Poll

What to do with archery

Change it back to the old system with bows defining damage type and longbow being the only one with pierce
54 (60.7%)
Keep it as it is now with arrows defining damage and everyone shooting with pierce damage
35 (39.3%)

Total Members Voted: 89

Voting closed: October 24, 2011, 01:40:34 pm

Author Topic: --> Poll <-- about the stuff with arrows  (Read 2490 times)

Offline Gisbert_of_Thuringia

• Count
  • Renown: 169
  • Infamy: 136
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild
  • Game nicks: Guard_Gisbert_of_Thuringia, Guard_Bernulf_of_Thuringia, Guard_Ranulf_of_Thuringia etc...
--> Poll <-- about the stuff with arrows
« on: October 19, 2011, 01:39:21 pm »
As we all know it's been heavily discussed for a while now but I don't remember anyone starting a poll so we can see some numbers.

At the moment arrows define the damage type, which means every archer can shoot with pierce damage, even those with little crappy hornbows, that should be made for shooting light armoured targets.

I know it was all done for some realism stuff, but actually it made archery very unbalanced.

I say remove it to the old way of archery that only longbow does pierce damage.
That way it will be more balanced again and the longbow wouldn't be that underpowered compared to other bows.

And please don't forget that I'm an archer myself for almost the whole time I've played the game now so don't call me a poor melee guy whining around ;)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 01:41:32 pm by Gisbert_of_Thuringia »

Offline Corwin

• Earl
  • Renown: 499
  • Infamy: 162
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corwin_the_Lazy
Re: --> Poll <-- about the stuff with arrows
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2011, 02:42:51 pm »
Here: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,16652.60.html

140 people voted and we have 50:50 split atm.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2011, 10:08:27 pm »
Here: http://forum.c-rpg.net/index.php/topic,16652.60.html

140 people voted and we have 50:50 split atm.

Actually...
    YES (48.3%)
    NO  (51.7%)

Slight majority to ppl who like the current way (arrows determine damage type)

Offline Corwin

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2011, 10:13:53 pm »
At the moment of posting it was 70:70. 7 archers and 2 non-archers saw the poll after the post.
I mean, what have you got to lose? You know, you come from nothing, you're going back to nothing, what have you lost? Nothing!

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2011, 10:31:40 pm »
+3
"everyone shooting with pierce damage". I like that almost subtle manipulation effort. Btw, we are not changing it back.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 01:16:46 am by Paul »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2011, 10:33:29 pm »
Not everyone uses the Bodkins, just like not every two hander uses the German or Danish Greatsword...

Fail poll is fail.

Hell, I don't use bodkins usually.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2011, 10:35:46 pm »
Not everyone uses the Bodkins, just like not every two hander uses the German or Danish Greatsword...

what :lol:

Offline Tydeus

• King
  • Renown: 1422
  • Infamy: 351
  • Item re-unbalance guy
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Tydeus
  • IRC nick: Tydeus
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2011, 10:46:36 pm »
+1
chadz> i wouldnt mind seeing some penis on my character

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2011, 01:09:40 am »
+1
As we all know it's been heavily discussed for a while now but I don't remember anyone starting a poll so we can see some numbers.

At the moment arrows define the damage type, which means every archer can shoot with pierce damage, even those with little crappy hornbows, that should be made for shooting light armoured targets.

I know it was all done for some realism stuff, but actually it made archery very unbalanced.

I say remove it to the old way of archery that only longbow does pierce damage.
That way it will be more balanced again and the longbow wouldn't be that underpowered compared to other bows.

