Author Topic: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare (first and thirdperson melee game?)  (Read 87851 times)

Offline Mr.Lion

• Peasant
  • Renown: 4
  • Infamy: 9
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Go check out this awesome game on http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1711512107/chivalry-medieval-warfare and show your support !

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
  • Renown: 2528
  • Infamy: 615
  • cRPG Player Madam White Queen A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Re: Chivalry: Medieval Warfare (first and thirdperson melee game?)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2012, 01:30:38 pm »
They're gathering money now? I thought that game is already far in development.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Mr.Lion

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2012, 02:45:38 pm »
They're gathering money now? I thought that game is already far in development.

If you would've clicked the link and watched the video or read the text you would've known.
Since you are unable to do that here is the text from the Kickstarter site.

"Why Kickstarter?

For us, Kickstarter represents several awesome opportunities, making it a win win situation for current or new fans of the game and the development team.

- Because kickstarter fees are less than those from traditional online distributors, we are actually able to offer the game for cheaper, while the developers make roughly the same amount. So it allows our fanbase to pick up the game at a reduced price and in doing so more directly support us, the developers of the game.

- Kickstarter is also an excellent way for us to allow preorders for the game, something we were unlikely to be able to do otherwise due to "redtape" and regulations with many online distributors.

- Kickstarter in itself is a great marketing opportunity for exposure with the game.

- Kickstarter allows us to offer players a variety of additional products based around the game such as t-shirts, posters and custom art.

- Paying off Debt and loans, when we said many team members had given up everything to do this, we meant it. The development team has personally dug deep into its own pockets over the past two years and put a lot on the line to make this happen because for us it is a labour of love.
"

@Christo: AoC does not equal Chivalry Medieval Warfare so it doesn't have to be posted in the same topic. Like Mount and Blade 2 does not equal Mount and Blade Napoleonic Wars.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2012, 03:10:02 pm »
+1
Does kickstarter even allow that?  :wink:

Anyway, too much shooter style for my liking.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2012, 03:15:05 pm by chadz »

Offline Mr.Lion

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2012, 03:53:05 pm »
Does kickstarter even allow that?  :wink:

Anyway, too much shooter style for my liking.
Funding a project is the key principle of Kickstarter: http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/guidelines

Don't know what you mean with "shooter style". If you're referring to the firstperson view, don't worry because the game supports and is playable in thirdperson view.

Offline chadz

• The lazy
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 3188
  • Infamy: 724
  • Sir Black King A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: irc://
  • IRC nick: chadz
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2012, 04:08:07 pm »
+1
Doesn't look like funding though, more like using it as a payment system. But that doesn't really bother me, just thought it's strange.

As for shooter style: dunno, the whole movement and stuff, looks like a FPS with swords. Like dueling with crowbars in halflife :)

Offline DarkFox

• Knight
  • Renown: 42
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2012, 05:16:11 pm »
Don't know what you mean. You need to aim yours strikes you need to aim your blocks you can dodge and a lot of other cool stuff. How can it look like dueling with crowbars  :?.

Offline Mr.Lion

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2012, 06:21:00 pm »
+1
Doesn't look like funding though, more like using it as a payment system. But that doesn't really bother me, just thought it's strange.

As for shooter style: dunno, the whole movement and stuff, looks like a FPS with swords. Like dueling with crowbars in halflife :)

Pre-ordering the game is a type of funding, they get the money more earlier then the release date so they can use it for various game related reasons (including the ones I've already mentioned)

".. it allows our fanbase to pick up the game at a reduced price and in doing so more directly support us, the developers of the game. " this is a win-win situation so I don't see any reason to complain.

"Paying off Debt and loans, when we said many team members had given up everything to do this, we meant it. The development team has personally dug deep into its own pockets over the past two years and put a lot on the line to make this happen because for us it is a labour of love." maybe some of the devs are broke and need financial help to keep working on the game? Enough other reasons to fund this game.

Comparing this:

to this:               

Is just plain ignorant.  :P

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2012, 06:34:29 pm »
Looks stiff, WoTR style. A bit better maybe.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2012, 06:35:36 pm »
Very WotR, and WotR is an abomination.

Offline Mr.Lion

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2012, 07:22:13 pm »
You call this stiff? That coming from a cRPG player, a game where you can't even sprint or jump. I won't even touch the combat system because I'm in a rush.

One more thing, I don't know why people keep comparing this to Wotr. Infact Mount and Blade looks more like Wotr than Chivalry does.
But they are completely different or is Mount and Blade(include Warband) a complete abomination?( according to you Vibe )
It's just like CoD fan boys comparing every FPS to CoD. They don't want to acknowledge the differences for some reason. I'm sure there is a psychological reason behind that. I assume it's because people are generally conservative if they like the current situation and are afraid of and even oppose change in their current situation.

Offline Scorp

• Knight
  • Renown: 35
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: 22nd_Scorp_V
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2012, 08:18:03 pm »

I have been Alpha and now beta testing Chivalry MW with the dev team since 2010 and I personally disagree with this; if you pick it up when its released I think your opinion on the movement and vibe will change :)

Offline cmp

• M:BG Developer
  • Supreme Overlord
  • Renown: 2052
  • Infamy: 569
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: cmp
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2012, 08:51:08 pm »
Unless they show videos of a different game, I doubt that.

Offline Vibe

• Vibrator
  • King
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2012, 09:04:19 pm »
You call this stiff? That coming from a cRPG player, a game where you can't even sprint or jump. I won't even touch the combat system because I'm in a rush.

One more thing, I don't know why people keep comparing this to Wotr. Infact Mount and Blade looks more like Wotr than Chivalry does.
But they are completely different or is Mount and Blade(include Warband) a complete abomination?( according to you Vibe )
It's just like CoD fan boys comparing every FPS to CoD. They don't want to acknowledge the differences for some reason. I'm sure there is a psychological reason behind that. I assume it's because people are generally conservative if they like the current situation and are afraid of and even oppose change in their current situation.

How does it feel to be a fanboy of a game that isn't even near release version, I bet it fucking rocks man, every thing we see you can counter "no it isn't actually like that in-game" and every thing that is missing or we dislike you can go "it's going to be different at release, it's still alpha!!!"