Author Topic: Strat Suggestions: More Titles and a Competition  (Read 2663 times)

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
  • Renown: 682
  • Infamy: 21
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Free Peasants of Fisdnar
Strat Suggestions: More Titles and a Competition
« on: June 27, 2012, 09:37:16 pm »
+22
Moar Titles

Currently there's no difference in title between someone who owns a village, castle or town, everybody is a lord.  How about adding a little variety based on the culture of your clan and the prestige that would come from owning higher level fiefs?

On the c-rpg.net page where you select whether to show your title if you own a fief, you would pick what your title would be if you own a certain type of fief.  For example:

Village = Mayor, Bishop, Chieftain
Castle = Baron, Count, Sheik, Knyaz etc
Town = Duke, Emir, Jarl etc

So there would be different options for different cultures like western European, Scandinavian, Muslim, Russian, Italian, something vaguely tribal and everything else that would make sense within the medieval theme of the game.  That leads into part 2...

Become King/Sultan/Emperor of Calradia

A competition where for every castle your faction holds you get a point, for every town more.  As you get points you unlock titles and ultimately unlock the title of king.

Villages wouldn't give points so factions wouldn't take more than they need.

The point threshold for the king rank could be high so there's only one or it could be lower so 2-3 people could claim to be king at once.

It could also be more more involved where if a faction owns certain combinations of fiefs in different regions they unlock new regional titles or honorific titles unconnected to owning a fief that only the faction leader could hand out.  Yes, I've been playing Crusader Kings 2.

Why: I like the current sandboxy nature of Strategus but some people have complained about the lack of endgame.  Maybe this competition would provide that?  The storyline being a kingdom collapsed with various factions fighting for the crown.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Renown: 1178
  • Infamy: 158
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Order of the Holy Guard
  • Game nicks: Elindor
Re: Strat Suggestions: More Titles and a Competition
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 09:42:11 pm »
Support this 100%

------------------------

I also agree that Strategus might be better if it kind of went in ages or great cycles.  One cycle might be 6mo to a year in RL, and then someone or some group is kinda crowned high emperor of calradia and the map is all reset and starts over after a little like 3week break or something.

The history of the winners could be kept in a sticky somewhere or on the webpage.

That way more stuff could happen and more people could get involved and new changes/features could be implemented easier, etc.

------------------------

To take that idea a step farther - I used to play in a WWII tournament BFE-WaW that used BF1942 FH mod.

Basically they had campaigns and an interactive map (I did graphics for it sometimes).

Each campaign leaders of each side (lets say Germany vs UK) would be selected and they would structure their armies (Div staff and company captains and then captains broke down their companies, etc).  These armies would fight each other for strategic points on the map and progress would be followed...and after like 3 months there would be a winner - so real gains and losses could be had.  After that, the campaign was over and a couple weeks later a new one started. 

Could be kinda interesting to draw SOME elements of that....because right now I agree with the people that say Strategus is sorta "meh" because nothing of any real impact can happen since its sort of ambiguously endless.  If it went in cycles, more stuff could happen without turning people off ("Well we lost that one, but next Strat we are gonna crush those guys!")

Maybe Strategus could be made up of like 5-10 kingdoms that have chosen leaders and those kingdoms vie for control of an interactive map (could have less holdings if necessary) and after a couple months of that a victor is determined and the map resets.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:37:25 am by Elindor »
Elindor, Archon of the Holy Guard
Holy Guard Thread :HERE
Banner Shop : HERE // Map Thread : HERE

Offline Taser

• King
  • Renown: 1447
  • Infamy: 82
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook
    • View Profile
  • Faction: TKoV
  • Game nicks: Alfred_Taser_of_TKoV
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 02:13:23 am »
I definitely like the idea of cycles since having strat go on forever doesn't work since people make alliances and settle in their little parts of the map, forever fortifying.

The titles are a nice touch as well. Definitely agree with the different titles for owning a village as opposed to a castle.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Shadowren

• Count
  • Renown: 255
  • Infamy: 63
  • cRPG Player
  • It isnt sufficient that I succeed-others must fail
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Shadowren_ATS
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 02:53:54 am »
Good Idea love it 100%

Away with you, vile beggar.

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2012, 03:11:01 am »
Thanks, yeah I thought having a competition might help move the action along.  It could even be done unofficially next time Strategus is reset with factions who are interested forming a league and deciding on the rules and titles.

