Poll

Which european nation has the greatest history and was the most powerful?

Great Britain
France
Italy
Spain
Greece
Germany
Denmark
Ireland
Portugal
Austria
Russia
Other...
Christmas Island :)

Author Topic: Who is really the greatest european nation?  (Read 50278 times)

Offline Turkhammer

• Earl
  • Renown: 376
  • Infamy: 194
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: Who is really the greatest european nation?
« Reply #225 on: April 15, 2014, 04:42:52 am »
what difference does it make. what defines greatness,  bla bla.  I see us all  being a fragment of what once will truly be great.  Europe.

great not by winning wars,  but overcoming all the nations crap and being human.

Do you really think that China or Russia or anyone else really takes what Europe says seriously?  Go put another sanction on someone.

Offline Dionysus

• Duke
  • Renown: 696
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player
  • I move-- for no man.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Art of War
  • Game nicks: Dionysus_AoW
« Reply #226 on: April 29, 2014, 10:37:13 am »
Is this even a competition? Molvanîa.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline mcdeath

• Marshall
  • Renown: 797
  • Infamy: 349
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: April 29, 2014, 10:50:14 am »
+1
I posted in this thread in 2012... Why is this still an active thread?
McDeath: This guy doesn't shut his lip, but he's one of the funniest players in-game.

Offline Angantyr

• King
  • Renown: 1134
  • Infamy: 130
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: April 29, 2014, 11:19:22 am »
Do you really think that China or Russia or anyone else really takes what Europe says seriously?  Go put another sanction on someone.
Think Torben was referring to the humanism of the enlightenment, human rights etc.

Offline Haze_The_Hobo

• Baron
  • Renown: 139
  • Infamy: 296
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Pantheon
  • Game nicks: Pantheon_Haze_The_Hobo Haze_Ze_PewPew
« Reply #229 on: April 29, 2014, 03:46:37 pm »
WINLAND IS MISSING FROM THE POLL!!

Offline darmaster

• King
  • Renown: 1398
  • Infamy: 297
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguards
  • Game nicks: Retsamrad
« Reply #230 on: May 02, 2014, 11:44:42 am »
Greatness = tax havens for oligarch criminals from actual great nations
Cayman Islands greatest nation of NA, it is known.
Although, tbf, Switzerland is actually pretty badass. Armed militias and mountain fortifications made it's independence as much as it being a convenient tax haven for surrounding countries.

Switzerland is cancer, i hope they die. Swiss are the only people with who i get realy close to racism.

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: May 03, 2014, 03:11:29 pm »
This is about nations, not countries...

Every person will tell you that nation he belongs is the most bad-ass, except those who choose not to belong to any nation.

Cuz global new world order state is the way 2 go and separate nations is an outdated concept.

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #232 on: May 03, 2014, 11:53:10 pm »
+5
Totally agree, the idea of "nations" is ironically the most inclusive form of tribalism humanity has so far. There's been research, the average person can't really conceive of really knowing and recognizing more than a few hundred people, at most, as actual individuals. That is the "natural" limit of tribalism, and it was usually linked if not entirely based on blood relations.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 11:56:31 pm by Oberyn »

Offline Oberyn

• King
  • Renown: 1578
  • Infamy: 538
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Lone Frog
  • Game nicks: Oberyn
« Reply #233 on: May 04, 2014, 03:33:23 pm »
+1
So I'm not a fan of Ronald Reagan in any way, shape or form. He was just a Hollywood actor who should never have become president, but that's ok because he was nothing more than a puppet figurehead anyways. I always thought this comment of his was pretty incisive, though:

I occasionally think how quickly our differences worldwide would vanish if we were facing an alien threat from outside this world

It's not a crazy revelation, and in fact is a theme that had already (and continues to be) explored over and over in science fiction. But I believe it to be true. If there's one thing that would spur humanity to unite under one flag, it is an outside threat. Hatred of "other" tribal groups of humans is a luxury, present only because humanity is such a dominant species in our universe (as far as we know), and the only real threat to humans are...other humans. All it would take is a REAL "other" to suddenly redraw all those battle lines. All the different tribal markers that are sources of conflict would become irrelevant. Actual, real race (i.e species) would be the only important marker.

