Author Topic: Battle Map: Magic Forest  (Read 2102 times)

Offline RipperX

• It is him
  • Earl
  • Renown: 457
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Team Diaperberry
    • View Profile
    • The Official YouTube Channel of Ripper X
Battle Map: Magic Forest
« on: March 23, 2011, 12:06:37 pm »
Hi Guys,

Here is my first attempt at a custom map for Mount & Blade Warband. 

Version 1.1 Update: Greatly reduced objects, trees and bushes that were in excess.
Close to 550 seperate objects were removed for improved FPS on slower computers.

(click to show/hide)
Video Preview of Magic Forest

On the 2 opposite sides of the map are boats in which each team spawns in and around. On the opposite end from that are 2 houses that can be used for strategy or just hiding out. Along the sides of the map are lots of hidden goodies including a Stonehenge covered in flags with the ability for some fierce duels inside it, and on top of it as well. There are some other goodies in and around the map that archers can utilize as well as other classes.  I set the fog with a hint of purple, although it's my understanding with cRPG, the server varies on the weather conditions correct?

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

The video is only a brief run through, but there is a lot I didn't want to show as its more fun finding cool stuff and places on the map. Hope this map works for players, I tested it with 200 bots and it worked fine, but it all depends on your computer, if it is choppy try reducing the graphics settings!

*UPDATE* DOWNLOAD HERE: http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=2698

All the best,
Ripper X
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 10:13:18 am by RipperX »

Offline MrExxc

• Knight
  • Renown: 31
  • Infamy: 7
  • cRPG Player
  • Don't pronounce it "EKsKsSee", just "X"
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Byzantium_Exxc, Poussiere_Supreme
  • IRC nick: Exxc
Re: Battle Map: Magic Forest
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2011, 12:15:19 pm »
Dude, I love it, too bad the fog just doesn't look nice on Warband... I'm loving the latest community maps, get in touch with Leiknir (I think) he would definitly add this one to EU1 rotation.

I'm only worried about the ping or fps some of us might have... :/

You sir, got my vote!

« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 12:19:13 pm by MrExxc »

Offline RipperX

• It is him
  • Earl
  • Renown: 457
  • Infamy: 33
  • cRPG Player
  • Team Diaperberry
    • View Profile
    • The Official YouTube Channel of Ripper X
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2011, 12:23:08 pm »
Thanks man!  Appreciate it, well I'm looking to test it out on a server, and if there's problems with lag or bugs, I can always fix it and reduce the load.  The good news is that the map is pretty small, and I don't have like a siege city or tons and tons of big structures besides the trees and a few houses, so hopefully all the little details won't bog peoples computers down too much.  Guess we will find out soon enough!

Cheers,
Ripper X
« Last Edit: March 23, 2011, 12:38:57 pm by RipperX »

Offline Tears of Destiny

• Naive
  • King
  • Renown: 1847
  • Infamy: 870
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Quiet drifting through shallow waters. 死のび
    • View Profile
    • NADS
  • Faction: Black Company
  • IRC nick: Tears
Re: Battle Map: Magic Forest *Download Now Available*
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 06:11:03 am »
When someone finds this on a server I would love to see it. I really want to fight in it during the night as the soft glows everywhere look great. I also am a fan of fog (even if some guys "turn it off" I still don't care, I enjoy it), and purple is my favorite color ahahaha.  :D
I'm not normal and I don't pretend so, my approach is pretty much a bomb crescendo.
Death is a fun way to pass the time though, several little bullets moving in staccato.
The terror of my reign will live on in infamy, singing when they die like a dead man's symphony.

Offline Kalam

• Duke
  • Renown: 697
  • Infamy: 163
  • cRPG Player Sir White Bishop A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • Never do an enemy a small injury.
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Linebreakers
  • Game nicks: Cavalieres_Midnighter, Dunsparrow
  • IRC nick: Kalam
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 11:52:34 pm »
Just some feedback. It's one of the maps we tested recently, and it slows my frame rates (which I've never seen dip below 70ish until now) to 15-35. I'm going to assume it's the heavy use of particle effects and trees. Thin the trees out a bit, cut it in half, and get rid of most of the lights and it'd be fine.

It'd probably lose its magic, though.

Offline Ronan

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Phoenix Company
  • Game nicks: Ronan PxC
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2011, 02:29:48 am »
Sadly you gotta tone this map down A LOT or remake for the general public... Simple maps are the ones that are excepted by people. General public seems to only do the most basic of combat strategy. They all tend to run toward each other and converge toward one central local. Thats what Ive noticed though and doesnt even matter if its battle or siege (not much anyways, besides the obvious). So even if you map looks like a great map with tons of eye candy and vantage points, most will be neglected for that one "best" spot and all battle will take place there. Just figured Id give you food for thought.

I do like the map. Im all for the creativity you put into it. :)

Offline Baron_Settmour

• Peasant
  • Renown: 5
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen
  • Game nicks: ISIS_Sterling_Archer, Fallen_Ragnvaldr
  • IRC nick: Varangian
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2011, 01:12:22 pm »
Sadly you gotta tone this map down A LOT or remake for the general public... Simple maps are the ones that are excepted by people. General public seems to only do the most basic of combat strategy. They all tend to run toward each other and converge toward one central local. Thats what Ive noticed though and doesnt even matter if its battle or siege (not much anyways, besides the obvious). So even if you map looks like a great map with tons of eye candy and vantage points, most will be neglected for that one "best" spot and all battle will take place there. Just figured Id give you food for thought.

I do like the map. Im all for the creativity you put into it. :)

100% agree. It seems just like a lot of wasted space when everyone will start vying for one area every time.

Offline Zergmar

• Count
  • Renown: 213
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
  • Terrible at everything.
    • View Profile
    • indie game dev, RIP
  • Faction: Hobo
  • Game nicks: SirScumbag
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2011, 03:19:02 pm »