Author Topic: Village Acre  (Read 2067 times)

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Village Acre
« on: April 18, 2011, 09:09:48 pm »
Well we all know there a lot of Village maps currently, and i bet your all thinking great another bloody village map....just what we need.

However a lot of village maps that i have played in end up in one team attacking and one team defending, with little route to flank or do much with due to either large scale hills, trees or other obstacles. So i have been designing and finally made a map that is versatile to all types, inf, archer and cav.

This is faction_1 spawn point. A small harbour with a lightouse to one side. Boats have been barred so no chance of spawn camping, which we all love so much...well not quite
(click to show/hide)

Faction_2 spawn, a nice little farmstead with an orchard and squash garden, with a neat little Church off to one side. Possible camping at spawn however is in danger from being surrounded from all sides.
(click to show/hide)

A nice little flanking route and large hill with cover of trees which allows for minimal camping, but again if the current village has been taken these 'campers' will be enevitably useless.
(click to show/hide)

Entranceways into the village. One on either side near each factions spawn.
(click to show/hide)

These next few pictures are all of the inside of the village. Now this village i decided should have a twist. Instead of one team having a distinct advantage over the village leading to the teams being unbalanced this now will lead to a few options. Large scale battle for the village, giving strategical advantage to the victorious team, two side flanking routes for the teams to get in behind the enemy to turn the tide of battle or to go 'over the top' for archers and the more cowardly melee. I have also blocked the roofs of every house so to prevent archer campers and team camping all the time. There are little 'cubby' holes of which archers can shoot out of as well as stair cases.
(click to show/hide)

And a little surprise. With every village we all know would have had a nice little Lord or 'protector' and we all know how much Lords love to feast. So i have also implemented a nice little Lords Hall full of banqueting tables, and indeed food alreay prepared for his return, little did he know it would become a perfect spot for ambushes. Also if archers are smart enough they can climb up top for a concealed sniping spot.
(click to show/hide)

Now just an overall birds eye view of the map
(click to show/hide)

This map will not only allow all types of classes, but it will also make sure that everyone now does not separate and encourages teamwork, strategical thinking and all together is balanced and will stop people raging about one team having all the 'advantage'.

This will also soon be on the cRPG_NYC_Acre server but will hopefully be available for other servers if they ask for it.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 04:22:10 pm by SirCymro_Crusader »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Village Acre
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2011, 09:15:09 pm »
At a glance, It looks ok and is friendly to all classes, but i need to test this as one of my characters to see how well this actually plays, is it linked up atm? I may hop in.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2011, 09:15:57 pm »
At a glance, It looks ok and is friendly to all classes, but i need to test this as one of my characters to see how well this actually plays, is it linked up atm? I may hop in.

No unfortunately our member who links all the maps up has well....disappeared

EDIT: For some reason not the whole post is shown (for me) so you may have to open the bottom spoiler to see all of the pictures.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2011, 09:19:03 pm by SirCymro_Crusader »

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 8
  • For England, and Saint George!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Killmoar_the_Lone_Knight
  • IRC nick: ToxicKilla
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2011, 09:25:27 pm »
Look's quite good. I think you've got all the balance right aswell. Just add some slight hills on the flat parts. Maybe even a field outside the village.

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2011, 09:26:52 pm »
Look's quite good. I think you've got all the balance right aswell. Just add some slight hills on the flat parts. Maybe even a field outside the village.

The fields are the few farmsteads around the place, the flatness is for cav however at faction_2 spawn i may place a hill but other than that its pretty covered

Offline ToxicKilla

• Knight
  • Renown: 79
  • Infamy: 8
  • For England, and Saint George!
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Killmoar_the_Lone_Knight
  • IRC nick: ToxicKilla
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2011, 09:29:18 pm »
The fields are the few farmsteads around the place, the flatness is for cav however at faction_2 spawn i may place a hill but other than that its pretty covered

Aye, I mean like a large wheat field or something. The hills shouldn't be much, I mean like a very very slight hill, nothing that would affect speed, just so it looks nice and natural, not like a football pitch or something.

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2011, 09:32:18 pm »
Haha will do then cheers for the feedback

Offline Roran Hawkins

• Knight
  • Renown: 46
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Hedge Knight
  • Game nicks: Roran
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2011, 11:12:16 am »
I suggest making some variation in textures, use the "path" texture and "earth" texture to give paths and the ground some more flavour. The grass seems so dull...

Nice map though.

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2011, 04:24:46 pm »
Map has been updated with following features.

Barriers in place on top of houses to prevent roof campers.
Map size has been reduced, (edge of trees).
Trees have been implemented to make it easier for flanking forces, and harder for cavalry.
New textures, grassland has replaced turf, small forest paths and village texture dominate map.
Sand for the beach, and rock for the small hill.
Small rolling hills near faction_2 spawn.
Farms now have earth as soil, and small fence added.

With thanks to Leinkir on his advice and help.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2011, 04:26:23 pm by SirCymro_Crusader »

Offline Reinhardt

• Count
  • Renown: 274
  • Infamy: 84
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Crusaders of Acre
  • IRC nick: Reinhardt
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2011, 06:31:44 pm »
This will also soon be on the cRPG_NYC_Acre server but will hopefully be available for other servers if they ask for it.

Sorry. The rotation for the Acre server will be strictly custom maps featured only on the Acre server (in due time). This is to keep our server different than the rest.  8-)

However, It looks fantastic now, Cymro. Nice job, mate.
"A leader is a dealer in hope."

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2011, 01:42:11 am »
Are the invisible walls everywhere?
I saw Air shooting on one of the roofs.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

• King
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2011, 12:46:46 pm »
Are the invisible walls everywhere?
I saw Air shooting on one of the roofs.

They are 20m high on all roofs, except the very low down ones you can jump on and done need the use of a ladder for, such as the granary. Other than that all village roofs have barriers on them