Author Topic: Battle: Winter City  (Read 1421 times)

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • Renown: 276
  • Infamy: 48
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: KUTT
  • Game nicks: Caita_KUTT, Fellys_KUTT
Battle: Winter City
« on: August 18, 2011, 04:56:20 am »
My second attempt at a c-rpg Battle map. Spawns are by the two gatehouses and 99% of the roofs have barriers on them (so no siege ladder foolishness). Also, the keep has a barrier around it, so no entering the center zone.

Criticism and comments appreciated!

(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)
(click to show/hide)

DL link: http://www.mbrepository.com/file.php?id=3151
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline Digglez

• Duke
  • Renown: 573
  • Infamy: 596
  • cRPG Player
  • YOU INCOMPETENT TOH'PAH!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Northmen
  • Game nicks: GotLander, Hamarr, Digglesan, Black_D34th
Re: Battle: Winter City
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 08:51:04 am »
doesnt appear to have any flow of any sort.  no quick main blvd or skirmishing areas.  Too many narrow alleys and houses

would be helpful if you marked up some of your screenshots with info in paint. how you intend to have it play out, balancing, etc

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 06:31:57 pm »
doesnt appear to have any flow of any sort.  no quick main blvd or skirmishing areas.  Too many narrow alleys and houses

would be helpful if you marked up some of your screenshots with info in paint. how you intend to have it play out, balancing, etc

Thanks for the suggestions!

Here's the overview pic with more info regarding the flow of the map

(click to show/hide)

I wanted to avoid having the map play where the best tactic was a bum rush towards the enemy, which is why there isn't one main route to get to the enemy. Without a little coordination, the team will get split in two. This is largely what the keep is there for. Its a giant roadblock between the two sides to both keep them from shooting each other from the very start, and to separate the map into two halves.

The "Defensive Positions" are just examples for the most part. Its a city so just about anywhere can be used defensively as long as enough coordination is involved, these are just the places that require the least coordination to defend.

For balance, the two sides have very similar defenses and paths to one another. There are slight differences, but in general the map plays very similarly regardless of which side you're on. Bottom Left and Top right are very similar, and Top Left and Bottom Right are very similar.

I also marked alleyways to make them a bit more obvious. Most houses touch one another so there is no way between them. Anywhere between houses that doesn't obviously have a way through and isn't marked in black (or occasionally pink) is impossible to go through. Personally I don't think there are too many alleys, but then again I'm a newb  :P.

As a side note, at the bottom left, you might notice the flanking path seems to go right over the wall, that's one of the only roofs you can get on, which then leads to the wall itself. (stack of firewood to get on the roof, and then a ladder to the wall)

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 01:40:05 pm »
It reminds me a lot of 'Santas Castle' map for some reason, i guess its a lil town inside a wall, snow covered.

It looks a very nice map though, but try to add some terrain it all looks rather....flat, add a few bumps and hills here and there

Offline Zerran

• Count
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 03:22:46 pm »
It reminds me a lot of 'Santas Castle' map for some reason, i guess its a lil town inside a wall, snow covered.

It looks a very nice map though, but try to add some terrain it all looks rather....flat, add a few bumps and hills here and there

This was something I wanted some input on. It was completely flat, but I've now added some ruggedness to the terrain. (Mostly aesthetic to add some realism. The changes are very slight. This is supposed to be a city in the middle of snowy plains after all, not a hill map)

I don't think I've ever played Santa's Castle, what servers does it run on?

Sidenote: I also added paths out of the gateways for aesthetic purposes (The walls can be climbed via numerous stairs, but the gateways are permashut)

Offline SirCymro_Crusader

• King
  • Renown: 1095
  • Infamy: 134
  • cRPG Player Sir Black Rook A Gentleman and a Scholar
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 04:13:20 pm »
Good to hear youve added some terrain, and if you host a server you can probs find the santas caslte map