Poll

Do you want to see Recurved Composite Bow in cRPG ?

Yes,with some adjustments..
32 (71.1%)
No,and i wrote it down..
13 (28.9%)

Total Members Voted: 45

Author Topic: New Bow: Recurved Composite Bow  (Read 8034 times)

Offline Marshal_Nemesis

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • ..even the wise can not see all ends..
    • View Profile
New Bow: Recurved Composite Bow
« on: March 19, 2011, 02:37:16 pm »
Recurved Composite Bow : aka Ottoman - Turkish Bow..
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Recurved Composite Bow
weight 1.25
requirement 5
spd rtng 49
shoot speed 56
thrust damage 31 cut
accuracy 95

Gold: 14.490

Hundreds of years ago, the mounted archers of Ottoman Turkey rode to battle with their famous composite bows made of horn, wood and sinew, proving unstoppable for armies of the Byzantine Empire and southern Europe. This powerful weapon of war later developed into the famous flight bow of phenomenal cast, equalled only by modern bows made of space age materials.

The author explores the origin, the function and the performance of the bows, based on his many years' experience in making accurate replicas, on original sources and on his research on surviving original artifacts. Written for readers interested in the ancient technology, the book provides detailed instructions about manufacture and construction, including methods of decoration. It is not aimed at a casual reader or a beginning bowyer, but at experienced archers and craftsmen who are already familiar with the mechanics and the terminology. The Ottoman bows, renowned for great power and beautiful finish, are thought by many to be the pinnacle of perfection in the art of ancient bow making.

A video about Recurved Composite Bow:
http://www.onlinefootage.tv/video/show/id/6152

The Ottoman fighting bow emerged in Europe from a long eastern tradition of using high velocity projectiles to hunt and fight on horseback. The author compares its performance (favourably) with the longbow and explains how the tactics employed with this singular artefact accounted for Ottoman success in battle.

Bows of composite construction, made of wood, horn and sinew, have been known in Asia for thousands of years. Among many other types, the Ottoman Turkish bow has attracted the most attention in the western world. According to Turkish sources (Yucel 1997), Tozkoparan Iskender and Bursali Suca in the early 1500s used this bow to achieve a range of 930 yards (1yd = 0.91m). In 1798, a record shot by Sultan Selim was recorded to a distance of 972yd (Klopsteg 2005). The Ottoman bows were the most important weapon of war, particularly for Turkish horse archers and remained the preferred weapon long after the introduction of firearms (Celebi 1991).

Little information exists, however, about the effectiveness of Turkish bows in combat. Hansard wrote about the penetration of a metal helmet, made to withstand pistol shots, with two holes and the head (Hansard 1841). Shots through 2 inches (1in = 2.54cm) of metal, as well as through a 0.5 in plank at 100yd, have been recorded (Klopsteg 2005). A wooden mannequin clad in chain mail was completely penetrated (Ozveri pers. comm.). Data about the mechanical efficiency and performance of the bows have been published elsewhere (Karpowicz 2005). The purpose of this article is to assess the effectiveness of the weapon, through a consideration of the actual draw weight, i.e. the force required to pull the bowstring to the full length of an arrow. The results will allow a realistic assessment of the effective striking distance, together with the arrow's penetration. This in turn will help us to better understand the battle tactics of the Ottomans in conquering other countries during their period of expansion. The research on Turkish archery is also relevant to the use of bows in other areas of the world, either on a horse or on foot, and will help to shed light on the bow's effectiveness in warfare.

One of the last bowyer:
(click to show/hide)

Construction and use

The Ottoman bow has several distinct sections: a centrally located grip of bulbous shape (kabza), two bending sections (sal) attached to the grip, two non-bending sections (kasan) with a ridge along the centre and two tip sections (bas) with notches for the bowstring (nocks). The bows represent the typical composite construction (Figure 1). A wooden core lamination runs through the entire bow. Horn strips are attached to the side of the bow facing the archer with the exception of the tips. A layer of sinew is attached to the opposite side up to the transition between the tips and the rigid sections. The horn-faced side is made round, the sinew-faced side is usually flat n the sal sections. Without the bowstring, the limbs have a pronounced reflex curvature. In a strung bow, only the bending sections are flexed. The rigid kasan sections retain their curvature, giving the bow the familiar 'Cupid' shape (Figures 2 and 3).

The archery collection of the Topkapi Palace Museum in Istanbul contains several hundred Turkish bows, dated from the fourteenth to the nineteenth centuries, as well as many bows of Persian, Crimean-Tartar and Arab origin. It is without doubt the largest collection of Ottoman archery equipment in the world (Yucel 1998). All the bows are very similar in appearance, with a maximum difference in length of about 25cm. Bows used by infantry were longer, other types, including war bows used on horseback (tirkes), target (puta) and flight bows (menzil) were of similar length (Yucel 1998). Generally, the length of bow was selected individually, depending on the archer's length of draw. Nevertheless, the war arrows' length varied from 25 to 29in, excluding the arrow point (Yucel 1998). The draw length of 28in was typical in archery shooting for distance, where a shorter, 24.5in arrow was drawn within a groove (siper) attached to the archers hand for an additional 3in. The 28in draw was chosen here as the most common length of draw.

