Author Topic: The Worth of a Player  (Read 12856 times)

Offline Gurnisson

• King
  • Renown: 1750
  • Infamy: 362
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen
  • Game nicks: SeaRaider_Gurnisson
Re: The Worth of a Player
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2011, 01:23:42 am »

Oh, and noob cavalry players, if you see a really good cavalry guy on your team get dehorsed (Templar_Tommy) offer him yours, he'll probaly make much better use of it :)

Dare I say that Tommy dehorsed is an even more dangerous player?
I voted Gurnisson cause of his fucking bendy pike, I swear noone can roflcopter stab like he can.

Offline La Makina

• Knight
  • Renown: 26
  • Infamy: 39
  • cRPG Player
  • Dedicated siege tower pusher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2011, 10:50:12 am »
Oh, and noob cavalry players, if you see a really good cavalry guy on your team get dehorsed (Templar_Tommy) offer him yours, he'll probaly make much better use of it :)

Congratulations. You have just passed from Peasant level to Squire level. You are allowed to bring a new horse to your master and to carry the equipment, such as extra arrows, of your fellow soldiers.
Be attentive to whistling, this can be addressed to you since no one knows your name yet.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2011, 02:37:16 pm »
@La Makina
quite funny interpretation of yours, but sadly nothing new to add :(
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline RandomDude

• Earl
  • Renown: 431
  • Infamy: 43
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Knight
  • I play now! but I suck =(
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: RandomDude
  • IRC nick: RandomDude
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2011, 05:41:54 pm »
Being verbose about making team plans, listening to what other people say and then reaching a consensus

Holding out with one plan with 10 other guys while the other 30 of your team do another plan = fail.

Trying your best every round even when the team is horrible to play with

Being able to laugh at stuff that others might rage about

Not trying to get last strike on every single opponent, being conscious of your team mates who may already have let swing the killing blow

People who save my ass!

Offline Armpit_Sweat

• High Lord of the Spam
  • King
  • Renown: 1417
  • Infamy: 154
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Armpit_Sweat, My_horses_name_is_Rebecca
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2011, 08:28:05 pm »
+1
Damn! Used 40 minutes to write a great reply - then realised, that everything i wrote was stupid and irrelevant :(

Here is a funny picture, just so I don't feel like i have totally wasted my time:

(click to show/hide)

visitors can't see pics , please register or login
  Spam at The Temple of Spam

Offline Wallace

• Noble
  • Renown: 13
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: WallaceBRD
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2011, 08:48:21 pm »
+1 for this

One thing I'll add that might seem obvious to some, but few do it

PAN VIEW!!!!!! When you are running around in open field not engaging instead of physically turn around just pan your camera and watch cav think they are getting a free kill. When you do a 180 and chop their head off its worth some good WTFOMGOMGOMWTFHAXHAXHAXHAX

Offline Belhade

• Peasant
  • Renown: 7
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2011, 06:20:49 am »
Since I am a horrible fighter (rarely is my k/d above or anywhere near >1) I try to be valuable to the team in other ways.

Push through the enemy blockade on a siege ladder/ramp. Draw the enemies away from the opening to let your teammates in.

Lure multiple enemies away from a flag defense. Keeping five guys away from a cap by yourself can help.

Turtle the flag. Throw up your shield and scratch your back with the flagpole.

I play on siege most of the time, does it show?

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Ronan PxC
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2011, 08:21:33 am »

PAN VIEW!!!!!! When you are running around in open field not engaging instead of physically turn around just pan your camera and watch cav think they are getting a free kill. When you do a 180 and chop their head off its worth some good WTFOMGOMGOMWTFHAXHAXHAXHAX

Not cool wallace. I like my free kills cause none of those silly bastards ever look behind them... I hate u I hate u! *cry

Offline Camaris

• Count
  • Renown: 223
  • Infamy: 56
    • View Profile
  • Faction: HRE
  • Game nicks: Neresto_HRE
  • IRC nick: Neresto_HRE
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2011, 08:38:07 am »

what do you respect in other players over what has been writen here? What makes a good player? What do you think doesn't belong in this compilation?

Please post and i'll try to modify it if reasonable.

PS: as not native english speaker i don't mind if you correct my english as well ;)

What do i respect in other players? Tbh those rare moments where you can have a duel 1on1 in between the big battle and both respect the other are
things i do like. (even more awesome are those fights if both finish of some other dudes while continuing the duel *g*)  There are players i often fight on duel servers and every time i meet them on siege i know it will be a hard fight. Those players i have fought often
are those i respect the most because i know their style their unique technic and its always a suppirse if they got something new in their repertoire.

Actually to earn my respect i must have fought those people on duel ;)
Its telling you more about your opponent then siege or battle.

