Author Topic: Breaking the game rules - does anyone care?  (Read 13506 times)

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
  • Renown: 818
  • Infamy: 85
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • "Bloody peasant archers!"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Head)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tenne; Guard_The_Biscuits; Guard_Bugden; Guard_Tennenuff
  • IRC nick: Tennenoth
Re: Breaking the game rules - does anyone care?
« Reply #75 on: October 14, 2011, 02:17:07 pm »
There's a somewhat easy fix to this autobalance problem and it's been suggested once in the old forums.

Lock banners to respective factions (if there's a way to add more banners in the registry, I don't see the problem. Pubbies can still pick their own banners that aren't being used.), make a clan database where all members are listed and each clan leader adds their members on the main page. Keep everything centralized.

A lot more work, yes. But it would remove the problem(somewhat, the Greys would still exploit or rather, try to control the outcome by selectively choosing which rounds to play by spectating/joining back and forth) and make autobalance's job a lot easier.

Maybe something to be added in the future?

The clan database thing would be easy enough, even I could do that but the real problem, unless WSE is able to address it is to add more banners. (from my understanding anyway or lack therefore of.)
I can't really think of too many drawbacks that would come from this other than the lack of personalisation between different people. I mean, some of the public non clanners quite like different banners and therefore wouldn't be able to mix and match.
On top of that you've got the issues whereby people who play cross-clans, such as the current EU thing happening on wednesdays, if the banners get stopped then people'll have to just deal with it, no collaboration to any extent.

I think that a clan database would be much better, so more or less what was proposed before, a clan tag autobalance rather than a banner balance, i'm sure how easy or effective that is to do, but it's probably a better thing to do in my honest opinion.
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

BullDog Clan member since 31/08/2010 / Caravan Guild member since 03/08/2010

How to understand what I say.
Always finish your tea and biscuits regardless of how terrible they are

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: October 14, 2011, 03:39:55 pm »
+2
Even more simpler solution would be:

Anyone who spends more than 60 seconds in spectators should be autokicked or should go back to x1

Not particularly fair in my opinion, I mean, if you go to get yourself a drink or such like then you'll lose your multiplier or space in the server. I have to say that this will lead to more people joining and just standing around effectively coming under the leeching rule or more people being kicked from the server and losing something that they spent time getting.

There is no call for people being auto-kicked or losing their multiplier for sitting in spectate.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • Renown: 109
  • Infamy: 55
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Grey Order
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #77 on: October 14, 2011, 04:07:14 pm »
+1
bla bla I my self am using HRE banner to bring balance back in the game and also because HRE are not complete asses as grey bla bla bla...

nice to hear that after you did 3 months in the siege milking the greys with their banner... coherence must really be an unknown word for you.

also bring more HRE on siege so we can have a lot more fun... is not a matter of milking x5... we all have shitloads of gold. is a matter of playing in a team with people that organize and don't go around just to see the kill counter grow, while the rest is leeching underwater, teamwounding somewhere, bashing main gates at fourth round with 20 seconds left instead rushing/defending the flag.

so more HRE, more greys, more druhzina, more any clan willing to play, to see a better organization on siege. i would like that.

but again mordhau... stop kicking the cow you milked since you joined crpg.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 04:09:17 pm by Corrado_Decimo »

Offline Dalhi

• Earl
  • Renown: 415
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Dalhi
« Reply #78 on: October 14, 2011, 04:21:21 pm »
There is no call for people being auto-kicked or losing their multiplier for sitting in spectate.

As you're talking about spectating, I was playing on siege server about half an hour ago, two of the admins were kicking specs, server wasn't full (about 55 players) wasn't passworded so new players could still join. While I was playing they kicked about 5-6 players (including me) for spectating, saying that if you're afk you can't go spec you have to leave server, seriously? Why the flying hell players can't go spec? Few seconds before round ends I just switched for a spectator mode, I went for a smoke, it took me about 4-5 minutes, when I got back, guess what I saw "You were kicked from the server". It has nothing to do with any kind of exploiting/leeching ot anything like that, you can't kick specs unless there is particular reason for doing it (look at first sentence).
It's pretty much what I did (and I guess all the others that were kicked/warned for spectating).  :rolleyes:
There is no server rule saying that you can't go spec, to be more specific there is rule :"NOT OK: Standing around away from keyboard.If you're away, switch to spectator mode". It's fine that you were kicking/banning whose who break the rules, but you can't make your own rules.
I don't want to start any flame war or something like that, just as you asked I'm posting it on the forum.

