Author Topic: Please take another look at Athletics  (Read 2282 times)

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • Renown: 996
  • Infamy: 564
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Byzantium
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_TzarOfRushYa
  • IRC nick: TZAR
Re: Please take another look at Athletics
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2011, 11:47:16 pm »
Digglez your ignorant tool i have 15 AGI and 5 ATH how does that make me a STR stacker?? plz dont assume just that because people disagree on the forums that they are the opposite of what they are complaining about.

Also ATH is fine.

People shouldn't be able to win just by backpedalling if you cant feint or block go to the duel server and catch up  :lol:
dont come here asking for the devs to make you able to avoid the risk of combat by walking backwards.

Also matey why on earth do you only have 8 ath as a 1h user?? my 1h alt does fine with 6 ath and a iberian mace with 71 reach...

8 ath must mean u have shit dmg no wonder u need to run faster than everyone with balanced builds.  :lol:

« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 12:11:03 am by Tzar »
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline Matey

• King
  • Renown: 1327
  • Infamy: 372
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Matey_BRD
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 12:18:27 am »
im rocking a masterwork grosser messer, so i do ok damage, its just that i normally end up fighting 3-5 guys at a time, and that used to be fine cause i could outfootwork the tin cans and move people around and kill em one by one. now half the time when i try to leave a tin can behind i get slashed. p.s. i die in 1-2 hits cause i have 44hp and wear 450 gold armour.

Offline Gamerofthegame

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: LLJK_Desu, LLJK_McSteve, LLJK_Gamer
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2011, 05:38:12 am »
Stop the personal attacks, god damn.

Back pedaling, to my aware-ness, gives a -50% speed... So unless it's a naked guy with 10 athletics verus a man in black armor with 0 the guy will be able to do just fine.

I personally use my speedy character as a rogue of sorts, flanking around the group and hitting them from behind as my allies fight from the front. The speed increase is noticeable, yes, but it's not all that significant. You'll pull ahead of the initial rush out into the battle field and you'll probably out run someone chasing you, but you won't be fast, you'll just be slightly faster then everyone else.

Offline Malaclypse

• King
  • Renown: 1299
  • Infamy: 146
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2011, 09:56:08 am »
Yeah, the only way you're going to be effectively backpedaled is if you yourself have done an extreme strength build, wear heavy plate, and have low or no athletics vs a very high athletics character.
You think you're pretty smart with your dago mustache and your greasy hair.

Offline Paul

• Developer
  • Renown: 1879
  • Infamy: 442
  • ball bounce boss
    • View Profile
  • IRC nick: Urist
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2011, 10:11:45 am »
I guess most people aren't aware of the sprint mechanic added in Native beta long ago. Without knowing this it is easy to wonder why that plate guy just managed to catch up with the light armor kiter.

Offline Matey

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2011, 10:49:33 am »
well ive been playing since late november, and almost constantly done 8 athletics or more since the upkeep patch... a lot of the stuff i used to do with no problem to get in and out of battles doesnt seem to work any more, i dont seem to move quick enough anymore. so maybe everyone else has more athletics now or something... but it really feels to me like athletics took a hit in the recent patches. I would like to see it mean a bit more, give us agi chars something to make up for our lack of hp, damage, and armour. you cant really give us a significant attack speed increase since if you break the attack block attack block tempo of a battle and make it so one player can swing faster than the other ever can... that would be totally broken. so instead, give us a more noticeable footwork advantage... its there already, but its too inor to really justify losing all the hp damage and ability to wear heavy armour. one mistake is usually a dead agi build, str builds get to make like 5.

Offline EyeBeat

• Earl
  • Renown: 432
  • Infamy: 175
  • 20th BEST PLAYER IN HOSPITALLER
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hospitaller
  • Game nicks: EyeBeat_The_Wanderer
  • IRC nick: EyeBeat
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2011, 10:51:50 am »
I was just commenting in my game how my 6 athletics cant keep up with hardly anyone that is str build.  They need to dramatically up the top speed of athletics.  This is ridiculous.

Athletics is almost useless now.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Being a smallish community doesn't entitle you to act more like a dick than other communities.

Offline MrShovelFace

• Baron
  • Renown: 119
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Nobody cares about who I am or what I think
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2011, 11:10:43 pm »
i see the difference. If on flat land i will always outrun heavier people.

You are the victim of an ancient bug in M&B. When ever you transition to an object's surface (like a floor slab) your speed goes down giving your enemy the ability to get in range. Same with any changes of terrain. Dont assume that just because you are slowed down by a hill your enemy is too. The enemy chasing you will still be on flat land running full speed while you are on a hill running half.