PS: And this also includes those people who cant beat me most of the time on duel but try and try like i have to do it with some other guys there.
Every time you fight them again you see how they become better.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2011, 08:48:54 am by Camaris »

Offline Phazey

• Count
  • Renown: 222
  • Infamy: 51
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Mercenaries
  • Game nicks: Merc_Phaz, Merc_Phazh, Merc_Phazhe, Merc_Phazhey and Merc_Phazey
  • IRC nick: Phazh
« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2011, 02:49:17 pm »
•-k/d Alas, you killed one for your teammates who was trying to steal your frag (see below). That is too bad because you were not in need of help for this one.
•0/0 leeching peacefully behind the barn
•0/d someone found you behind the barn.
•k/d where k<d you have encountered a clan, they ganged up at 5 against you in what they consider a fair fight. Welcome to the Valhalla.
•k/d where k=d you had the luck to meet some challenges, maybe a fair 1-to-1 duel and had a chance to shine.
•k/d where k>d you know what is useless and what is worthwhile in the equipment list.
•k/d where k>2*d you know how to wait for the last minute of the round to finish the wounded off. Your team might lose but who cares? Frags only matter when it comes to gain renown.
•k/d where k>3*d you master the art of stealing frags from your teammates. Your longer weaponry and you ability to attack engaged fighters ensure you the top of the scoreboard. Beware: your eagerness might make you killed by the teammate you are trying to rob (see above):
•k/d where k>4(+)*d you have searched and discovered the flaws of the mechanics of the game (armored horse archer pre-patch; PS 11 + barmace; Riding 10 + heirloomed sarranid horse, etc.). The game has probably lost its flavour but nothing is too expensive to grow your e-peen.

:wink:

This gave me a few grins.  :lol:
It's so true though: k/d doesn't say that much. As a pro kill stealer and archer-bumpslasher, i can tell ya. It's easy. The real challenge lies in keeping that x5 going for map after map after map....  :twisted:

Offline Baron_Settmour

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: ISIS_Sterling_Archer, Fallen_Ragnvaldr
  • IRC nick: Varangian
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2011, 02:55:51 pm »
k/d where k>3*d you are good - people like to have you on their team and say so

For me it is more like...

k/d where k>3*d you are good - people like to have you fight on their team but hate that you yell at them when they are standing on the wall shooting arrows as the enemy captures the flag.

Offline kinngrimm

• King
  • Renown: 1026
  • Infamy: 320
    • View Profile
    • The Betrayer of Nations
  • Faction: Wolves of Fenris
  • Game nicks: kinngrimm, Karma
  • IRC nick: kinngrimm
« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2011, 06:07:19 pm »
@RandomDude
added some of your points

@Wallace
added and made new section for tricks

@Belhade
added

@Camaris
i love those moments too, when you are in the mid of battle figthing one opponent to the end without getting disturbed. If he kills me i know i have done my best and it wasn't enough, i can live with that. That others don't get involved i see mostly in the early hours of the day just before the kids get online and you are with those guys left on a server you were anyway playing the whole day. The duel server surly comes a little short in this thread, i will think about it what i can include about duels.

@Baron_Settmour
added slightly enhanced version :)

thanks for contribution lads
learn from the past, live the moment, dream of the future

Offline Spawny

• Count
  • Renown: 152
  • Infamy: 27
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Templar_Spawny
« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2011, 06:33:41 pm »
For shielders:

I'm usually the heavy shielder. High IF combined with decent or heavy armour with a high hp shield (Heavy board).

I'm the guy that goes up the ladder first and soaks up the first 2-3 great maul overheads.

I'm the guy that goes into the gatecontrol room first when there's hordes of enemies with chambered attacks waiting.

I'm the guy who breaks the enemy line by pushing in and causing chaos.

I'm the guy that can defend a gate or flag on his own against multiple enemies and live or buy enough time for reinforcements to arrive.

I'm the guy who can stall enemy advance over the walls and kill one every other swing.

I'm the guy you hide behind when advancing to an archer infested roof.

I usually end up with a 1:1 or 2:1 k:d ratio. When I go hunting for kills specifically I can get 4:1 or higher, but that doesn't help my team as much most of the time.

The problem is even if you are number 1 in NA you are still only number 467 in EU or the worst in AUS(number 17)

Offline Penitent

• King
  • Renown: 1389
  • Infamy: 220
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Penitent_Turtler
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2011, 06:46:24 pm »
Nice guide...but the k/d area should be removed.  K/D has nothing to do with your skill as a team player.

As an archer, I will have very low kills, but more deaths.  It's is hard to get the kill-shot with an arrow sometimes.  But in some rounds I will have done enough damage to kill 8 or 9 players.  Those players are then weakened and more easily dispatched by the rest of the team. 

Also, as a shielder, you can run interference, turtle up, distract enemies, save the flag, ect and not get ANY kills...but help the team a LOT. 

Therefore you can be a great player and have a bad k/d ratio.  This doesn't make you a peasant or a bad player...it means you are sacrificing k/d for the sake of the team.

Offline Keshian

• King
  • Renown: 1176
  • Infamy: 992
  • cRPG Player
  • Diggity diggity
    • View Profile
  • Faction: FCC (Bridgeburner, Unicorn, Cavalieres, Narwhal)
  • Game nicks: Red-haired bitch from hell
  • IRC nick: Bitch, pleasssse.
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2011, 09:43:47 pm »
Being willing to be the first one to die by charging a lame clan playing siege on the battle server so that the rest of your teammates hanging back worried about dying in a video game can use you as a meatshield to get past the sniper xbows and great mauls and rape them once they are forced to actually manual block.
http://keshoxford.com/  - Where middle-eastern meets red-hot and spicy!

"[Strat 5]... war game my ass, tis more like a popularity contest"  Plumbo