Author Topic: Why do we even need upkeep anymore?  (Read 35717 times)

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • Renown: 604
  • Infamy: 327
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Why do we even need upkeep anymore?
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2011, 07:40:12 pm »
+1
Impossible to be a hybrid? I disagree completely. Well, you can't be that super overaccurate archer anymore, 2hitting people, with a Danish on your back ready to own people. Yes, you can't be as good in melee anymore as other pure melees. But when you take a strong bow, you can still be that hybrid.

The whole point of the devs with the slot system and weaponpoint requirements was to make hybrids less overpowered. And they have done a fenomenal job.

A classic c-rpg would be cool though, without the nerfs, without upkeep etc.

Try using a War Bow or a Long Bow with a polearm or two-hander. FAIL.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 07:42:10 pm by Miley »

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2011, 07:41:49 pm »
Upkeep in its current form performs alot like what it was created to prevent in the first place.

While we the old players can have our set of loomed items we can now sell our loom points and run around in plate while new players are stuck with none loomed gear and peasent rags.

I really dont get it why he increased upkeep again since it worked just fine pre patch.

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 07:45:05 pm by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2011, 07:42:24 pm »
+3
+1 You are completely right Rusty.

u must be a new player because

in the early days of the mod ( w no upkeeping) u had people wearing black plate full all the day

and everyone riding plated chargers

VERY UNFRIENDLY FOR NEW PERSONS

so... bad idea.

Fairly sure he's been playing longer than you. And no, it was not everyone who was wearing plate armor, everyone wore WHAT THEY LIKED.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 07:44:53 pm by Bobthehero »
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2011, 07:42:52 pm »
+3
Hybrids were not OP. Hybrid archers could definitely not be as accurate as pure archers.

+1 You are completely right Rusty.

Fairly sure he's been playing longer than you. And no, it was not everyone who was wearing plate armor, every wore WHAT THEY LIKED.

I have a lot of money, so I could wear plate every round. But I don't like plate, that's why I don't use it much.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 07:46:09 pm by Miley »

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2011, 07:49:39 pm »
+1
We dont need to remove upkeep.

Upkeep is a very good balancing system,that from jan till this latest patch, has worked with just a few minor flaws

I will agree that this last patch has DEVASTATED the players income.  I, myself, have been stuck at 65k for the last 3 weeks wearing only 28k in gear.  Despite all claims to the contrary, without an x5 multi you will lose money just about every time you play, and sometimes even then if the gods of random chance are against you.

Several posts have speculated about this being in order to nerf specific items that were being abused.  ie: too many plate, ponys, crossbows
If that is the case, then the balancing factor should have been simple:
increase or double the initial cost of (you guessed it) plate, ponys and crossbows.
This serves to highten several things.  It immediately makes owning these items more prohibitive for new players.  It also DOUBLES the upkeep costs for millionairs instantly, creating a better gold sink and draining those accounts.  and it would effectively keep the lowered costs for all of the mid tier equipment stable for the rest of the people who need to earn money.

As it stands now, the only other solution I can see that would make a difference was one stated by Tydeus in this thread.  And that would be an insurance system.  this would make it very easy to be a normal player to use his gear and still make it prohibitive (yet not impossible) to upkeep plate.
I suggest a thourough read of the article, it makes a lot more sense than the current system.
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2011, 07:51:03 pm »
+1
Doubling the plate cost would make it totally worthless.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2011, 07:55:25 pm »
+1

Cause upkeep doesn't already make it worthless for a huge proportion of players already :rolleyes:

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 20, 2011, 08:01:02 pm »
+1
True dat, even more worthless then?

Offline Magikarp

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 87
  • cRPG Player
  • Gotta splash em all!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Merciless
  • Game nicks: Magikarp ; Merciless_Charlemagne
  • IRC nick: Magikarp
« Reply #23 on: July 20, 2011, 08:05:58 pm »
+1
Try using a War Bow or a Long Bow with a polearm or two-hander. FAIL.
Ah ignorance at it's highest level. Ever tried using a Horn Bow or Tatar Bow with a polearm or two-hander? WIN.
Don't mind the fish.

Offline jspook

• Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • Auphan
  • Game nicks: Pit
« Reply #24 on: July 20, 2011, 08:41:18 pm »
+1

I respectfully disagree.  The cost of the MOST expensive plate is 34,239
the cost of the Plated Charger is 65,602

totally worthless??  I think not, considering that I still see plenty of plated chargers roaming around on the NA servers at almost exactly double the cost of the most expensive plate.  Especially since the chance to break is directly decreased by your proficiency level now.
Even if you tripled the cost of plate, people would still wear it.  In most cases, the benefits outweigh the cost.  Tanking is so much easier now with the increased soak values, and it will continue to be used.  high cost or no.
"Scissors needs a nerf because he beats me every time, but rock is just fine" - paper

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 20, 2011, 08:44:58 pm »
+1
The horse is a lot more useful than the plate, increased mobility, the ability to deal unblockable, if low, damage, the fact that the horse soaks up some damage, all of this without reducing your wpf and slowing you down.

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
« Reply #26 on: July 20, 2011, 08:51:55 pm »
+2
technically you can already play without upkeep on deathmatch servers.

I would be willing to try no upkeep if penalties for weight were increased DRASTICALLY.  Currently guys in plate can run just as fast as AGI builds in light/medium armor.  All weapons especially 2h/pole need their weights increased as well.

Also need positional sound for armors, so guys in plate make noise and just dont sneak up beside you to 1shot you

Offline Miley

• Duke
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 20, 2011, 08:54:57 pm »
+1
Ah ignorance at it's highest level. Ever tried using a Horn Bow or Tatar Bow with a polearm or two-hander? WIN.

Yep. WIN.

Why don't you actually read what I said in the previous posts?

Offline Nasturtium

• Count
  • Renown: 203
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 20, 2011, 08:58:03 pm »
+1
I enjoy the changes, It is great that this game is constantly evolving, it keeps things fresh and entertaining. It would worry me more if the game had never changed and was still the same as it was a year ago. I think most of what people complain about is not really a negative change in game mechanics, its more that they have been playing crpg so long that they mistake a game losing its novelty over time with bad development.

Offline Overdriven

• Marshall
  • Renown: 828
  • Infamy: 223
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Overdriven
« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2011, 09:15:19 pm »
+1
I enjoy the changes, It is great that this game is constantly evolving, it keeps things fresh and entertaining. It would worry me more if the game had never changed and was still the same as it was a year ago. I think most of what people complain about is not really a negative change in game mechanics, its more that they have been playing crpg so long that they mistake a game losing its novelty over time with bad development.

Not all change is good change. It's not necessarily evolving, could be devolving

The upkeep system has been around for a long time now. I remember what it was like before upkeep. I wouldn't suggest removing upkeep completely, but it needs to be lowered a lot.