Author Topic: Explanation of Melee Game Mechanics (Long Post)  (Read 16259 times)

Offline Formless

• Baron
  • Renown: 102
  • Infamy: 74
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
Explanation of Melee Game Mechanics (Long Post)
« on: January 25, 2011, 08:55:21 pm »
+7
For awhile now I have been playing 1 hander and no shield and no armour, usually using either the Italian falchion or the Grosse Messer.  As most of you know both of these weapons are short.  Because of the size of these weapons I started to noticed several things about the mechanics behind the game that I thought would be interesting to share. 

Now for a Disclaimer, this will be a long, long post also I am not by any means an expert in the mechanics behind this game, neither am I an expert dueler/fighter that can take out anyone any time or kill whole armies by myself.  There are players out there that are much better then myself , but on the other hand there are players that are very much worse then myself. 

So why should you read this post?  You should read this post because it might clarify for you some of the mistakes you have been making in timing and pacing during fights, that get you killed.  Or these ideas might clarify for you concepts that you have been unconsciously contemplating yourself and bring them to the foreground.  Whatever you do, do not take these words as bible or law as these are merely concepts that I have been thinking about and are still up for review.  Saying all that, these concepts so far have helped me when I remember to use them :)

Let’s start this conversation with discussing the Metaframe of how melee works in the game.  For now lets ignore movement and feinting and just concentrate on two stationary opponents.  The game’s melee mechanics work very much in a turn base way:

Let’s say your opponent is the first to launch an attack, you block.  This is the end of his attack phase and the beginning of yours.  You attack and your opponent blocks.  This is the end of your attack phase.  Opponent attacks and you block, this ends his attack phase and is the beginning of yours.  I am sure by now you get the picture.  But what happens if your opponent chooses to attack again after his attack phase is already over?  Answer, if your opponent chooses to try to hit you after his formal attack phase is over, and swings during your attack phase, you will hit him with your swing since this is your attack phase.  Even if he has greater wpf and a faster weapon he will not be able to outswing you during your attack phase.  Notice, we are still talking about two stationary figures, we will talk more about how to shift this paradigm of his turn, your turn a bit later. 

So now you should understand the basic mechanics behind the game.  Its very much turn base:   Your turn, His turn, Your turn, His turn and so forth.  While this is an important concept that we will return to later, if you have played this game for any amount of time, you know that seeing two perfectly stationary figures fighting without feinting are very, very  rare indeed. :)

To understand the game mechanics in a more complete way, we will let our two stationary fighters add feinting to the mix.  How would that look:

Your opponent attacks, you block.  His attack phase is over and yours has begun.  You feint, feint, attack, opponent blocks.  You attack turn is over and his has begun.  Opponent feints, feints, feints, attacks, you block.  His attack phase is over and yours has begun.  You feint, feint attack, opponent blocks.  Your attack is over and his has begun.  By now I am sure you get the idea.  When you feint you are actually prolonging your attack turn in a synthetic way.  This has its good points and bad points.  Lets talk about them.  When you feint your are trying to do one of two things:

1.)   Get your opponent to misjudge the direction he should be blocking from.
2.)   Goad your opponent to attack during your synthetically extended attack phase.

Number 1 is self explanatory.  We will talk about Number 2 at greater depth:

When you synthetically extend your attack phase, you are on borrowed time.  You cannot indefinably extend your attack phase, as your opponent can judge your feints and attack you midway feint and hit you.  He will be able to hit you while your are feinting in your attack phase because you were synthetically extending your attack turn into his turn.

You can however turn this to your advantage.  When you feint, watch you opponent closely if he gets tired of waiting thru the constant feints and decided to attack you and begins to swing you can simply turn your latest feint into an attack and have a good chance of hitting him before he hits you.  This is one of those instances were a fast weapon and higher wpf will work for you.  This is a maneuver that will not work 100% as it depends on your agility and wpf and the speed of your weapon vs that of the opponent.  This needs to be practiced and is one of the ways of shifting the his turn, your turn paradigm.

Now that we have covered the basic melee paradigm and added feinting to it.  Lets talk about movement. 

This is perhaps the hardest of all game mechanics to explain in words, I hope that I will be able to do it justice.  Movement is perhaps the best way of shifting the turn based paradigm of melee mechanics in this game.  Noticed I said shifting not breaking, you cannot really break the his turn, your turn paradigm, but you can shift it to work for you.

When I was first explaining to you the his turn, your turn paradigm all I talked about is attacking and blocking.  For the sake of simplicity I did not mentioned that during your attack turn you could actually do two things.  You could attack and then make a small move all before your opponents attack phase has begun.  Now the extent of your ability to move after you attacked is directly linked to the agility of your character and the weight he has on him.  The higher the agility and the lower the weight the further your character can move before your opponents attack phase has begun. 

Now let us give our two stationary, feinting opponents the ability to move.     

