36 (60%)
No, GREAT idea
9 (15%)
pikes with flag? HARDCODED cant be done
6 (10%)
I am drunk, a kid, drunk kid, dunno
9 (15%)

Total Members Voted: 60

Author Topic: STRICT banner auto-balance and pikes with flags  (Read 4571 times)

Offline Michael

• Don't take me seriously
  • Baron
  • Renown: 118
  • Infamy: 559
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
STRICT banner auto-balance and pikes with flags
« on: January 17, 2011, 01:57:44 pm »
(click to show/hide)

Well, odd but the fun came back by simply being present when on that one village map, a Druzhina mob of 10, 15 players, all with the same banner and the new nice Druzhina armors marched up the right flank, broke the enemys line and crushed the rest. Looked awesome, really epic, was fun.

I have noticed small groups of Searaiders, Roses, and Mercs before, and it always looks so cool when they wear uniforms and stick together as a team, as a small army in the army. 

Unfortunately, there is auto-balance.

I have checked it in the admin panel, auto-balance based on banner seems to be on, but still, when I press tab some Mercs in team a, rest in team b, all the time.

I would like it more when the banner balance was really really strict, that means, to put it very simple, same banner, ALWAYS in the same team.

I am not even in a serious clan, and when its already fun for me to watch, I think its even more fun for those who are in a clan when they can play together with their mates.

Before the patch, this wasnt possible, because the average Merc was 20 levels above the average average player, what would lead to an almost secure victory if all Mercs were in one team.

Now, after the patch, even a casual player can reach level 30 in a few weeks.

Some days ago, I think it was EU2, only a few people, 8 vs 8 or something, and 5 or 6 Mercs in one team, and we knicked them.

So there is no valid argument left against allowing clan-members play together in one team.

Please balance it this way:

Same banner, same team , always.

Balance will work perfectly, like archers feed themselves.
Insecure people/ bad players will fly the banner of clans of a good reputation, and bring them down to an average level. =)

One more thing: Can we have pikes with flags?
When I block right with pike, and march forward, a group of pikemen would already look really cool, but how epic it was when you imagine a group of soldiers, all wearing same uniform and one of them, one guy, one standard-bearer, does a raised right block with a pike, THEIR banner on his pike, like their very own Oriflamme, marching against the enemy. This wouldnt work for Ninjas, lol, but for regular troops, you coward are waiting for the enemy, they are on the other side of the hill in snowy village for example, and the first thing you see is the Druzhina banner, next the Mercs banner, and all you wanna do is run.....................lol epic 
visitors can't see pics , please register or login

Offline foxlockbox

• Beggar
  • Renown: 0
  • Infamy: 0
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
Re: STRICT banner auto-balance and pikes with flags
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2011, 02:11:39 pm »
Anyone could swap to a merc banner and reap the benefits?  :|

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_FICO
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2011, 02:24:35 pm »
you can, but imagine how the rest of players would perceive you?

however, good idea, Michael, but i'd recommend to have pike with and pike without banner available for buying, so you can choose

A fighter is more dangerous, starved, sick, injured, sleep-deprived, drunk and naked than the normal person is well-fed, healthy, whole, rested, cold sober and armed to the teeth

Offline weight

• Peasant
  • Renown: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Basileia ton Romaion
  • Game nicks: Fatty
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2011, 02:37:08 pm »
Anyone could swap to a merc banner and reap the benefits?  :|
Michael answered that already
Insecure people/ bad players will fly the banner of clans of a good reputation, and bring them down to an average level. =)

Offline Michael

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2011, 03:03:06 pm »
however, good idea, Michael, but i'd recommend to have pike with and pike without banner available for buying, so you can choose

Yeah, thats what I thought anyway. =)

Lets say, 5 pikemen of one clan marching together, why would they all want to have their banner in a flag on their pike anyway. Doesnt make sense.

Maybe make it that way that the pike with the flag loses 2 or 3 points in speed and damage. Something like that.

Offline Michael

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2011, 03:11:24 pm »
Michael answered that already

Also, when a bunch of random people, including horrible players such as myself can defeat a Merc bunch, other clans should be able to do that too.

As I said, in a few weeks everyone will have (almost) the same level. When the Merc still can own you, you cant blame it on his higher level any more, then its time to accept that he is the better player (or at least has better internet/ computer/ eyes, you messed up your build, choose wrong tactic/ weapon, whatever).

The argument, Mercs are on top of the scoreboard because they are mindless no life hardcore grinders doesnt work any more.

