Poll

Which suggestion would you like to see? (can choose multiple)

35 (24%)
21 (14.4%)
28 (19.2%)
32 (21.9%)
30 (20.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: 5 Suggestions on things to do before Strat reset to make it have longer life  (Read 4192 times)

Offline Tristan_of_Erzoth

• Game Admin
  • Renown: 1000
  • Infamy: 217
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
  • Faction: Calradian Confederacy
  • Game nicks: Tristan_of_Erzoth, Sorcerer_Tholamin, Big_Dick_McCallister
  • IRC nick: wtf is an IRC
I know where you're coming from, but the mercs, the people that make strategus alive, couldnt care less as long as its balanced.
It might not encourage a proper revival if the grind is the same as before.
I can guarantee you that if there is again a situation where a big faction has plate superiorite weeks/months before others, it will die again.

with PP as it is theres no way they wont have it within a few weeks of strat being alive. With 1.7 mil silver you could equip a full army of 1k ticks with full plate(chest piece is roughly 770k, 127k for boots, 360k for helmets, 379k for gloves (heavy gothic helmet, gothic knightly chest chest, cased greaves, plated gloves at 60% + discount) is 1,615,570 silver). A decent sized faction of 10 players trading could easily get that in a month. With 40+ players in some factions? You're looking at a week or two to get that much silver even with lower amounts of S&D
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

http://steamcommunity.com/id/evilmagic/

Offline Sparvico

• Marshall
  • Renown: 976
  • Infamy: 174
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Steam ID: Sparvico
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mossbacks
  • Game nicks: Sparvico et al.
+1
with PP as it is theres no way they wont have it within a few weeks of strat being alive. With 1.7 mil silver you could equip a full army of 1k ticks with full plate(chest piece is roughly 770k, 127k for boots, 360k for helmets, 379k for gloves (heavy gothic helmet, gothic knightly chest chest, cased greaves, plated gloves at 60% + discount) is 1,615,570 silver). A decent sized faction of 10 players trading could easily get that in a month. With 40+ players in some factions? You're looking at a week or two to get that much silver even with lower amounts of S&D

Honestly I think that would be a good thing. Strat needs mercs, and shitty cloth armor doesn't really bring them out. I do think the production gain needs to be reduced a bit, as it's currently at ludicrous speed, but in general the quicker we get into at least medium heavy gear the better. It's a matter of maintaining momentum at this point; the longer the new round takes to start up the less people will stick around to be regular mercs/play on NA_1. Ever since they took out fief voting the start of each strat round has felt mostly like a chore we have to complete so we can have our pudding.
Mossback_Westwood: "I swear 2 my semitic God if you give me this bundle of sticks's address I'll cut off his ear and eat it"

• Game Admin
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
+1
Honestly I think that would be a good thing. Strat needs mercs, and shitty cloth armor doesn't really bring them out. I do think the production gain needs to be reduced a bit, as it's currently at ludicrous speed, but in general the quicker we get into at least medium heavy gear the better. It's a matter of maintaining momentum at this point; the longer the new round takes to start up the less people will stick around to be regular mercs/play on NA_1. Ever since they took out fief voting the start of each strat round has felt mostly like a chore we have to complete so we can have our pudding.

AFAIK the fief voting can be reactivated if we want it to be. Maybe we should make a separate thread for that though as I didn't play back then and am not sure how it works

Offline Butan

• King
  • Renown: 1713
  • Infamy: 214
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
+1
with PP as it is theres no way they wont have it within a few weeks of strat being alive.

Yes, thats why I say it would be a good idea to have it stay the same for the next round, or just slightly nerfed, but not returned to normal.
And since Sparvico said it I think the fief voting could come back too: anything to speed things up really, and bring Strategus to its full potential fast.

So voted 1/4/5 because I think 2/3 are bad ideas.

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
There is certainly a balance to be found between too much PP and not enough PP. Same for troops. I cannot say where is the balancing point exactly, it would need much thoughts. What I know is that the old formulas of PP/troops production will not work with our current population, including most optimistic revival numbers.

I also agree with you about how villages should be the economic motor of the land. The fact that castles and cities, which are overall easier to defend (some village's maps are exception) also have much better PP production make them way too valuable. Under the current meta, villages are best left as trade dump with 0 gear/0 armies/0 management, they could be entirely removed tomorrow and noone would bat an eye except very minor factions.

I dont know whether it would be best to fundamentally rethink everything or just keep the game buffed, its up to people who have responsabilities in the game.
But one quick fix for PP would be to have fiefs no longer produce PP per day, but just have an initial PP pool of X per villages, Y per castles and Z per cities.
Then if one wanted to follow your guidelines HESKEY, they would make it so that the initial PP pool would be like : villages > cities >>> castles (so that castles are near useless except to store armies and defend nearby villages which would be the heart of money and gear production)
If fiefs had a fixed initial PP pool that never go away, it would be much easier to think of a number. Compared to PP/day formulas, where you have to take into account that a round can last a full year or more, so you gotta think of a number that makes the first few months not too miserable, and the last stages not overly inflated.