Opponent attacks, you block.  His attack turn is over and your has begun.  You attack and move slightly back, you opponent blocks.  Your attack turn is over and opponent’s turn has begun.  Opponent attacks, you block.  Your attack turn has begun.  You attack and move slightly back.  Now you are out of your opponents weapons range.  To be able to hit you he takes a large step forward and starts to swing, you attack and he dies.  Now why were you able to attack him during his attack phase?  You were able to attack him because his attack phase was over when he made a large movement forward to get you into range.  When he completed the large movement forward he ended his turn, when he started to attack he was actually attacking during your attack phase, so you were able to outswing him and kill him. 

The above example is very important and when you understand it a whole new world will open up for you. 

Since this post is already very, very long, lets talk about one more fight and how the turn base paradigm works in the context of distance and timing.  Think of two opponents one armed with an Italian Falchion no shield the other armed with a Poleaxe.  Since the guy with the Poleaxe has the much longer weapon he will obviously attack first.  It might look something like this:

Opponent with Poleaxe attacks first, you block.  Opponent moves back slightly.  You move forward and begin your attack phase but the poleaxe swings again and kills you.  Now why was the Poleaxe guy able to swing and hit you during your attack phase?  The Poleaxe guy was able to swing two times in a row without blocking because the size of his weapon in relation to yours meant that during your attack phase you did not actually attack but instead you were forced to move to get him into range.  So when you went to swing after moving you were no longer in your attack phase you were in his.  For a short weapon to fight a much longer weapon, it might be necessary for the shorter weapon wielder to block 2 to 3 times in a row without attacking just to get into range.  Otherwise the short weapon wielder will be violating the turn phase paradigm mechanics of the game and will get hit.

Now I know that the above is allot to cover, but I hoped the above helps people out.  Remember the above is theory in progress that can at any time be revised or totally thrown out, we are all human and apt to make mistakes.  Before I say goodbye, there is one last topic to cover: 

When does the Paradigm described above break down?

I noticed that this paradigm breaks down when there is a huge disparity between two opponents wpf, when there is considerable lag on the server.  During high ping times.  During high fps times.  The better the computer and internet connection the better this paradigm will hold during those times.  Sadly I since I am a broke student all the above happen to me regularly.  :(

If, I noticed a further demand for posts like this I might continue this discussion later.  But for now, you should know the basic paradigm of how the melee game mechanics work in this game.  I hope that you will find this post helpful as you practice fighting. 

Cheer, and many happy battles  :D

Formless.

P.S  Reapy created two great videos for the vanilla M&B Warband that cover some of what I was talking about in this thread:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9jHcZjWw9U  <-- Very good basic tutorial
and
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZZnl09qBKM&feature=related  <--Shows people dying mostly due to timing problems

« Last Edit: February 22, 2011, 04:55:53 pm by Formless »
“Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless - like water. Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup, you put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle, you put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.” - Bruce Lee

Offline LordBerenger

• King
  • Renown: 1492
  • Infamy: 859
  • cRPG Player
  • Jesus is the savior of Earth
    • View Profile
Re: Explanation of Melee Game Mechanics (Long Post)
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2011, 09:07:12 pm »
Interesting reading. I give you 1+ Troll Point. I guess that's a good thing :P
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline IG_Saint

• Count
  • Renown: 196
  • Infamy: 20
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: IG
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2011, 09:14:12 pm »
For a short weapon to fight a much longer weapon, it might be necessary for the shorter weapon wielder to block 2 to 3 times in a row without attacking just to get into range.  Otherwise the short weapon wielder will be violating the turn phase paradigm mechanics of the game and will get hit.

Good post, and the quoted part in particular is the way reason why 1Hs complain about spam, when really they just don't understand the melee mechanics.

Personally I prefer to use the word rhythm rather than turn phase paradigm. One of the easiest ways of winning a fight is just breaking the rhythm of the fight. Start by building up a rhythm by for instance just attacking and blocking, no feints or fancy footwork. After a couple of attack/block exchanges, break the rhythm by taking a step back and attacking right after your attack phase or do a quick feint, bam your opponent is hit and disoriented, move in and surprise him with complicated feints or footwork and the fight will be over in seconds.

Offline Nindur

• Knight
  • Renown: 29
  • Infamy: 5
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northern Empire Rebellion
  • Game nicks: N1nd3r9
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2011, 09:32:32 pm »
You should input your thoughts on chambering, I use a 1h/sheild and I regularly fake a feint into chambers. Discuss!

Offline Torp

• Knight
  • Renown: 66
  • Infamy: 12
  • cRPG Player
  • Do evil to others before they do evil to you
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Fallen Brigade
  • Game nicks: Fallen_Kenkyaku
  • IRC nick: Torp
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2011, 09:47:00 pm »
you forgot the fact, that people can move while attacking.
I do that very often, and that wya, you dont have to use your 'turn' moving.

you didnt write anything about kicks and chamber blocks either, but that doesnt matter, since the post would get much longer and much more complicated

Offline kongxinga

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: The Farmers
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2011, 11:03:25 pm »
Read the whole thing, but in the end, Ping matters the most?