Also when fighting on slopes both parties have about the same speed

and also back peddaling isnt about out running your enemy
its about changing directions a lot which is easier with athletics.
Not useless, winning
« Last Edit: May 18, 2011, 11:13:02 pm by MrShovelFace »
Nobody cares about who I am or what I think

Offline HarunYahya

• Marshall
  • Renown: 965
  • Infamy: 309
  • cRPG Player
  • Proud Abdulla wielder
    • View Profile
  • Faction: BashiBazouks
  • Game nicks: HarunYahya,HarunShootya,Inan
  • IRC nick: HarunYahya
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2011, 08:14:58 am »
Backpedalling with long polearm = lame = pure win.
With every successful hit you stun the opponent which gives you more and more chance to run away or get to his behind etc.
I do hate those guys but tbh i spam shielders while backpeddaling with my mighty GLA most of the time.Feinting/Kicking are waste of time since i can break any shield in very short time.

Offline Gravoth_iii

• King
  • Renown: 1454
  • Infamy: 341
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
  • \ [†] / ☼
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ▬▬ι═══════ﺤ
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Gravoth, Prince_of_the_Land_of_Stench, Gravy, Igor_Boltsack
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2011, 12:18:51 pm »
If athletics is going to be buffed then overall speed has to be reduced by like 50% since you already move way to fast to be able to fight if it was realistic, im not saying i want the game to be totally realistic but it is so easy to squeeze through groups of enemies or just quickly run around a shielder. I used to be 10 athl with 3k armor and i outsped 18k armors when backpeddaling, so i dont really think it needs a buff but movement speed should be reduced.
Paprika: ...the Internet and dreams are similar. They're areas where the repressed conscious mind escapes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VXQSs1Qfcc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LW6y-kgKtA
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline OzyTheSage

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 6
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
  • Game nicks: Ozymandias
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2011, 04:31:29 pm »
i see the difference. If on flat land i will always outrun heavier people.

You are the victim of an ancient bug in M&B. When ever you transition to an object's surface (like a floor slab) your speed goes down giving your enemy the ability to get in range. Same with any changes of terrain. Dont assume that just because you are slowed down by a hill your enemy is too. The enemy chasing you will still be on flat land running full speed while you are on a hill running half.

Also when fighting on slopes both parties have about the same speed

and also back peddaling isnt about out running your enemy
its about changing directions a lot which is easier with athletics.
Not useless, winning

Yeah, that little bug hates me. Does athletics increase the speed at which you start "sprinting?" When you move forward after a few seconds you will start to move at top speed, but after moving over a surface like you mentioned you will just revert to normal speed which is used in combat because you swing and block so much (which reverts your speed). It would be useful if athletics lowered the time it took to get to sprinting speed. I think it increases your overall acceleration (less sliding around) but I'm not sure about accelerating to running speed from a hill or some such.

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2011, 05:32:36 pm »
Yes the moar ath the faster u will start to sprint. there is a thread around here where someone did test and came to how fast u move with ath ect ect.. try search for it
I've never played a server where people split up as much or as often as on EU1.  No wonder range is having a field day.

Offline OzyTheSage

• Baron
  • Renown: 84
  • Infamy: 6
  • Om nom nom
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
  • Game nicks: Ozymandias
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2011, 06:31:29 pm »
I have seen the very helpful post Walt made about that, however I didn't see anything at all about acceleration times, only time trials over a set piece of terrain (which I did find very helpful and informative) Unless, of course, I completely missed it in his post. In fact, doing a ctrl+f search for "acceleration" shows that others were curious about this as well. Actually, it would probably be more useful to ask this in that topic...

The topic in question is Here

Offline Tzar

• Marshall
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2011, 06:42:15 pm »
Anyways i can tell you from my own experience that the more ath you have the faster you get to top speed so all in all the more ath you have the faster you move obviously.

Offline Matey

• King
  • cRPG Player
  • A Pirate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2011, 09:21:26 pm »
I have seen the very helpful post Walt made about that, however I didn't see anything at all about acceleration times, only time trials over a set piece of terrain (which I did find very helpful and informative) Unless, of course, I completely missed it in his post. In fact, doing a ctrl+f search for "acceleration" shows that others were curious about this as well. Actually, it would probably be more useful to ask this in that topic...

The topic in question is Here

the big question with that topic is... did they change anything in the last 2 patches? i think they did, because a lot of the issues im having now, i did not have before. it seems to be a pretty minor difference, but it has gotten me killed many times already... im not getting away with the kind of things i used to get away with, and that hurts since i have 44hp and 36 body armour.