Author Topic: Performance problem after patch  (Read 5053 times)

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • Renown: 372
  • Infamy: 155
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Great Khans
  • Game nicks: GK_Chagan_Arslan
Performance problem after patch
« on: April 30, 2011, 07:51:15 pm »
After new patch, i started to get freezes (every couple of seconds for about 2-3 seconds) and crashes, never had those before the patch.. I went on native to see if its maybe my PC but game went smooth there

- one of the crashes was due to missing lammelar_armor_c.dds(if i remember correctly) file, the other happens after map change and pops up a window with some info about c++
- freezes starts right after i alt+tab and come back to game, and whitout me using alt+tab after some time

am i alone with this problem or is it known bug and will be dealt with in the fix ? as it makes the game quite unplayable ;/

Offline Berplars

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Berplars
Re: Performance problem after patch
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 08:15:43 pm »
I´m also getting freezes, sometimes they disappear when i alt-tab out, sometimes i have to restart the game completly.
I never get any messages why it freezes, but i also noticed that those freezing moments reduce when i turn the graphics down.

Also i have experienced those kind of freezes in Singleplayermode with the armysizer and like 1000 troops at once on the field.
but i don´t have any solution.

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2011, 02:00:19 pm »
switching from dx9 to dx7 in m&b configurations seems to help a bit, solves problem with freezes. i had only once those freezes on dx7 and also i had one crash after opening the log and when i hit the "return" button

visitors can't see pics , please register or login

so outside of shitty graphics of dx7 it seems to help till the dev team can fix it hopefully

Offline Opium.dk

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen Of Fenada
  • Game nicks: Opiumdk
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2011, 03:10:51 pm »
I've been getting frequent freeze too, the game stops and loops the same 2 images and the sound, alt-tab occasionally fixes it.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Delusianne

• Peasant
  • Renown: 8
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Wolves_Delusianne, Delu, Delusianne, Crux
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 12:56:53 am »
+1
The error message for the problem pictured above already gives u a hint. The fix is quite easy.
You only have to install/ update ur Installation of the Microsoft Visual C++runtime.

There are various versions around, not sure which Warband uses but if you install the most recent of the say last 4 versions u should be all set. I guess it might be 2005, so you should start from there and go all the way up to be save.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=200B2FD9-AE1A-4A14-984D-389C36F85647  (32 Bit)

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?FamilyID=EB4EBE2D-33C0-4A47-9DD4-B9A6D7BD44DA  (64 Bit)

Also keep in mind if u use a 32 Bit Windows or it's 64 Bit Edition (in the latter case it might be good to install both the 32 and the 64 Bit runtimes).

Somehow the patch increased chances of this happening (above pictured error messages), not sure how the details are, maybe somehow some scripts which haven't been used before, no idea really how that works but a friend of mine hadn't installed up to date Visual C++ runtimes, but could play perfectly fine before anyhow till the new patch came out, so I instructed him to install like the last 3 or 4 Versions and afterwards it all went back working as it should.

For the other issues, freezes and slowdowns, really some details on ur guys systems would be needed to look any further into it, otherwise it could be caused by quite a lot, (outdated drivers, overheating, buggy drivers which randomly changes power states while u play, power management features, /USERVA and so on)

One more thing, alt+tab or the steam overlay (with chat windows, or webbrowser running or nothing at all just sitting there but switching back an forth) doesn't do well with Nvidia cards/ drivers for some reason up to the latest nvidia driver I for one can reproduce a lot of issues and crash or get visual artifacts which look like ur card is overheating/ failing, if I alt-tab or use the steam overlay in the wrong moment, - mostly map changes/ loading screens.

On ATI cards I know of problems if the option "load textures on demand" is not set, which might have been solved with newer drivers.

One more detail, Warband, even tho it clearly is no "Crysis" with it's Engine (tho it isn't as bad as some ppl make out it's visuals to be) is quite heavy on the RAM usage, on my System it easily eats up around 1 GB of System RAM (whereas the video cards RAM, I got 1 GB doesn't seem to influence anything in the game) right after I started the game (cRPG module) and am just sitting in the menu, on some maps it can easily end up at around of 1,5 GB RAM (which already can be a cause of problems for 32 Bit Windows Editions), while it still isn't that much nowadays if you think of 3-8 GB of System RAM it can strain some systems quite a lot, somehow the way the engine/ game mechanics handle stuff doesn't seem to be that effective/ optimized. Would be interesting to see if that has changed at all in it's newest incarnation (With fire and sword).
« Last Edit: May 04, 2011, 01:22:41 am by Delusianne »

Offline Kafein

• King
  • Renown: 2203
  • Infamy: 808
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2011, 01:54:09 am »
I think this has more chances to happen with the new armors added, using up more RAM than before. Maybe we could release some kind of lightweight cRPG with less retexturing.