Offline AdNecrias

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Enuma Elish, Thar the Unready
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2011, 03:15:19 pm »
For once i agree with a Finished post.

Will I bet it'll become unbalanced ( remember the ATS always win whine comming from NA?), but hopefully clans with fight each other properly and the leechers getting mercs' banner will be an noticable handicap.

As of the pike with banner, in mm mod you got those, but i'm not sure if those are heraldic. But heraldics can be applied to shields, so maybe you could even have it take up the shield slot, just so it'd work.

Offline Leiknir

• Baron
  • Renown: 81
  • Infamy: 14
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Nordmen of Fenada / SeaRaiders
  • Game nicks: Leiknir
  • IRC nick: Leiknir
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2011, 03:48:45 pm »
Banner balance works like this:
- People join the server, no balance.
- After the first round, it gets banner balanced. Some unlucky people might end up in the enemy team, but thats rare
- After each other round, normal autobalance is used, sometimes breaking up banner squads
- If you join after the first round, you get placed in a random team

Playing most of the time with my SeaRaider squad its annoying to get balanced away, but its for the greater good.
Some days ago, eu2 was populated by ~ 8 Templars, 8 SeaRaiders and 8 Strangers and 8 randoms. For a strange reason, the team with 2 squads always won. Until one squad got broken up (poor Strangers in this case), and we had a 8-4-4 vs 8-4-4 and more balanced rounds. (numbers not accurate, was some time ago)

Offline FICO

• Noble
  • Renown: 16
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Bandits
  • Game nicks: Bandit_FICO
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2011, 04:34:25 pm »
on pikes: if it's not possible to make them heraldic, the banners on them could be made a pennon in a basic heraldic colors

A fighter is more dangerous, starved, sick, injured, sleep-deprived, drunk and naked than the normal person is well-fed, healthy, whole, rested, cold sober and armed to the teeth

Offline AdNecrias

• Peasant
  • Renown: 6
  • Infamy: 3
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Knights Templar
  • Game nicks: Enuma Elish, Thar the Unready
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2011, 05:19:34 pm »
Follow the red pike!  No, follow the blue pike!

Offline Riddaren

• Duke
  • Renown: 601
  • Infamy: 298
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Burg Krems
  • Game nicks: Riddaren, Matthaus
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2011, 05:26:40 pm »
I totally agree (voted yes).

Offline Tristan

• Count
  • Renown: 200
  • Infamy: 52
  • cRPG Player
  • Listen to wisdom!
    • View Profile
  • Faction: Caravan Guild (Guards)
  • Game nicks: Guard_Tristan
  • IRC nick: Guard_Tristan
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2011, 05:48:05 pm »
I believe a server with strict banner balance and a server without would be the best solution.

Also, as I suggested earlier, a way to limit banners to clans.
He is despised and rejected of men; a man of sorrows, and acquainted with grief. He was oppressed, and he was afflicted, yet he opened his mouth.

Offline Michael

• Baron
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2011, 06:16:07 pm »
Do you freaks really need all those video animations? With my crappy internet connection it takes me 3 mins to load my own topic..........

On topic, also lances with flag, that would be really really awesome.

ATS wins for a simple reason. They ban all the good players on the other side. lol

On a more serious note, I wouldnt care, if I lose a few more rounds as usual, and I think most people feel the same.

What is more important? Winning 2 rounds more a day, or having fun with your clanmates?

I think most people would rather go down shoulder on shoulder with their clanmates than win cos of 2 or 3 good Mercs.

Especially once your build is finished. Who cares. Upkeep is so low, everyone (heavy cavalry, thats my fav class btw, is the only exception) can use good stuff all the time even with x1 for ages.

Offline Olwen

• Earl
  • Renown: 419
  • Infamy: 222
  • cRPG Player Sir White Pawn
  • A shadow among others
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2011, 08:52:10 pm »
yes for the idea but stop the trashtalk about us ^^ if you wanna claim everywhere that you can beat us easily let's organize a battle 10vs10 or 15vs15 and if you win i'll let you saying that we suck, otherwise stop this kidness, open challenge for anyone who think he can beat us btw

Offline Joxer

• Knight
  • Renown: 55
  • Infamy: 53
  • cRPG Player
    • View Profile
  • Game nicks: Autolycus Joxer_The_Mighty Salmoneus
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2011, 09:47:54 pm »
This pikes with banners thing has nothing to do with you riding an armored tank?  :rolleyes: Anyways I wouldn't mind a banner. Better yet a violet scarf from a pretty lady would be nice.  :twisted:
Why is everybody telling me to think? I think, I just don't show it.