Author Topic: Why Couched Lances Are Still In This Game.  (Read 2098 times)

Offline Frankysan

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • PENITENTIAGITE!
    • View Profile
Why Couched Lances Are Still In This Game.
« on: March 07, 2012, 04:53:13 pm »

Offline The_Bloody_Nine

• Marshall
  • Renown: 946
  • Infamy: 108
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "I am still alive"
    • View Profile
Re: Why Couched Lances Are Still In This Game.
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 05:04:35 pm »
+5
bullshit.

Getting couched from behind and in general can be very frustrating and I hate it very much each time it happens. Nonetheless it is in no way an I-win-button and if you see someone with a couched lance you can easily dodge and with good movement even kill/hurt most doing it. Also you can avoid getting in a spot where cav can couch you. All in all it ads more varity and depth to the game and should stay of course.

The only thing/tweak I could imagine was that couching becomes no longer stoppable. Means if you hit x you cannot abort couch before it stops itself or you get too slow. This would probably cause a lot of TKs at first but would be also nice because you'd have to be really sure if you wanna use it in your current situation.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 05:56:51 pm »
+2
Let's just toss out the great lance then. The other lances are rarely couched except to take out very heavy targets anyway.

Offline Okkam

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 06:03:41 pm »
+1
bullshit.

Getting couched from behind and in general can be very frustrating and I hate it very much each time it happens. Nonetheless it is in no way an I-win-button and if you see someone with a couched lance you can easily dodge and with good movement even kill/hurt most doing it. Also you can avoid getting in a spot where cav can couch you. All in all it ads more varity and depth to the game and should stay of course.

The only thing/tweak I could imagine was that couching becomes no longer stoppable. Means if you hit x you cannot abort couch before it stops itself or you get too slow. This would probably cause a lot of TKs at first but would be also nice because you'd have to be really sure if you wanna use it in your current situation.

50% chance to broke lance with couche will work even better. (with 20% chance to broke at minimal couchable speed and 100% at maximum horse speed)
1 slot for heavy lance in this case ofc.

Offline Spa_geh_tea

• Baron
  • Renown: 130
  • Infamy: 114
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bearded Vagrant
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 06:08:01 pm »
So, great lance never breaks. Otherwise its a waste, because poke poke lance range and ability to one shot >= great lance couch.

Offline Rumblood

• King
  • Renown: 1199
  • Infamy: 420
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: GrannPappy
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 11:34:42 pm »
Really? I mean really? You can't manage to avoid a a guy who has to achieve a set speed before the thing will couch, and then it isn't easy to hit an aware target. I watch them come, sidestep and shoot them in the face.

I guess this is a L2P post  :P
"I don't think much of a man who is not wiser today than he was yesterday" – Abraham Lincoln

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Leshma

• Kickstarter Addict
  • King
  • Renown: 1724
  • Infamy: 2196
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • VOTE 2024
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 12:03:11 am »
+2
1) Buff Great Lance.
2) Nerf couching with Heavy Lance:
- double the speed needed to be in couching mode when using HL
- shorten the duration (not sure if possible?)

Offline Frankysan

• Baron
  • Renown: 97
  • Infamy: 50
  • cRPG Player
  • PENITENTIAGITE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 03:32:53 am »
Really? I mean really? You can't manage to avoid a a guy who has to achieve a set speed before the thing will couch, and then it isn't easy to hit an aware target. I watch them come, sidestep and shoot them in the face.

I guess this is a L2P post  :P
sorry but i bet you are a lancer lol. my point is the heavy lance is a powerfull weapon on horseback, and doesn't need any unblockable lame onehitting move to be viable.
your L2P is kinda tard; instead  give us a good reason why couch should stay on heavy lance. Looks totally unnecessary to me, everyone realizes  is a shortcut to mastering the timing of lance stab, and atm one of the plagues of this mod is exactly cavalry taking NO SKILLS AT ALL to play;maybe taking off the picture the free kills from this lame move would be a good start.

on the great lance is fine i guess, so you can lol at noob lancer at first sight when you see one..
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 03:34:02 am by Frankysan »

Offline TurmoilTom

• King
  • Renown: 1089
  • Infamy: 166
  • cRPG Player
  • Doesn't really play that much anymore
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 03:46:40 am »
sorry but i bet you are a lancer lol. my point is the heavy lance is a powerfull weapon on horseback, and doesn't need any unblockable lame onehitting move to be viable.
your L2P is kinda tard; instead  give us a good reason why couch should stay on heavy lance. Looks totally unnecessary to me, everyone realizes  is a shortcut to mastering the timing of lance stab, and atm one of the plagues of this mod is exactly cavalry taking NO SKILLS AT ALL to play;maybe taking off the picture the free kills from this lame move would be a good start.

on the great lance is fine i guess, so you can lol at noob lancer at first sight when you see one..