Offline Opium.dk

• Knight
  • Renown: 53
  • Infamy: 29
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen Of Fenada
  • Game nicks: Opiumdk
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2011, 08:56:41 am »
For the other issues, freezes and slowdowns, really some details on ur guys systems would be needed to look any further into it, otherwise it could be caused by quite a lot, (outdated drivers, overheating, buggy drivers which randomly changes power states while u play, power management features, /USERVA and so on)

My system can easily handle this game, i have the latest driver, im not overheating.

Alt-tab fixes the freeze but at one point or another it comes back.
(click to show/hide)

Offline Delro

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Taking Arrows To The Face Since 2008
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Delro_ATS
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2011, 01:00:21 am »
+1 to you Delu for the suggestion, I'm going to try updating my C++ when I get home from work tonight and see if that helps. Currently I'm just using the DX7 fix, which is so ugly it makes the game nigh-unplayable :P

EDIT: Clean installed C++ redist, and was able to play for an hour with DX9 and full settings enabled. Seems to have worked - THANKS!!!
« Last Edit: May 06, 2011, 03:21:52 pm by Delro »

Offline cerkosan

• Knight
  • Renown: 52
  • Infamy: 6
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Cerkosan, Meco, Bucko, Maksbaba, A_je_to_Mat, Peter_von_Krems
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2011, 09:53:16 pm »
It doesnt help here  :cry:
Whole two weeks trying/changing setting/reinstalling and no luck. It must be crpg update problem from last pach as other mods work fine...

EDIT: I dont know why for some works normal?!? or are everyone having these problems? Using Win7/32 and ATI 5850. Perhaps is it that ATI & MB problem which mentioned in first versiones of MB Warband.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2011, 09:29:53 pm by cerkosan »

Offline Norion

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 12:13:40 am »
unfortunately did not work here either.....thanks for the suggestion anyway

Offline TommyHu

• Noble
  • Renown: 14
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 12:31:30 am »
My system can easily handle this game, i have the latest driver, im not overheating.

Alt-tab fixes the freeze but at one point or another it comes back.
I'm getting the same thing. Google searching it...and it seems to be a pretty common thing after patches for different games. Possible memory leak from faulty coding?

Offline Norion

• Peasant
  • Renown: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 08, 2011, 01:22:52 am »
I tried to tick the "load textures on demand" and it seems it solved for me, I am playing for 4 hours now and not a single crash.

So thank you Delusianne for the hint.

Offline Juunasson

• Knight
  • Renown: 34
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • Munin
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: Nord_Munin
  • IRC nick: Munin
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2011, 05:19:40 pm »
I have had "load texture on demand" option selected since I installed M&B:WB, and cRPG keeps freezing every 30 min or so. I'm an ATI card owner. It's a bit hard to enjoy this great mod because I can never know when the screen freezes next time, but let's see and wait.   

Nevertheless, thank you for the tips.

Could someone specify what this "load textures on demand" actually means?
The ravens flying from Odin's shoulders; Huginn seeking hanged men, and Muninn slain bodies

Offline Delro

• Noble
  • Renown: 21
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Taking Arrows To The Face Since 2008
    • View Profile
  • Faction: ATS
  • Game nicks: Delro_ATS
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2011, 05:35:22 pm »
I have had "load texture on demand" option selected since I installed M&B:WB, and cRPG keeps freezing every 30 min or so. I'm an ATI card owner. It's a bit hard to enjoy this great mod because I can never know when the screen freezes next time, but let's see and wait.   

Nevertheless, thank you for the tips.

Could someone specify what this "load textures on demand" actually means?

I could be wrong, but I think it means it doesn't attempt to load textures until they are visible on the screen. So if you never go inside the castle, for instance, it won't try to draw those textures until you do so.

Did you try not only checking/unchecking that, but also

Reinstalling the C++ redistributable (clean install?)
Updating your video card drivers?
Lowering resolution and video settings?
Running in windowed mode?
Running DX7?

Try all of these things one at a time, and see how it goes. Not the most elegant solutions, but one or more of the above may help.

Offline Chagan_Arslan

• Earl
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2011, 05:49:27 pm »
i updated the c++ and could run the game in dx9 whitout any freezes for some time but than it started again, and crashes with the c++ error are still there also
tried windowed mode but it didnt remove crashes
got "load textures on demand" ticked and it doesnt help
got latest drivers for my gfx card

only the change to dx7 seem to help ;/ and it seems this problem only got ATI cards users

i wonder if dev team managed to find what is happening that, someone said it was due to the "new heads" in patch :|