PS also muting the players for asking the questions that you don't know how to respond isn't cool  :rolleyes: (I'm not talking about few retarded comments that their autors deserved a mute)
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 04:31:44 pm by Dalhi »

Offline MaHuD

• Knight
  • Renown: 32
  • Infamy: 13
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Vanguard
  • Game nicks: MaHuD, Darth_InVader, Hired_Blade, Hinzerhaus
  • IRC nick: MaHuD
« Reply #79 on: October 14, 2011, 04:23:54 pm »

Anyone who spends more than 60 seconds in spectators should be autokicked or should go back to x1
Hm, not after 60 seconds thats too few. 7 minutes make you loose 1x ?
That sounds better to me, and should provide plenty of time to pay a visit to the bathroom, eat or drink something or phone someone w/e.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #80 on: October 14, 2011, 04:29:08 pm »
+1
Thats our clan rule. Each first round play in atack [siege or battle]. I don't see in this point nothing wrong.
+1

I could swear your clanrule is exploit whatever is exploitable.

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2011, 04:33:32 pm »

What about following rule:
Everytime you join Spectator you lose 1 multiplier.
If you got x5 when you joined spec you got x4 if you rejoin.
It would stop the abuse for sure and is ok for those who a really using spectator the way they want to.

Offline Bjord

• Amateur heretic
  • King
  • Renown: 1328
  • Infamy: 1109
  • salty turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2011, 04:40:34 pm »
I think that a clan database would be much better, so more or less what was proposed before, a clan tag autobalance rather than a banner balance, i'm sure how easy or effective that is to do, but it's probably a better thing to do in my honest opinion.

Or balance by the sole fact that the player is listed under an official clan in this hypothetical clan database.

And anyone would be free to start a clan, but there could be some drawbacks such as trolling and the likes. So add a fee, say 10-20k. Completely reasonable.

Then I don't know about the banner part or have any particularly logically clear suggestions, but one would be that you have a clan config panel, where you upload banners and update your clan info. Because I'm imagining sort of like what we have in Faction Halls for each clan thread. Similar but not quite like it, more a personal page space for clans in cRPG. You would be able to do some nice presentations and it would benefit the community a lot in the long run. Just a small thing like that, would do wonders.
From this page you handle everything not Strategus, but still clan business. Maybe you could even have a clan account, where anyone in the clan can donate into it for the clan to use as they like. Buy heirlooms for their members, weapons, armours, loaning etc. I don't see any negativity beside the fact that this will make it easier to get heirlooms without retiring. But in my opinion, the price does not outweigh the benefits = better community and better clan cohesion.

Anyway, when it all boils down; this is going to require a lot of coding. (Or maybe not, who knows)
Usually there are never really simple solutions, otherwise a lot of problems we consider small would have been remedied ages ago. SUCH AS LADDERS IN BATTLE AND POLE STUN.
When you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back.

Offline Christo

• Dramaturge
  • King
  • Renown: 1844
  • Infamy: 371
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: No faction, methinks.
  • Game nicks: Sir_Christo, Christo, Cristo.
  • IRC nick: Christo
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2011, 04:40:43 pm »
I could swear your clanrule is exploit whatever is exploitable.

I lol'd.

Thanks to cmpxchg8b for the picture!

Offline Mala

• Earl
  • Renown: 412
  • Infamy: 61
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2011, 05:11:01 pm »
Well, glass house and stones and so.

Offline Crob28

• Count
  • Renown: 247
  • Infamy: 31
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2011, 05:25:16 pm »
I play siege all the time, probably a bit more than battle as I dont like to play battle until my level is into the late 20's at least and I agree that it can be very frustrating fighting against a stacked team round after round with little prospect of victory, even more so when a new round begins and the players who have been switched to your side disappear from the team, especially as they are ususually better than most normal players and could have been damn useful...

On the other hand I wouldn't complain too much if I was benefitting from hours of x5 myself and I can't honestly blame people for wanting to fight alongside their friends/clanmates, thats sorta the point of being in a clan in the first place, and while I personally would (and have when my old clan SoA had a few nights of siege dominance) enjoy the chance to get a few kills against my mates and laugh over TS thats not the way everybody rolls, and fighting together all the time is the best practise for strat after all.

In the end, I refuse to switch banners to let me also benefit from this as then I would just be supporting the "problem" that sometimes bothers me so much.  Not only that but fighting good players in an organised group has done wonders for my skills and awareness.  Plus whilst it is harder to win against such a team, the occasions where the "disadvantaged" team comes together and actually wins the round it just makes the win even sweeter  :twisted:

Offline Tennenoth

• Marshall
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2011, 06:00:33 pm »
Or balance by the sole fact that the player is listed under an official clan in this hypothetical clan database.