(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 04:01:13 pm by Butan »

Offline Butan

• King
  • Best tincan EU
    • View Profile
Strategus drama happens because people inexplicably care about their colourful blobs on the map and the numbers written in the upper-left. If those numbers become so high that they become meaningless, people care a whole lot less. That's why I've never really liked end-game Strat, everyone has infinite everything so people don't get mad when they lose anything, there's little drama to be had.

I would argue that people quit the game faster than troops stack up. In an average siege you can easily burn 2000-3000 tickets per hour, so its really hard to have too much troops. I've seen offensive campaign burn an entire faction worth of tickets in a week, especially when around 2/3 of the open field battles end up with helluva burned troops due to flag capping.

If the game was less buggy, the UI more readable, and attacks/comebacks easier, people wouldnt stack troops because they would play the game more (in a sense).

Funnily, if villages were very valuable targets, attacks would be way easier and tickets would be lost a lot more too. Having to attack castles 10 times in a row to get good PP/gear is the biggest drawback for most mercenaries and thus, strategus leaders. So your idea makes even more sense.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2018, 04:29:52 pm by Butan »

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
The thing I really hated about strat was that after trading for so long you still had to wander the map looking for gear.  I'd prefer a 1 stop shop place myself.

pogosan

Offline Bryggan

• Marshall
  • Renown: 727
  • Infamy: 207
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: 13 Knights, HCE
  • Game nicks: Jerk, Asshole, Dumbass, etc.
That's the min-maxer in you speaking xD you don't *have* to do that, but you're rewarded for putting in the extra time and effort. Now that everything's -1 instead of -2 by default, you can get +0 anything in your own fief for 1PP each. But if you're willing to ask or shop around you may find it cheaper and/or better elsewhere, but give them the tax money.

It's tradeoffs, which I like.

But my dear Heskey, you forget that you are a big nerd and love dealing with minutiae.  All that extra time and effort just slow down battles and only large, organized factions can arm quickly.  I think discounts should be lowered to maybe 40% max so money is the limiter.  People only want to use +3 gear, and also don't want to spend one month trading and 2 months going fief to fief to buy your helmets at one place, gauntlets at another etc.  Plus the risk of being attacked right in the middle of your shopping.

That is why many NAers used to do all their shopping in Eu where gear got loomed a lot quicker.

• Game Admin
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
bump, 4 and 5 would be great to add in and 5 itself may bring in incentive for people to play strat again

Offline Sparvico

• Marshall
    • View Profile
Remove crime thanks.
Mossback_Westwood: "I swear 2 my semitic God if you give me this bundle of sticks's address I'll cut off his ear and eat it"

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
I dont mind crime, I just mind that there's no real way to manage it besides keeping prosperity low and continually buying your own goods. Having troops in the garrison should help with crime or putting some troops towards patrols within the village (that wouldn't be part of the garrison and would pop up with the population in a raid) so you lose troops but can manage crime. Or use of gold or use of massacring a population. Killing off half the population would probably get crime down especially with the afk fiefs we had last round before it revived. It would have been an interesting quick way to get crime wiped out at the expense of the population as a whole which means you have to wait to regain it or put your own troops in as population if you're impatient.

Besides that though I definitely like the idea of number 2 with boosting ladder hp and teamlocking siege towers. I would suggest that instead of teamlocking that it becomes a permanent lock. SO once you hit the lock function, the tower is permanently stuck where it is and can't be moved at all.

Catapults should definitely take less damage from ranged. It shouldn't be the strategy to use ranged to hit enemy catapults rather than sallying and trying to break it.

We'll see if anything changes though. Dupe bug is supposedly out but I haven't attacked a fief just yet so I don't personally know if it is. I assume so based on the lack of news about it.

Offline RD_Professor

• Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 718
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
  • goon
    • View Profile
1 should be fixed, will think about 2+3, and I'd like to implement 4+5 but that will take actual work rather than shifting around values.
shoot me on discord or real life

Offline Sparvico

• Marshall
    • View Profile
This strat round will be dead within 2 months if crime is not removed, i'm calling it now.

(click to show/hide)

• Game Admin
  • cRPG Player
  • I dont know
    • View Profile
    • steam id
This strat round will be dead within 2 months if crime is not removed, i'm calling it now.

(click to show/hide)

the real kicker is since towns have default 125 growth and castles 50 they now start getting crime at 450 and 300 S&D respectively as opposed to the 600 before that change. So we will probably see castles/cities with a lot of crime before they are taken