Author Topic: Ban request: Canary of Chaos  (Read 1576 times)

Offline Rusty_Shacklefjord

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro-pain
    • View Profile
  • Faction: One Man Army
  • Game nicks: Erik_Magnusson
Ban request: Canary of Chaos
« on: December 31, 2011, 05:01:52 am »
I just received a global ban for the grievous crime of disagreeing with an admin.

Some players in NA_1 were expressing their feelings regarding the heavy-handed rule of cRPG admins, and I was among them. It's my understanding that 'being offensive' is against server rules, which Canary was happy to remind me of. Apparently, in his opinion, my disagreeable attitude was offensive. I stated that Canary's ban-happy attitude was offensive to me, an opinion that I could have backed up with reasonable arguments if he had been reasonable and provided me the opportunity to do so. For this transgression, I was instantly subjected to a global ban.

My point here being, of course, that 'offensive' is subjective, and that Canary's ignorant and tyrannical administration is both immoral and unjustified. I understand that cRPG is not held to the same standards as the U.S. constitution - but it should be. Suppression of free speech is, again, immoral, and frankly I find it to be very offensive. I'm not really a nice person. I don't feel the need to censor myself in order to pander to idiots like Canary, and for this reason I'm sometimes disliked. That's completely fine. It's his right to dislike me - just as it's my right to be unlikable.

The internet is not a nice place. The world is not a nice place. I wasn't teamwounding. I wasn't committing hate crimes. I wasn't even breaking 'the rules.' All I did was disagree with one power-hungry admin, who couldn't stand the thought that he might be wrong about something. I could write a book about why censorship is wrong, and I might have to if this trend of corrupt and idiotic administration in cRPG keeps up - but for now, I'd like to save us all a little time and just ask that Canary (and any other overly strict admins) be relieved of their positions and subjected to the same sort of unjustified ban that they have subjected so many others to.

tl;dr: banning is wrong, censorship is wrong, fuck the police.
I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Ban request: Canary of Chaos
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2011, 05:49:17 am »
Three Admins were warning people about behavior, and I remember chat being filled with deliberately border-line racist comments like "I'm not racist I just hate jews blacks" or charming things like "STFU" or "Suck my dick" and marvelous things besides that.

You were not banned for disagreeing with an Admin, you were banned for Chat Abuse.

EDIT: Wait now, which in-game name were you? You are one of two people and my next decision weighs in on who you are. Johannes_Liechtenauer, right? Also, should clarify that it was me not Canary who banned you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2011, 06:50:25 am by Tears of Destiny »
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Rusty_Shacklefjord

• Baron
  • Renown: 90
  • Infamy: 61
  • cRPG Player
  • Pro-pain
    • View Profile
  • Faction: One Man Army
  • Game nicks: Erik_Magnusson
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2011, 06:20:50 am »
Yes, I was playing on Johannes.

I was 'rude' and insulting, as I am wont to be. However, while the rules state that 'chat abuse' is not allowed, they also state that calling someone an idiot is allowed. I didn't use the word idiot specifically, but I think the message was clear nonetheless.

I hurt someone's delicate little feelings - but it's more their fault than mine. Admins seem to hold the rules in the highest regard, no matter how ridiculous they are, and the rules agree with me. This is the internet. Banning someone for insulting you is childish and should not be condoned.

I don't really care if you unban me at this point. I've given up on seeing any semblance of justice or fairness in this game. Frankly, I don't give a fuck any more. If the devs want to encourage this admin circle-jerk and push newer players away, so be it. It's their mod to kill. But it's the hostile environment that's causing this to happen, not the players.
I too am not a bit tamed, I too am untranslatable,
I sound my barbaric YAWP over the roofs of the world.

Offline Blackzilla

• Earl
  • Renown: 451
  • Infamy: 108
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FIDLGB(strat/crpg),Dracul(Friends)
  • Game nicks: Blackzilla_FIDLGB, Helios The Shiny
  • IRC nick: Blackzilla
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2011, 06:32:58 am »
I stated that Canary's ban-happy attitude was offensive to me, an opinion that I could have backed up with reasonable arguments if he had been reasonable and provided me the opportunity to do so. For this transgression, I was instantly subjected to a global ban.

My point here being, of course, that 'offensive' is subjective, and that Canary's ignorant and tyrannical administration is both immoral and unjustified. I understand that cRPG is not held to the same standards as the U.S. constitution - but it should be. Suppression of free speech is, again, immoral, and frankly I find it to be very offensive. I'm not really a nice person. I don't feel the need to censor myself in order to pander to idiots like Canary, and for this reason I'm sometimes disliked. That's completely fine. It's his right to dislike me - just as it's my right to be unlikable.

imo Canary is a very lineament admin. Not often do i see him ban someone. Mostly kicks and warnings. You must have be behaving poorly for him to globally ban you
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2011, 06:35:35 am »
I don't really care if you unban me at this point. I've given up on seeing any semblance of justice or fairness in this game. Frankly, I don't give a fuck any more. If the devs want to encourage this admin circle-jerk and push newer players away, so be it. It's their mod to kill. But it's the hostile environment that's causing this to happen, not the players.

As you wish.

This has been your seventh offense:
1 count of Chat Abuse.
3 counts of Leeching.
1 count of Team Wounding.
1 count of Team killing.
1 count of Exploiting.

You are permanently banned.
1000 word Unban essay: Why rules and respecting your fellow players is important.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Canary

• Marshall
  • Renown: 826
  • Infamy: 202
    • View Profile
  • Faction: CHAOS
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2011, 08:11:19 am »
Also, should clarify that it was me not Canary who banned you.

Quoting this for emphasis.

Your spiel about my "tyrannical administration" was wasted, Rusty; I was just trying to warn you (and everyone else) so that you could keep playing without getting removed in the manner that you did. If I had been having less fun at the time, and paying more attention, I would perhaps have realized the rest of what you had been saying earlier. That I didn't notice is perhaps an indication of my lenience as an admin (or more likely my lackadaisical approach to responsibility). Your resistance to authority, however, is apparently historical.

I have faith in the decisions of my fellow admins in this regard. You can complain about us all you want, but it's clear that you are the one who has repeatedly been the problem on the servers.

Also, the rules don't say "chat abuse", that's just the ban label. The rule, technically, is "NO OFFENSIVE BEHAVIOR ANYWHERE". Obviously this is meant to be taken lightly, however you can't expect to say anything you want and get away with it.