And anyone would be free to start a clan, but there could be some drawbacks such as trolling and the likes. So add a fee, say 10-20k. Completely reasonable.

Then I don't know about the banner part or have any particularly logically clear suggestions, but one would be that you have a clan config panel, where you upload banners and update your clan info. Because I'm imagining sort of like what we have in Faction Halls for each clan thread. Similar but not quite like it, more a personal page space for clans in cRPG. You would be able to do some nice presentations and it would benefit the community a lot in the long run. Just a small thing like that, would do wonders.
From this page you handle everything not Strategus, but still clan business. Maybe you could even have a clan account, where anyone in the clan can donate into it for the clan to use as they like. Buy heirlooms for their members, weapons, armours, loaning etc. I don't see any negativity beside the fact that this will make it easier to get heirlooms without retiring. But in my opinion, the price does not outweigh the benefits = better community and better clan cohesion.

Anyway, when it all boils down; this is going to require a lot of coding. (Or maybe not, who knows)
Usually there are never really simple solutions, otherwise a lot of problems we consider small would have been remedied ages ago. SUCH AS LADDERS IN BATTLE AND POLE STUN.

Heh, I smooshed two ideas I had into one instead of seperate, yes what I did mean was to have a player database that people were on OR have it go by clan tag.
Your additions to this would make sense, especially the price to actually start a guild.

EDIT: With regards to the "a lot of coding" it depends on what really needs to be added, what you allow people to do and most coders have a nice library that they can pull up stuff from. I mean, the gang probably have some quick stuff that they can just throw in there. I'm all for making things a lot faster (I run one macro on computer start up to run, Itunes, Mozilla Firefox (which then opens IRC) and teamspeak, moving me to correct the channel instantly!) So I would fully support, the clan database suggestion.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 06:04:52 pm by Tennenoth »

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Corrado_the_Grey, Bodyguard_the_Grey, Sniper_IV_the_Grey, Ston3rh, Hopleet
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2011, 06:01:15 pm »
+1
Apart from sounding like a griefer, bringing up personal dirt, denying that there is any problem and covering it all up about rich-kid talk, what is your contribution to this thread?

i'm not covering anything. i only aware people that you're one of the many that gained tons of xp/money just by sitting on the server with the "banner of the moment" (HRE/Grey/whatever) and just babbling about moralism/banner balance a minute after, sitting on your already gained generations and gold this way.

after that, if you think you have enough coherence to keep whining about something you abused until a week ago, feel free to do so... but i don't know how many will take you seriously.

Offline Corrado_Decimo

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2011, 06:05:49 pm »
As you're talking about spectating, I was playing on siege server about half an hour ago, two of the admins were kicking specs, server wasn't full (about 55 players) wasn't passworded so new players could still join. While I was playing they kicked about 5-6 players (including me) for spectating, saying that if you're afk you can't go spec you have to leave server, seriously? Why the flying hell players can't go spec? Few seconds before round ends I just switched for a spectator mode, I went for a smoke, it took me about 4-5 minutes, when I got back, guess what I saw "You were kicked from the server". It has nothing to do with any kind of exploiting/leeching ot anything like that, you can't kick specs unless there is particular reason for doing it (look at first sentence).
It's pretty much what I did (and I guess all the others that were kicked/warned for spectating).  :rolleyes:
There is no server rule saying that you can't go spec, to be more specific there is rule :"NOT OK: Standing around away from keyboard.If you're away, switch to spectator mode". It's fine that you were kicking/banning whose who break the rules, but you can't make your own rules.
I don't want to start any flame war or something like that, just as you asked I'm posting it on the forum.

PS also muting the players for asking the questions that you don't know how to respond isn't cool  :rolleyes: (I'm not talking about few retarded comments that their autors deserved a mute)

i just checked the rules... there is no "NOT OK: sitting in spectator" so it's clearly admin abuse, since the server was neither full or locked by automatic password.

Here's a medal for you! Now, if you have something to say to me, use PM or open a new thread but keep this thread clear of such crap please!

i don't have nothing to say to you. i could say the same... if you have some personal issue with the grey order, PM harpag or whatever you feel like. But if you vomit BS upon an entire clan about something, at least be sure you're clean about that.

i'm not defending anyone, i can't just really stand who whines about something he abused till now.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2011, 06:11:07 pm by Corrado_Decimo »

Offline Blondin

• Baron
  • Renown: 121
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • aka Blondie
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Blondin, Tuco, Sentenza
  • IRC nick: Blondin
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2011, 06:09:34 pm »
Abooze!