Rumblood's an archer. Couched lances *are* blockable. You just need a shield. Funny thing is that you don't need to block them if you just press a movement button. That's why I only couched idle dudes at enemy spawn. I'm not cav anymore, though. You may find this hard to believe, but I found it more difficult than 2h. Now I'm a 2h again. I love my ezmodo 2h.

Offline Son Of Odin

• King
  • Renown: 1856
  • Infamy: 338
  • Sky belongs to Asagods as long as the raven flies.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Son_Of_Odin
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 03:47:21 am »
+4
(click to show/hide)
Someone clearly has never tried to play as cavalry :mrgreen:. Couching isn't really that simple and it has big weaknesses. Therefore it has to be used only in special occations. Actually hitting someone with couched lance is a bit tricky and you have to train good amount of time to use it effectively. Most of infantry can dodge it if they are aware. I use it basically only against shielders. Sometimes against noob archers who are not seeing it coming. That is fun, but for experienced player it is really easy to dodge couched lance and counterattack.

(click to show/hide)

There is no sight in my third eye

Offline Gnjus

• King
  • Renown: 1831
  • Infamy: 397
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Siktir git, pislik okçu.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Turklings
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 09:28:15 am »
+1
(click to show/hide)
Do you honestly think you have any sort of moral authority, Reyiz? Go genocide some more armenians and deny it ever happened, please, and stay in the middle east.

Offline Wookimonsta

• Hoopy frood
  • Count
  • Renown: 206
  • Infamy: 143
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 10:16:59 am »
50% chance to broke lance with couche will work even better. (with 20% chance to broke at minimal couchable speed and 100% at maximum horse speed)
1 slot for heavy lance in this case ofc.

thats fine, of course to balance it, lets make it so horsebump has a 50% chance to break your legs. (with 20% chance to broke at minimal couchable speed and 100% at maximum horse speed)

Not for balance of course, I just want to see people with broken legs crawling around the battlefield, trying to fight each other.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 10:18:23 am by Wookimonsta »
[14:36] <@chadz> when you login there is a message "your life as horse archer was too depressing for you. you decided to commit suicide. please create a new char"
<dexxtaa> I just saw nakey ladies and I left
<@Fasader> dexxtaa is clearly gay

Offline obitus

• Earl
  • Renown: 486
  • Infamy: 58
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
    • http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SeAOv_H-hh0&hd=1
  • Faction: kings of kd
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 10:30:34 am »
if you honestly have trouble getting couched you need to

-move up a 20 degree incline, or
-stand by or on obstacles

Offline Okkam

• Baron
  • Renown: 94
  • Infamy: 49
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 11:14:47 am »
thats fine, of course to balance it, lets make it so horsebump has a 50% chance to break your legs. (with 20% chance to broke at minimal couchable speed and 100% at maximum horse speed)

Not for balance of course, I just want to see people with broken legs crawling around the battlefield, trying to fight each other.

Ok. Also let's make it so every collision of your horse with tree, wall, stone, another horse will broke your horse's legs and neck. I just want to see whining horseman without their armored mountainbikes.

Have you ever seen a horse IRL? Collision with galloping horse will broke your ribs, or hands, but chance to broke leg is really tiny.

Offline Casimir

• King
  • Renown: 1756
  • Infamy: 271
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • The Dashing Templar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Templar_Casimir
  • IRC nick: Casimir
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 11:43:59 am »
A warhorse is purposefully bred to be bigger and stronger than an average horse, so that its physical impact is more devestatinjg.

If one of those ran into you, im fairly sure teh chance of death or serious injury would be fairly high, and thats without any form of armor to add to their mass.
Turtles