How would a 0 athletics guy fight a say 8 athletics guy without being kited or facehugged?

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2011, 11:15:34 pm »
Read the whole thing, but in the end, Ping matters the most?

It's this way in almost every FPS style pvp game.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Xant

• Finnish Pony
  • King
  • Renown: 1552
  • Infamy: 803
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2011, 11:45:12 pm »
Only up to a certain point, though. 10 ping gives you an fairly big advantage, but as long as you're under 100 ping you can still compensate by being slightly better. 110+ and it becomes "nothing you can do"
Meaning lies as much
in the mind of the reader
as in the Haiku.

Offline Kung Fu Jesus

• Noble
  • Renown: 23
  • Infamy: 2
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 01:27:28 am »
I think the ping excuse is overrated. I see some players dominate with pings over 150+. We're talking milliseconds of difference. If you have packet loss, thats a different matter.
"My belt holds up my pants and my pants have belt loops that hold up the belt. What the fuck’'s really going on down there? Who is the real hero?" - Mitch

Offline Gorath

• Count
  • Renown: 226
  • Infamy: 168
  • cRPG Player
  • Why the hell did I do anything other than ranged?
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Chaos
  • Game nicks: The threat of physical violence should be present in all things
  • IRC nick: Otherwise we get a swarm of faggot children like the majority of the cRPG/Internet population
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2011, 02:11:22 am »
I think the ping excuse is overrated. I see some players dominate with pings over 150+. We're talking milliseconds of difference.
True, but sometimes the higher ping goes in the other way for who it favors depending on attack style and weapon.  If anyone remembers TooSexy with his great bardiche left/right spam and 300+ ping getting mystery hits on people or strange animation delays they can attest to it as well.   :lol:
If you have packet loss, thats a different matter.

Quite right and probably more often than not when people are talking "lag" this is actually what they are experiencing.
And I should be nice or polite to anyone.... why exactly?

Offline Daymun

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2011, 02:19:13 am »
Another important factor that is often overlooked is weapon weight. A person with a heavier weapon than their opponent will 'stun' their opponent after they either block them or they get blocked themselves. This is another reason why the poleaxe user in your example would win.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 02:20:57 am by Daymun »

Offline Meow

• Awesome Consulting Detective
  • King
  • Renown: 1071
  • Infamy: 150
  • cRPG Player A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Fallen Brigade
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2011, 03:40:32 am »
i like it. i read that long infantry primer on the warband forum once and that already helped alot but this breaks the basics down pretty good.
also it might put an end to the myth that just doing right swing over and over again as in spamming is in anyway effective.
if someone outspams you he won the movement game ;)

EDIT: you also get a troll point for it because everyone loves those :mrgreen:

Offline Murmillus_Prime

• Earl
  • Renown: 424
  • Infamy: 181
  • cRPG Player
  • Dying is gay.
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Murmillus_Prime
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2011, 05:17:48 am »
Good post, much of it describes my style of combat with my hafted blade, and I do tend to get most of my dismounted kills with this tactic. I swing at a turtle, he blocks, I swing at turtle again, he blocks, he goes to swing me, see's me about to swing him again and he blocks again, during this whole time im back pedaling, and I have decent athletics and light armour. He gets tired of blocking hits and when he thinks I've overstretched myself (hitting him 3-4 times on his shield nonstop, basically spam), he then procedes to attack me, but in that moment I backpedal and do a horizontal slash at the same time resulting in dead turtle.

Results vary on situation, skill of opponent and how good I am playing at that moment in time. I'm sure many people have died to me this way and get pissed off with me because of it, but it's how I play.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2011, 05:20:17 am by Murmillus_Prime »
Dumbfuck.Fuckwit.Cuntshit.Brickfuck.

Offline Unreal

• Belieber
  • Noble
  • Renown: 17
  • Infamy: 1
  • cRPG Player
  • Immortal
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nord
  • Game nicks: Nord_Unreal / Nord_Surreal
  • IRC nick: [U]nreal
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2011, 05:23:05 am »
nice post + troll point

Offline [ptx]

• King
  • Renown: 1871
  • Infamy: 422
  • cRPG Player Sir White Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
  • such OP. so bundle of sticks. wow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2011, 05:35:56 am »
(click to show/hide)
So, basically, you spam?

Pro-tip on movement: If your opponent has longer or at least long weapon and is constantly moving backwards, staying out of your range, it is often a good idea not to give chase but rather goad the opponent into moving towards you by moving backwards or standing still. Then, when he is almost within attack range, move forward, often accompanying this with a sudden attack. You often get both a free hit and get yourself in range to keep on attacking your opponent.

Also, your attack phase doesn't end after you've attacked. It ends after your opponent blocks. So, if you make a hit, keep hitting.