A guy from talewords created this:
(click to show/hide)

What do you say my friends..First i will take your advice than create a poll if need be.. :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 02:43:36 pm by Marshal_Nemesis »

Offline Dravic

• Knight
  • Renown: 78
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Not playing
  • Game nicks: Not playing
  • IRC nick: Most likely Dravic
Re: New Bow: Recurved Composite Bow
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 02:39:02 pm »
Its almost Khergit bow. + AFAIK this bow was meant to be for Horse Archers, too. And remember, that 5 PD is highest PD wise horse archer can get.

Offline Marshal_Nemesis

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 02:44:16 pm »
i changed pd ratio.. khergit bow and this has nothing in common maybe shape :)

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2011, 02:51:03 pm »
This should be pretty much same or better as longbow. For historical accuracy of course.
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.

Offline GMester

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 10:47:28 pm »
As a Hungarian my ancestors used the same type of bow, and i would be happy to have one myself.
I support this, the stats are fine for me, maybe accuracy same as longbow or better and the 5 pd is also good
 these bows needed some strenght to use, but because of crpg limitations (like the level cap and wpf cap) it is
impossible for a horse archer to go for pd6 or above if he wants to be accurate too.

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 11:34:08 pm »
No, I see this as being a wee bit too unbalanced. There would be little point in getting a strongbow or warbow with this in shop. I also do not look forward to seeing horse archers use this, nor seeing what a triple heirloomed version can do. This might tip the balance of range too much.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Mullerian

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 11:36:56 pm »
No, I see this as being a wee bit too unbalanced. There would be little point in getting a strongbow or warbow with this in shop. I also do not look forward to seeing horse archers use this, nor seeing what a triple heirloomed version can do. This might tip the balance of range too much.

Im not entirely sure you are right, look at the speed rating. Its 1 better than the longbow which is pretty abysmal on the speed side. As for the bow itself, it seems like an improved version of the longbow with higer speed rating, higher shot speed, higher damage and lower requirement.

Edit: Id personally rather have the longbow buffed than add another bow that fills pretty much the same niche of slow and powerful.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2011, 11:38:07 pm by Mullerian »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2011, 11:40:35 pm »
Having a requirement one less then the long bow and warbow means you can afford to have comparable/superior damage with significantly less str.

Already being 5 means you will have 3 more agil and thus 1 more weapon master. The higher damage means you effectively have a stronger PD for free as well, as any archer with PD 5 or 6 would have to be a lunatic to not use this for mid range shooting.

My main probem is that I do not see the point of using a warbow instead of this weapon, and that for PD 5 you can dominate mid-range shooting iby using this instead of the strongbow.

And honestly, eveyr horse archer will use this.
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline sF_Zorro

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 11
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: RoyalKnight
  • Game nicks: RoyalKnight_Bastard_Bernhard
  • IRC nick: Zorro
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2011, 12:31:24 am »
accepted with 26 cut

Offline Marshal_Nemesis

• Peasant
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 12:56:55 am »
Hmm lets make it 6 pd than.. it is obviously best bow for horse archers..but the set back is ..14k price.. the most expensive one.. maybe we can do this like 16k .. what do you say?

Offline Bobthehero

• Duke
  • Renown: 515
  • Infamy: 195
  • cRPG Player
  • Grandmaster Ultimate God Of Swashbucklin'
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bridgeburners
  • Game nicks: Bobthehero_Whals and I am totally not all the Not_Bobthehero alts ever.
  • IRC nick: Buff Swashbuckling
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2011, 01:07:29 am »
You dont balance stuff with higher cost its already been mentionned many many many times.
The Narwhals, dedicated swashbuckler part of FCC

Stabbing is my speciality and one hitting people, my art

Offline Mullerian

• Peasant
  • Renown: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2011, 01:10:31 am »
Hmm lets make it 6 pd than.. it is obviously best bow for horse archers..but the set back is ..14k price.. the most expensive one.. maybe we can do this like 16k .. what do you say?

Personally as an archer i havent really been limited by money, im halfway between 30 and 31 now and i made 90k this generation. So adding some to the price is really not balancing it, its just a "token" drawback.

Offline EliteDragon

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Eastern Tsardom (RIP)
  • Game nicks: EliteDragon
  • IRC nick: EliteDragon
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2011, 01:24:23 am »
Make it have similar stats to the Khergit Bow but maybe it can have 1-2 more cut damage. This allows HA to have a weapon that they can at least battle ground archers with.

Offline Siiem

• Heretic
  • Duke
  • Renown: 611
  • Infamy: 129
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2011, 02:54:03 am »
Make it have similar stats to the Khergit Bow but maybe it can have 1-2 more cut damage. This allows HA to have a weapon that they can at least battle ground archers with.

nah it should have the same stats as a khergit so that people pick it for the flavour.

Offline Safavid

• Peasant
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • "The Sultan's own...Sipahi of The Sublime Porte"
    • View Profile
    • The Islamic Union
  • Faction: The Turks (Kapikulu)
  • Game nicks: Kapikulu_Safavid
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2011, 04:37:54 am »
Yes!  I have been waiting for this bow as a HA 5 Horse Archer.  I currently use the Khergit with Long Iron Mace (Persian/Ottoman).  If it could be like the Long Bow on horseback, I would love it with HA 5 stats.
"Nasrun minallahi ve fethun garib. Ve bessiril Muminin!"

Other forum members should not be able to mute somebody by + or -.  That is the worst policy ever seen on a forum.  Look at me...muted due to biggotry for years!