Offline Smoothrich

• King
  • Renown: 1558
  • Infamy: 986
  • cRPG Player
  • #manup @bigplays
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: May 07, 2014, 08:50:58 am »
It's not a crazy revelation, and in fact is a theme that had already (and continues to be) explored over and over in science fiction. But I believe it to be true. If there's one thing that would spur humanity to unite under one flag, it is an outside threat. Hatred of "other" tribal groups of humans is a luxury, present only because humanity is such a dominant species in our universe (as far as we know), and the only real threat to humans are...other humans. All it would take is a REAL "other" to suddenly redraw all those battle lines. All the different tribal markers that are sources of conflict would become irrelevant. Actual, real race (i.e species) would be the only important marker.

Haha yeah right. Fascists like Panos (and probably most of the EU posters here) would pledge allegiance to the aliens immediately and form the core of the collaborationist Humanity Obedience Force.
My posting is like a katana folded 1000 times to perfection.. and the community is what keeps the edge sharp.. and bloody.  -  Me.

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #235 on: May 08, 2014, 04:36:39 pm »
+1
Haha yeah right. Fascists like Panos (and probably most of the EU posters here) would pledge allegiance to the aliens immediately and form the core of the collaborationist Humanity Obedience Force.

If aliens would put me into that Matrix goo-bath, so I can live as Jim Morrison between the age of 17 to 27 on an infinite loop - aliens could keep this stinkin planet :) Would not even blink before taking that decision.

Aliens would be a part of Democratic Galactic Union, and consider their intrusion on the American soil as an act of freedom: they would remove your "speciest" and unqualified human government, and replace it with a multi-species senate. The Free Alien States ( FAS ), as US will be know from that point, will be the central galactic source of high quality manure - a much needed resource on the leading planets of DGU. Nothing else will be produced, as it would endanger a well-established economy of the universe. Everyone who will be against the Democratic Galactic Union's economical policies - will be charged with space-terrorism and converted into manure.
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: May 10, 2014, 08:24:53 am »

all contries have great history, OP should have added time-frame :)
« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 04:39:08 pm by Sniger »

Offline Herezy92

• Earl
  • Renown: 414
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Frog
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Herezy
« Reply #237 on: May 15, 2014, 11:06:23 am »
+2
Which european nation has the greatest history and was the most powerful?
[H]ello !

This poll is non-sense.
Why?
Because the nations started to exist at many different ages.
So it's unfair because some nations are much more older than others (Hungary, France, Poland, etc... ) that's mean they have much more history (as a nation) than new ones who became recently powerfull.
Moreover, some nations involved so much in Europe (ike Austrian history) and now aren't as big as they were.

So, you need to give a start date. (exemple : "Which european nation has the greatest history and was the most powerful? since the year 1000")
Then it might be Great Britain/France/Spain.
If you ask the same question for the last century (~1900) the awnsers will be completly different.

If you go back to Antiquity, then Greece and Rome would be in the top.
(Rome is completly different than Italy, like HRE is NOT the modern Federal Germany).
-----------------------------------------------------
And so, if we don't care about the age of the european nations, here a quote about military history :
"According to the British historian Niall Ferguson, France has participated in 168 major European battles, out of which it won 109, drew 10 and lost 49, making the country the most successful military power in European history"
And as i said above, that's mean nothing...

Offline Sniger

• Marshall
  • Renown: 795
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: June 20, 2014, 06:58:21 pm »
+9
(click to show/hide)

Offline Admerius

• Earl
  • Renown: 313
  • Infamy: 60
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • Many Admerius-es and many alts(Total of 32 chars)
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Sovereignty of Aegis for life!(aka. multi-claning)
  • Game nicks: My top three nicks: Scum, William_Spearshake, Dedrater)
« Reply #239 on: August 05, 2014, 04:22:54 pm »
European NATION you say? I'll adopt an extremely narrow definition of nation meaning it will exclude con-/federations(russia, maybe even germany) and kingdoms(UK, Spain, Sweden etc. etc.), I'll even go so far as to exclude "nations" that where formed before Nationhood was properly defined.

The greatest nation of Europe is:
Finland,
that's entirely based on the fact that they produced the most awesome cellphone Nokia 3310!

(click to show/hide)

and of course:
DUDESONS!