If it was official, it probably wouldn't break up the normal alliances that form but only one faction leader could have the title of king, so anything is possible.  :)  Some interesting stuff could happen as one faction gets close to the goal, kind of like realm divide in Shogun 2.

I was searching for a past suggestion and noticed Tomas actually had a similar title suggestion that involved more positions within a fief.

Offline FRANK_THE_TANK

• King
  • Renown: 1312
  • Infamy: 339
  • cRPG Player Sir White Knight
  • FluckCucker
    • View Profile
  • Faction: A Free and proud Peasant of Fisdnar!!!
  • Game nicks: FRANK_THE_TANK
  • IRC nick: Sippy sip
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 03:30:37 am »
+1
I dig it, good ideas all round.

I like Thomas's's's's idea as well. I always thought it would be handy to have multiple members of a clan have complete access to a fief.
Fammi un pompino!

I think I have ball cancer in my right nut :(
Good news everybody! It's not nut cancer :)
Bad news everybody, I got dumped :(

Offline Visconti

• Count
  • Renown: 278
  • Infamy: 52
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Velucan
  • Game nicks: Tristran_Steward_of_TKoV
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2012, 09:35:15 am »
Really like this idea, +1
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it everywhere, diagnosing it incorrectly and applying the wrong remedies

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2012, 09:18:56 pm »
If it did turn into ROUNDS (campaigns) with winners then there could be some sort of reward for that clan or something...nothing major, maybe a little gold or a free banner slot for a period of time or something....

or maybe everyone in that clan can pick a title for a while like "Champion of Calradia"

Just ideas.

Offline Knute

• Strategus Councillor
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2012, 08:17:12 pm »
Maybe Strategus could be made up of like 5-10 kingdoms that have chosen leaders and those kingdoms vie for control of an interactive map (could have less holdings if necessary) and after a couple months of that a victor is determined and the map resets.

I think it'd be interesting to try something like this with a limited number of factions that anyone could join, even if just for a short time after a strategus reset to see if people like it.  There's only a few people working on strategus though so any radical change would probably take a really long time to make.

Back when there were less wars people were talking about this kinda thing a bit more.  I did a six faction only suggestion and Phyrex had a much better sounding one as well but with bigger changes. 

I try to imagine, if Taleworlds was making their own multiplayer version of Warband singleplayer, what would it look like?  I think it probably be more inclusive and fast paced if anything, a more arcade style where people could play on and off and the native faction territory on the map changed hourly.  It might let you keep loot but not have character building, just the preset classes so when you join a battle you pick one and everyone is on more even ground.

Offline Elindor

• King
  • Caelitus mihi vires
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2012, 09:53:44 pm »
Yeah i think strat just needs something to make it more finite.  as much as i love sandbox, i think campaigns would be more interesting and engaging and get more people to actively play it since it would have a more tangible result.

Offline Lamk

• Knight
  • Renown: 74
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lamk
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 01:22:33 am »

I try to imagine, if Taleworlds was making their own multiplayer version of Warband singleplayer, what would it look like?

That would be awesome. I'm already imagining my friends ruling their kingdom and making alliances to control all the map. That's the principal thing I expect for M&B 2

Offline Lemmy_Winks

• Count
  • Renown: 241
  • Infamy: 230
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Lemmy_Winks
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2012, 12:48:01 am »
Whatever you do you have to drive competition and encourage fighting. The current strat doesn't do this, the king title might help, if clan leaders would attack those they are netural/on good terms with for a title.

Offline Haboe

• King
  • Renown: 1090
  • Infamy: 331
  • Born with a shield on my back. Difficult birth.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Haboe
« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2012, 04:58:19 pm »
Lill bump is in place here.

Offline Muki

• Earl
  • Renown: 455
  • Infamy: 78
  • cRPG Player
  • 偽善正義
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Exile
  • Game nicks: Muki
  • IRC nick: Muki, Muki39
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2012, 10:08:36 pm »
+1
Adding more fiefs In the NE part of the map would help too since all that there is a big ass forest
(click to show/hide)

As a volunteer admin I clearly have no life and live only to eradicate all fun and enjoyment from the game. Your tears of rage are all the payment I need.
Yes I drew most of my avatars