Author Topic: Star Citizen  (Read 110885 times)

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
Re: Star Citizen
« Reply #105 on: November 21, 2012, 01:45:00 pm »
dont know how gamebreaking it will be, all depends howmuch a 1000 credits actually is , and how eazy it is made :) hope it wont be to tempting to pay for cash.
on a different note> last chance for people to get the pledge advantages : http://www.robertsspaceindustries.com/the-pledge-and-grace-period/
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #106 on: November 21, 2012, 01:57:21 pm »
I thought a long time about it: what's more gamebreaking, that 1000 credits isn't worth a lot (so you have to pay a LOT to gain an advantage, you need to be really spending to get it) or it is worth a lot (so everyone will buy them)

Seriously, it's pay2win, no matter how you turn it. What a shame. That wasn't necessary, and is just pure old greed. It's like inviting friends to a board game evening and giving them an extra dice if they give you 10$ before you start. Fucked up.

Offline rufio

• Marshall
  • Renown: 995
  • Infamy: 483
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
  • QQ
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Rufio_pleaser_of_widows, LeLouche_LampeRouge, Quenya_Favourite_of_Rufio
« Reply #107 on: November 21, 2012, 02:04:21 pm »
i feel slightly the same, but i also think that if they ballance it right, so that it will be pretty costly to buy a credit advantage it will ballance out the fun for casuals vs no lifers.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #108 on: November 21, 2012, 02:22:06 pm »
Well it seems they promise to make the game that the community wants, however i imagine their going to want to make money back on their AAA title.
Turtles

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #109 on: November 21, 2012, 02:31:14 pm »
+5
So, please correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't follow this closely, admittedly:
They get 20 million upfront, of which at least 6 million don't have to be paid back at all,
they use this money to create a game that they will then sell,
and on top of that, you can buy an advantage over others by buying credits for cash - because they barely make a living!

Why don't people stand up and say "no pay2win!". Why is everyone letting that one slip in? Why is this game above criticism?
Did players say "hey, you know what would be cool? If I could spend dollars to get ahead of others!"
If this is what everyone wants, then everyone is pretty stupid. I just wish gamers would grow a pair and stop saying thank you for getting fucked over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor%27s_New_Clothes

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #110 on: November 21, 2012, 02:46:24 pm »
Once again its impossible to say if it will be play to win until you see the internal balancing of the individual ships etc.   No-one knows if you will be buying side grades or flat out upgrades.

Everyone who gave towards the 6 million gets a copy.  That is the crowd funding aspect, depending on hwo much you paid for the game, the more release day contact you received. E.g. different ships, digital and physical add-ons etc.

Those who didn't pledge will have to buy the game at whatever price its put on sale at.

There is a subscription features for tracking the development and getting contact time with the devs priced at 10 or 20 dollars a month.

The point is that the focus so far has been on funding the project, not on balancing the game or on actually beginning development.  Considering this game will have a budget larger tan BLOPS but a considerably smaller market they are going to look for other ways to make a return on their investment.  Also bear in mind that the money is going straight to the devs, not to any publishers etc.

The process of developing the game and community interaction is only really beginning now.  They've got their engine, but the ideas they put in it are all subject to change.  I shouldnt see why the business model would be any different.
Turtles

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #111 on: November 21, 2012, 02:52:13 pm »
+1
So, please correct me if I'm wrong, I didn't follow this closely, admittedly:
They get 20 million upfront, of which at least 6 million don't have to be paid back at all,
they use this money to create a game that they will then sell,
and on top of that, you can buy an advantage over others by buying credits for cash - because they barely make a living!

Why don't people stand up and say "no pay2win!". Why is everyone letting that one slip in? Why is this game above criticism?
Did players say "hey, you know what would be cool? If I could spend dollars to get ahead of others!"
If this is what everyone wants, then everyone is pretty stupid. I just wish gamers would grow a pair and stop saying thank you for getting fucked over.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Emperor%27s_New_Clothes

It's indie. You just jelly. He makes game for the people to enjoy, not for money.

