to hit and possibly kill people in a giant melee clusterfuck without killing your own teammates.

lol

Go play some other game then. Q_Q I got shots Q_Q If you're being hit 6 times by archers WITH a shield you're a godawful player to begin with.

Offline StanleyPain

• Peasant
  • Renown: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: (>'.'<)(*)(*)(¯`·._) LLJK (¯`·._) (*)(*) (>'.'<)
« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2011, 03:35:25 pm »
If your gettign targetted by 6 different archers.. its your problem.
1. Your away from your team... making you stand out.
2. Your trying to cross an open field, with no care for cover.
3. Your the only guy left on your side.
4. Your think your skilled enough too pull off a round house kick like Chuck Norris.

This is basically the learn2play checklist ;) I like it.

Seriously though, there are SO many players that will just run with a 2hander in straight line out in the open with no care for cover, or erratic movement. That's just asking to be shot because you're making yourself a VERY easy target.

Offline Trout4711

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: Too many. Fucking Alt-titis
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2011, 03:53:09 pm »

Archery takes skill, just different ones than melee combat. I can understand that you get frustrated because you cant do anything if you are on the wrong end of some arrows - kinda.

There are ways to at least

1.) minimize the possibility to get shot at
2.) minimize the chance to get hit.

Those arguably do not always work and they provide no total safety, but you CAN make the archer's life harder. Needed are only a basic amount of situational awareness (spot the archers and their field of fire early, before they stick something into you), by moving erratically, by moving out of their field of fire, by providing them with other players in your vicinity to shoot at, or (my personal favorite) by hiding behind some peasant when they chose you as a target :mrgreen:

If you annoy an archer enough, he will change his aim to a different person.

Of course, if your skills only amount to "DURRRR KILLLLLL" all that may be a bit hard for you.

But that's the point Kesh! Archery has been nerfed into mainly a support role but a large section of crpg players continue to play as an archer. The question is why?

Because the spergs hate it so much  :mrgreen:

Also because of that 1:many hundred shot which tags someone in cover in the face from across the map...

« Last Edit: January 17, 2011, 04:08:14 pm by Trout4711 »