And please don't forget that I'm an archer myself for almost the whole time I've played the game now so don't call me a poor melee guy whining around ;)

I've had the same horn bow setup for a long time now. Bodkins for first quiver, Barbed for 2nd quiver. Upkeep cost is the reason I don't always use the most damaging arrow. My assessment? This damage fix has made no change overall in how many kills I get. In general, it still takes about as many arrows to take an armored guy, unless it is a headshot. The reduction in the amount of damage in the bodkin actually allows the lighter armored guys to take more hits from me. I'm not certain I wouldn't be just as happy with my old cut damage from bodkins back again.
The problem here is perception. People were saying beforehand that a LongBow was the only viable build, but they are discovering what I and a few others already knew. That a PD 5 Horn Bow build is viable and fun and pierce damage or not, the overall effect is about the same.
The only reason people are complaining is perception. Horn Bow didn't suddenly become the best build. You just see more of them now that people don't feel trapped into a Long Bow or nothing mentality.
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2011, 01:20:19 am »
+1
As a HA I have essentially given up on using Bodkin arrows, they are so expensive and as Rumblood said against the targets one should ideally engage(cavalry, light infantry and archers) I am not sure it is an advantage to gain some piercing as opposed to overall damage.

Tin cans are still best to headshot or not to shoot at all(unless of course you have plenty of arrows left or to help some teammates out).

~Remy_The_Poor_HA

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2011, 11:59:50 am »
I don't agree with either of the poll options. I'd like for more than just the Long Bow have pierce. Give it to Short Bow and  Bow to add a tiny bit of incentive towards using them as well. As it stands now you never see them except on someone leveling up to use a Tatar and up.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 12:01:06 pm by Malaclypse »
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Corwin

• Earl
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2011, 12:15:49 pm »
You never see anyone using sickle, so what?

Offline Slamz

• Earl
  • Renown: 386
  • Infamy: 112
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Norse Horde
  • Game nicks: NH_Slamz
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2011, 04:35:49 pm »
I actually think the new method has brought balance to the game.

The problem is there are soooo many people who are used to the old system, where archers could be safely ignored because they were nearly worthless scrubs.  You'd just see teams consisting of sometimes 80% two-handers in heavy armor with no shields, no throwing, no athletics, no method what-so-ever of dealing with archers.  They dealt with archers by mainly just ignoring them, and there weren't that many archers anyway because archers sucked so bad.

So now.... archers don't suck.  Uh oh.  A large portion of the playerbase consists of builds that are basically invalid now.  Pure str, no athletics, no throwing, no shield and nobody to hide behind because all your buddies have the exact same build you do.

So far, most people have been "adapting" by playing the "I'll show you!  I'll make an archer!" game.  I think they are finding that archers have plenty of vulnerabilities.  You just have to spec for it a bit.  And not EVERYONE needs to respec.  It's just that teams of 80% two-handers are arrow fodder for archer heavy teams.  (Whereas a team of 80% shielders would laugh heartily while mugging the archer heavy team in a complete one-sided fight.)

There's a much better element of rock-paper-scissors now, instead of the old "rock beats scissors, rock beats paper, rock beats other rocks" we had before.
Crush your enemies; see them driven before you; hear the lamentations of their women.
Norse Horde

Offline Remy

• Knight
  • Renown: 68
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Remy_the_Fox
  • IRC nick: Remy
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2011, 05:32:51 pm »
+1
I think that is another problem at least in battle, a large portion of the infantry utilizes polearms or two handed weapons as opposed to shields.

Thus as you say they are quite vulnerable to ranged fire.

Not that there is anything wrong with that, I ran around as with a 1H axe and no shield or 2H(as a Ninja) for most of my time playing cRPG and so forth. However, I accepted that ranged troops would be rather bad for my health.

Ideally one would hope that with balanced weapons and classes we would see rather varied builds and types of players(1H w/shield, 2H, Polearm, Cavalry, etc.).
« Last Edit: October 20, 2011, 05:36:27 pm by Remy »

Fox, Horse Archer, Tker of Chagan.

Offline justme

• Count
  • Renown: 188
  • Infamy: 45
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_Elsupreme
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2011, 07:50:01 am »

Fail poll is fail.

Hell, I don't use bodkins usually.

you lie like a rest of  archers.... all i see on  ground are bodkins and bodkins..