(click to show/hide)

Offline IR_Kuoin

• King
  • Renown: 1761
  • Infamy: 331
  • cRPG Player
  • What too write here?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigåde
  • Game nicks: KuoiN, Ziath
  • IRC nick: Simply Kuoin
« Reply #112 on: November 21, 2012, 03:20:06 pm »
I can't say how glad I am that cRPG is not a pay2win mod, unless the Russians would be toping the scoreboard with masterworked platearmor and all lvl 35 :P

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 450
  • Infamy: 2178
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: November 21, 2012, 03:59:08 pm »
It's indie. You just jelly. He makes game for the people to enjoy, not for money.

(click to show/hide)

You said that buying stuff for real money isn't that bad if you can achieve the same using ingame currency.

No. Boosting XP is one of the lightest possible forms of pay2win, unless it gives a huge bonus (which usually is not the case).
A prime example of pay2win is selling items with better stats that cannot be obtained through regular play.

And I have to ask again, do you want my looms?

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #114 on: November 21, 2012, 04:01:33 pm »
+1
You're all just jelly because you're not honourable physically card carrying citizens.

Either way though, I'll hold off judgement until the game hits a decent working version, e.g. beta.

Just because there's some sort of currency available for real money doesn't mean the game will be pay2win.

That those who donated get the game, a ship and title, that's a minuscule speck in terms of the grand design and plan for the game, and of little importance to those wanting to play it but didn't have the means to donate. No one even knows fully how insurance will work 100% in terms of losing your ship. I have faith in Chris Roberts when he says that everything will have a consequence and that when your ship gets blown up its gone. The ships people get aren't even as big or great as those available via the game it self.

I fully endorse developers/designers who take care of those that help drive forward the Indie community, rewards are GOOD. Some people might not have the means to take part of the opportunities but that doesn't mean they're not fair and good opportunities. We can't all be on the same playing field, it is simply impossible, because we're all different in many other aspects than how "great a gamer" we are, being it financially, our work hours, language barriers, education, available free time and so on.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 960
  • Infamy: 2154
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: November 21, 2012, 04:50:14 pm »
+3
chadz is just jelly because he wanted to make space sim, thinking how there isn't single one on the market today.

Few months later, we have plenty of space sim games in production :D

Offline Nessaj

• King
  • Renown: 1399
  • Infamy: 176
  • cRPG Player Madam Black Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ▃ ▅ ▅ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇ ▅ ▄ ▅ ▇
    • View Profile
    • Vanguard
  • Game nicks: Vanguard_Cooties
  • IRC nick: Nessaj
« Reply #116 on: November 21, 2012, 04:58:24 pm »
Ha ha, doubtful :P but there's never a shortage of ideas though.

There's a shortage of people having the necessary capabilities to make those ideas a realization.
Things don't exist simply because you believe in them, thus sayeth the almighty creature in the sky!

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #117 on: November 21, 2012, 05:12:41 pm »
You said that buying stuff for real money isn't that bad if you can achieve the same using ingame currency.

Did I?

And I have to ask again, do you want my looms?

No, why?

Offline Polobow

• Count
  • Renown: 267
  • Infamy: 30
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: SoA
« Reply #118 on: November 21, 2012, 05:20:43 pm »
No, why?

(click to show/hide)

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 64
  • Infamy: 267
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: November 21, 2012, 05:23:16 pm »
Yes, there is a few people who can make a good space game.

However, that russian guy who is developing SpaceEngine (3D planetarium exploration game I've posted recently) is planning to make a game out of it. His To-Do list is beyond impressive but it seems he's only working on his game on weekends so I doubt we'll see even 10% of it. For curious folks, check this out:

He's currently working on physics and later will work on animations. It's one man project :wink:

Infinity is going to start kickstarter campaign in next few months. There will be plenty of Elite like space games in next two years, but Star Citizen is different.

In two months is coming out that arcade space shooter where spacecrafts can transform into gundam mechas. That should be fun indie game, maybe even more.

Planetary Annihilation is probably going to be released in next 12 months or so.

Future is very bright for us, space sim fans :)