Author Topic: Ghosters  (Read 1959 times)

Offline dodnet

• Duke
  • Renown: 595
  • Infamy: 149
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Wolpertinger
  • Game nicks: DoD, DoD_Wolper
Re: Ghosters
« Reply #15 on: July 30, 2011, 12:13:04 am »
How is this a solution to ghosting? Unless you are extremely picky in who you choose to allow in, which is to say that someone would have to accept spectators individually, the people who planned to ghost-intel will now just plan to be a "reporter' to the exact same effect.

You could just watch the livestream to see what the other team does. How does that help? There will always be some ways to spy.
The logic of war seems to be that if a belligerent can fight he will fight.

(click to show/hide)

Offline Ylca

• Count
  • Renown: 183
  • Infamy: 68
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: LLJK
  • Game nicks: YlcaTheTerrible, YlcaTheJuggler
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2011, 12:25:07 am »
+1
You could just watch the livestream to see what the other team does. How does that help? There will always be some ways to spy.

Well yeah that's kind of my point. We don't want to implement a DRM style solution that hurts the people who just want to spectate as much as spies as it will function much like DRM. Spies will still be spying (i.e. pirates get games before legit consumers) except with some of the ideas honest spectators would have to jump through hoops or not be allowed in at all (similar to paying customers getting hit by DRM harder than pirates ever will).

Spiers gonna spy, they will find a way, whatever solution intended to prevent ghosting needs to keep in mind that we're trying to limit the effectiveness of ghosting, not push all spectators out of matches (at least i think, maybe spectators are unwelcome).

Offline Diomedes

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
  • Cat
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Sootnik_Diomedes
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2011, 02:34:53 am »
Perhaps restrict any dead players to spectating only teammates.  It won't solve the problem but it seems to be a good mitigating step.

Though, even if we want it I don't know if such a thing could be coded  :?

Offline Elerion

• Baron
  • Renown: 132
  • Infamy: 8
  • cRPG Player
  • Pink Team
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Elerion
  • IRC nick: Elerion
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2011, 02:41:00 am »
Spiers gonna spy, they will find a way
^

Offline CtrlAltDe1337

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 17
  • cRPG Player
  • Victoria aut mors
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS / Northern Empire
  • Game nicks: Kataphraktos, Muffins, CtrlAltDelete, Haleth
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2011, 03:20:37 am »
Step to take to remove ghosting: Restrict spectating to only teammate's view.  This prevents people from panning the camera around, and is what we always used for scrims in native.

Quote from: IRC
<abearirl>crtlaltdel shut up | you are the worst | sperglord | i hate you so much | if i could ban goatee or ban you | i'd ban you
<Wylker|work>man if i was locked in a bunker with einstein, stalin, and CtrlAltDelete and had a gun with only 2 bullets | I'd shoot CtrlAltDelete twice